Having a lot of anxiety

Including Post Partum Depression, Post Traumatic Stress Disorder & flashbacks.

Moderators: tgger007, teddi, Schatje

Having a lot of anxiety

Postby ladybug » Dec 09, 2005 6:13 am

I've lurked before, but am basically new here. I will be doing an FET (that's IVF terminology for frozen embryo transfer) in January and I'm having a lot of anxiety about being pregnant for so many reasons. I have had 8 pregnancies, 7 of which were miscarriages, and all were HG pregnancies. My experience with doctors and nurses has run the gamut from abusive and/or ignorant to very smart, compassionate and medically aggressive.

I have tried literally everything except steroids. I've done acupuncture, liver cleanses beforehand, homeopathy, Vit B6, Unisom, Zofran, Phenergan, Reglan (hello, extrapyramidal reaction!), Benadryl, and a few other things I don't even remember. Nothing works. A high enough dose of Benadryl will put me to sleep though, so I guess I can't pooh pooh that benefit.

I consulted with Dr. Goodwin (bless him!) and will probably try steroids early on in pregnancy if my FET works. I am willing to accept the risk of the steroids but my biggest fear is that they too won't work.

What is adding to my anxiety is that we now live in Israel and the entire medical system and attitude is different here. I was able to connect to Shana (hi Shana, if you are reading this) because I interviewed an OB who happens to be her OB and he very kindly put us in touch with each other. So I think at least I have found a doctor here who is understanding as well as a new friend who can share her hard earned wisdom. But everything I have heard about the medical system here from so many people is cause for concern. Women drop babies all the time here and you are expected to be tough about it. To top it off, the medical system here will not arrange for HGers to have IV fluids in a home setting -- they are just simply rigid about this, so your choice is to go in the hospital (horrors) or to go to the clinic (but only if they aren't "too busy" for you though) or stay at home and dehydrate to death.

The thought of facing another pregnancy which may or may not survive AND having to deal with HG AND having to deal with it in this country is just getting me down. I'm thankful that I have no small children to take care of -- my one surviving child is grown and out of the house. But we had hoped to have several children and I just don't see how that is ever going to happen.

I don't expect any answers, just wanted to vent.
ladybug

Postby IslandDreamer » Dec 09, 2005 6:34 am

Hi,

Just wanted to offer you some support and encouragement. I'm so very sorry for all you've been through with miscarrying your babies and the hideous HG. We're here for you. I'm so glad you contacted Dr. Goodwin!

Love,
Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby JennyK » Dec 09, 2005 11:11 am

I haven't tried steroids myself, but I have read on here that for some it is their miracle cure when nothing else worked. For others it doesn't help. I'm sure many fall in between, too. It sounds like it's at least a good thing to try.

What are the horrors of the hospitals in Israel? If it's not too awful, I say just park yourself in the hospital with an IV as much as you need. It's a shame you can't get it at home since it sounds like that's what you really need.

I'm sorry for all your losses. I hope the FET is successful and the pregnancy sticks.
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Rose » Jan 05, 2006 2:53 pm

Ladybug,

I just joined and I hope you see this. I can't believe it because I am actually living in Israel, and I am just barely recovering from HG (2nd trimester). I did go to the hospital (Haddassah), and while it wasn't the greatest of experiences, it wasn't the worst. My doctor wasn't as aggressive as I'd have wished, but in the hospital they were fairly understanding and said they see women with HG quite often.

If you would like to meet, I'd be more than happy. I will try to e-mail you (I haven't even checked if I can).

Joy
Rose

Return to Anxiety & Depression During & After HG