Finished Adoption Paperwork!

Share your questions about and experiences with adoption or surrogacy pregnancy alternatives.

Moderators: Atsie, caleighbelle47

Finished Adoption Paperwork!

Postby Ivydragon » Feb 21, 2006 3:49 pm

I just posted a huge letter and lost it. :(

We're turning our adoption paperwork in today. Paperwork on finances, taxes, employment, family history, family background, family education, employment and hobbies, personal hobbies, adoption preferences, fingerprinting, Drs. exams for each family member, dear birthmom letter, and 45 multipart questions each, photo collage - all done!

Oh, and our first $1,000. Non-refundable. 4:00 o'clock. :)

We are so excited!

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby bibliojo » Feb 21, 2006 7:10 pm

It's after 4:00 so I'm guessing you're $1000 poorer and have less paperwork around the house! :D I hope this works out for you guys and you find the perfect child to add to your family!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Atsie » Feb 21, 2006 8:33 pm

That is great! Does that mean now you are just waiting for a baby match?
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Feb 21, 2006 9:16 pm

WOW, congrats! Where from, and what age are you looking for?
Sarah
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby Ivydragon » Feb 22, 2006 1:57 pm

We'll be adopting domestic, as we just cannot afford to go foreign. We're open to a child under the age of 3 1/2 -4 years old. We don't want to disturb our birth order unless it's a sibling pair and one is older and younger than Adam. We'd be fine with twins or siblings, but fact of the matter is that in domestic adoption outside of the foster care system, very very few birthmoms decide to stop parenting a 2 year old. We'll probably be adopting an infant simply because that's what is most commonly available. We have no preference to the sex or race of the child, either.

We don't know from where the baby or child will come. LDS Family Services is a National Agency, and we will have a page on their adoption website all about us. A birthmom from anywhere in the country, and any walk of life could see our profile and choose us.

Although we have our paperwork in, and have paid our initial $1,000 (and I thoroughly enjoyed writing that check myself), we are actually just beginning the home study process. We have individual hour interviews on the 8th in the afternoon, and then we will set the homestudy date for them to come and see our home. We're going to be working on our Birthmom letter after receiving feedback about it, from adoption workers that actually work with birthmoms, so we're excited about their input. We are still waiting for my fingerprint results, and two of our referrals have not returned their referrals, so we are responsible for reminding them, and we can start working on our website page, although no one will see it, yet.

So we're not yet licensed to adopt, and until we are, the agency won't show our profile to anyone, although our friends/relatives/acquaintances can still be on the lookout for us, and help us find a baby, so not yet to the sit and wait stage, although it's coming soon.

The best part was watching our adoption worker make a check mark next to each thing we'd brought in, and then knowing that we'd brought everything we could, except a disk we forgot, which can be fixed with a simple email. Gratifying - and he's just as excited as we feel. Very cool.

It's surreal, though, I've been working on this paperwork for 6 months, and I sat on the couch last night and reallized that I had nothing to do to further the paperwork today, and that's when it sunk in that it was done. Now, on to the basement. We are just over 1/2 done spacking our basement, and all the sheetrock is finally done. We have 4 unfinished rooms that must be finished before our homestudy, in my opinion. Insert a nervous laugh here, because we've been working on that for 9 months!

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby caleighbelle47 » Feb 23, 2006 3:35 am

Congrats on finally getting that part done and out of the way. I really wish you the best in finding that child you're waiting for.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Return to Adoption & Surrogacy