Another option for us

Share your questions about and experiences with adoption or surrogacy pregnancy alternatives.

Moderators: Atsie, caleighbelle47

Another option for us

Postby jollyGG » Oct 06, 2006 9:13 am

We always planned that we would wait a few years after our last child was born to be sure we were completely done and then my husband would have a vasectomy. Well, by the middle of my second pregnancy it was clear that I couldn't put my family through another pregnancy. So I planned a tubiligation at the same time I had my c-section with my daughter. I sometimes look at my sweet little girl and think how much I wish we could have more. But, I know I never want to be pregnant again. I am at peace with that decision most of the time. Because I realize that we have not shut the door to more children. We have only shut the door to more pregnancies and that is how we want it.
However, we have never considered adoption. We have decided that once our children are a little older we will become foster parents. If that process leads to an odoption we are open to that, however that is not our end goal.
For the time being I'm just enjoying my sweet little baby with everything I have because I know this will be the last time. We plan to foster teens to start out with.
Is being a foster parent an option anyone else has considered?
jollyGG

That is so cool....

Postby BethersinMN » Oct 07, 2006 8:56 pm

That is such a neat idea. Good luck!
BethersinMN- Justin 1/9/96 SEVERE HG (9 wks-36.5 wks) Ryan 4/18/09 (HG & Severe Preeclampsia and Hellp at 25 wks emerg c-sec 29 weeks) and 4 beautiful angels 05/21/04, 11/16/04, 7/28/06 & 10/6/12 forever loved with God & my parents till we are all together. We have begun another journey to bring another Baby-Love home. God please grant us faith, strength, courage, patientence and love through this each and every day.
BethersinMN
HG Diva

Postby Ivydragon » Oct 19, 2006 12:26 am

We were foster parents - but specifically for the purpose of adoption. I've thought about maybe bineg a foster parent for teens when my kids are all grown up. In the mean time we've thought about hosting foreign exchange students a lot, (we had one 2 years ago) but right now adopting is our current focus, and it kind of depends on how big the family ends up being on whether or not we'll have room to host foreign exchange students.

It seems like decades before my little ones will be out, lol. Of course, if we adopt an infant, I suppose that's pretty accurate. I really have a lot of respect for couples who can just do straight foster care - letting the kids back into homes that are better but not as good as you or I would want is difficult at best. I could have done it, but it would have been heart wrenching. Having an absolute belief that you are there to be a safe place for the kids until the family can be healed and reunited is really, really important from what I saw while we were foster parents ourselves. I know that sometimes kids are removed wrongly - but that is not usually the case, and the parents are struggling with priorities that compete sadly with taking care of the kids. So hard to watch.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Return to Adoption & Surrogacy