disability insurance and hospital insurance

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

disability insurance and hospital insurance

Postby JennyK » Jun 28, 2005 4:52 pm

In preparation for my next pregnancy, I have been doing research regarding disability and hospital insurance. The disability policy pays about 2/3 of my net income if I cannot work due to disability or injury. Hospital insurance pays a fixed amount for each day in the hospital.

In case anyone else is interested, here is what I've found:

AFLAC will write policies so long as you haven't had HG within the past 12 months. I have talked to other HGers who have gotten claims paid by AFLAC for subsequent HG pregnancies, so I am hopeful they won't give me any grief over it. I was blatant with my agent about why I need the policy and she helped me figure out the best options based on my needs.

The premiums are high, but well worth it if I am not able to work and/or need to be hospitalized. (Nothing would make me happier than to pay the premiums and then have a healthy pregnancy!) Below are the premiums quoted for me along with a summary the benefits I think I am likely to take advantage of. They are based on my age, occupation and income, so your premiums may be different, but at least it will give you a ballpark.

AFLAC – Voluntary Indemnity Plan (hospital insurance)
premium $27.90/mo
benefits:
$100/day for days 1-7; day means 14 hours
$100/short stay; short stay means 6 hours
includes hospital stay for childbirth
can purchase initial hospitalization rider for $500 benefit

AFLAC – Personal Sickness Indemnity Plan (hospital insurance)
premium (including $1000 initial hospitalization rider)
$62.25/mo
benefits:
$100/day for 1-15 days; day means 14 hours
$250 initial hospitalization; can purchase rider for total of $1000 for initial hospitalization
$300 for delivery
includes hospital stay for childbirth

AFLAC – Personal Disability Income Protector
premium (paid with post-tax dollars): $105.20/mo
benefits:
approx. 2/3 of my net income
covers 6 weeks post partum
7-day waiting period for benefits for sickness
pays 100% of benefit so long as I earn less than 80% of my base salary due to disability

There is also hospital insurance available to me through my profession, which may be a better deal than AFLAC's policy because it pays more per day and covers home health expenses. Check to see if you are a member of a professional organization that offers insurance.

It gives me peace of mind knowing that this insurance will help me financially. I can't control the fact that I am likely to get hyperemesis again, but I can be prepared. I hope this information will be helpful to someone else out there who is planning to do it again!
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Jun 28, 2005 7:31 pm

Jenny,

I'm not from the States so we have a different set up here but I know that this will help many of the ladies on here! Thanks for compiling and posting all of this info! Maybe you may want to post it also in the Employment/Disability folder too? I hope that this insurance plan will help pay all the bills and also give you some peace of mind when you are sick!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby JennyK » Jun 28, 2005 10:22 pm

Joanna,

I forgot that a lot of you guys on here are Canadian and from other places around the world. I'm not sure what you get when you're out sick, but I know you get better drugs (bendectin) and better maternity leave than we do in the States. I'm ready to defect! ;)
Jenny
Annie, January '04
Will, August '06
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Jun 29, 2005 12:11 am

Jenny,

Yes, we may have a better maternity leave system (I just don't know how some of you women manage to go back after only 6 weeks off! :shock: I was still a basketcase when my ds was that old!) and yes, we do have Diclectin here in Canada (and unfortunately only in Canada too :( but I have heard the there is a push to have it reapproved in the States) However, that said, you guys in the US have much easier access to Zofran!! Not to say we can't get it up here, but we REALLY have to fight for it. I have actually yet to see a country though that has it all together in terms of treating HG. Unfortunately, I don't think that will happen until there is some serious research on HG done and doctors start educating themselves and stop crackering us! :roll:

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG