Detox Plan?

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Detox Plan?

Postby tryingtobebrave » May 26, 2005 12:19 pm

I've read about detoxing before ttc. The info is a bit scattered though. I think it would be really helpful to know what other detox plans are. If you have a plan, it would be great if you could post it here.

If you have already detoxed and conceived, could you please post whether you feel that your detox protocol was helpful or not.

Also someone posted about the "Detox Diet" book. If anyone knows what this is could you post the full title and author. There are several books with similar titles.

Thanks
Amy

Precious baby girl lost November 1994 (16 weeks)

Nathaniel (Mother's Day Miracle, 2004)
tryingtobebrave

Postby bibliojo » May 26, 2005 2:39 pm

Hi Clarie,

I'm afraid I never really looked in a detox program so I'm hardly an expert (just love my food too much to not go any longer than absolutely I have to without some of my favourite foods - eg chocolate -YUMMY! :wink: ) But there are some that have tried detox and have had some success. Kristy and Ischa are two that come to mind. There are some others that have detoxed as well and are currently ttc. I'm sure they will add to this thread their experiences thus far...And of course if I find any more info for you in the meantime I'll post it!

Good luck!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Jolene » May 26, 2005 3:32 pm

Claire,

The title and author of the book are The Detox Diet Updated by Elson M. Haas, MD. This book is not about pregnancy, it was just something that was recommended to me to cleanse my body of chemicals. I hadn't been preparing for HG when I did this, and I did the detox very moderately. I hope all goes well for you.

Jolene
Jolene
HG Diva

Postby tryingtobebrave » May 27, 2005 11:00 am

Joanna, I think I am going to try to detox soon and then just try to eat in a very healthy nutrient rich way for about 6 months before ttc, because I also find it too hard to just give up everything yummy. I'd like to drop a few pounds though and so I thought this would be a good way to do both.

Jolene, thanks for the title and author. I tried to find it last night, but the bookstore was out. Haas is apparently the detox expert.

I'd love to hear any detox protocols that any of you have going and the results if you have already conceived! There are lots of tips buried in the threads, but I just thought it would be helpful for me and others to combine them in one thread.
Amy

tryingtobebrave

Postby Kadinga » May 28, 2005 12:10 am

Claire,

I've done an informal caffeine detox, because I was drinking sometimes 6 or 7 cups a day, plus at least one cup of tea and I'm a chocolate addict as well. :oops: I thought this would be a good idea, as I'm pretty sure that going cold turkey on coffee and tea last time (when I realised they were contributing to my nausea) added caffeine withdrawal to my already sad state of affairs.

I started by setting myself times when I was alowed a hot drink, and then reducing the number of times a day. I actually worked on cutting out the breakfast cup first because it was the hardest to do without. Then I moved on to only allowing tea, and then cancelled those out as well. I would say that it's now a month or so since I last had a coffee, except for a lapse on Wednesday when I had a coffee and a tea while we were travelling. I felt awful on Thursday - more so in a physical sense than in a guilty sense! I found that interesting....

I'm now having only one or two hot drinks a day, and they're hot chocolates or Milos (Milo is an Aussie thing, heavily fortified with iron and various vitamins, a little like Ovaltine). I am also having one choccy treat a day, and I'm trying to post-pone them as late in the day as possible, so that when it gets close to bed-time I can tell myself that I've done SO WELL, maybe I can just go without. :)

I know you were interested in more serious programs than this, but I thought I'd start the ball rolling for you, anyway. I'll let you know if it makes any difference (first real attempt at ttc will be "concluded" next week).

Also, I've read up a lot of Dr Haas' information on a website you may have already seen, but I'll give you the link anyway, just in case: http://www.healthy.net/nutrit/specdiet/ ... trodet.asp

Good luck

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby ischa » May 31, 2005 3:44 pm

Hi, Sorry it took me so long to post on this one. We went away for a few days.

I am now 8 weeks and I am feeling a bit off but nothing more than that. I just saw my acu. and I always feel significantly better the day after I see him. Also, we went away and were busy over the Holiday so that added to the down feeling. The amazing thing this pregnancy is I noticed I may have an off day but the next day I feel much better. Still no vomiting!

Here is what I did detox wise..I copied it from another folder...

I have been following a liver detox plan and have been seeing and acupuncturist for about 7 months now.

Here is what I have done so far. I started taking Milk Thistle and Dandelion Root, B6, calcium with mag, and zinc, Vit K. I also have been taking and Essiac Tea, the brand name is Ojibwa Tea of life. It is supposed to be one of the best liver detox plans. I think this has been a huge help as since I have taken it (started last summer) I have been extremely healthy. No winter colds... You can find it online under Ojibwa tea of life.

When I started the tea I also did an extremely strict detox diet for one month. I planned to do it longer but one night I got out of control and drank a Coke and then fell completely off the wagon. However, for a month I ate absolutle nothing that wasn't completely natural. I also ate no white sugar and no fat. For the first 8 days I was miserable then it became much easier (until the Coke, followed by the chips, followed by the BK cheeseburger.) Since I found out I was pregnant I am again limiting my fats.
ischa

Postby tryingtobebrave » Jun 01, 2005 4:47 pm

Thanks for the reply. I think I am going to follow a similar route. I am going to try a strict detox for as long as I can stand it and do accupuncture starting in July. We are going to TTC in December or January.
Amy

tryingtobebrave

Return to Preparation for HG