Pregnant and nervous

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Pregnant and nervous

Postby MaddyLou » May 25, 2005 1:26 pm

I'm new to this board, so I'd better start off by introducing myself a bit. I'm a mum to a 22-month old little girl and had HG throughout my first pregnancy - I stopped being sick about 2 hours after my daughter was born. I had a few bad experiences with doctors during that pregnancy who wouldn't take me seriously at all even though I'd lost over 30lbs in weight... they advised me to just take warm baths, to take valium for my 'nerves', to suck ice lolly pops, to take Gaviscon, to deal with it because all women have morning sickness etc etc. I was hospitalized several times (and the hospital doctors were brilliant), but even after this, I found that my own doctor still wouldn't take it seriously. My daughter was born at full-term, but was a low birthweight - 4lb 14oz - and I don't know if the repeated slow reactions to my HG were responsible for this.

Since then, I've changed doctors, and after much soul-searching on whether or not we could cope with another pregnancy, I'm now 5 weeks pregnant. So far have no real symptoms other than tiredness, but since this is how it was until I was 6 weeks pregnant the first time around, I don't know if HG will return or not. I've got my first appointment with my doctor tomorrow and I don't know how best to handle it. Can anyone offer me any advice? I'm really scared and can't even begin to feel really pleased about this pregnancy, even though a second child is what I've been dreaming of for the past year and a half.

Maddy Lou
-x-
MaddyLou

Postby bibliojo » May 26, 2005 12:12 am

Hi Maddy Lou!

First off I just wanted to say welcome! I'm glad you found us! :)

Hmmm....what advice can I offer? Well, first I think I would make a list of what worked and what didn't work with your last pregnancy. Then look too at what other treatments there are for HG that you haven't tried/didn't know about and make note of the ones that you would want to try. From this I would build up a protocol. There are a few in this folder if you want samples of what some of us have done already. A protocol will just outline how you want to be treated and what you want done if the treatment you are already receiving isn't working as well as it should. When you go to see your doctor, I would go over your protocol with him...going over how you want your HG treated when you aren't already sick is a million times better than when you are too sick to do anything but just accept what your doctor says! I don't know how much experience your doctor has with HG but sometimes, women have to really fight for proper treatment. It's hard to do this when you are sick! However, I've just noticed that you are seeing your doctor tomorrow ( :shock: ) so I don't know how much time you will have to put something together. Just prepare something though, however limited it may be! Something is better than nothing if you are able to do it!

Also, when you see your doctor tomorrow I would ask for your prescription of whatever drug you decide to take. Then I would take that drug as soon as you start to feel sick. Studies have shown that women who begin treatment as soon as the feel the nausea coming on often fair better than women who wait until they are sick before taking medication.

Best of luck to you! I hope this preganancy will be easier for you than your last!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » May 31, 2005 12:23 am

Maddy Lou

I am so glad that you have found this site before the sickness set in. You are not at all alone in feeling frightened about this pregnancy, in fact you'd be unusual if you weren't! ((((hug))))

Our daughters are about the same age, (I think mine is 1 or 2 months younger) and if I'm successful this cycle our pregnancies will be only about 2 weeks apart. :) But even if I'm not, there are plenty of ladies here who will share the journey with you. You are not alone this time.

Joanna's advice is very good (she's a very wise lady). I hope your appointment with your doctor went well last week, and that you've been able to agree on a plan with clear action strategies. I think one of the worst things that happens to us is when care is delayed because somebody isn't convinced that it's needed yet.

I wish you all the best, or the best that is possible.... :)

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby brianna55 » May 31, 2005 6:50 am

I'm somewhat in the same boat....

This is #3 for us(we have a 3yo and 9mo)...and with each pregnancy so far my HG has gotten worse and worse(-23lbs with the first and -63lbs with the second)...Luckily I was able to take Zofran later better than never with my 2nd....I have my first appointment this week and hope that he can prescribe it again so that I can have it on hand so that if I do begin to feel sick, we can nip this bad boy in the bud!

I can't help but feel scared that I will be so horribly sick again...a little post tramatic syndrome....and the iv scars still remind me of how bad it really can get with HG.....

This place really helped me with all of my prego...and I'm sure you'll find comfort as well Maddy! Congrats sweetie!!
brianna55

Postby MaddyLou » May 31, 2005 7:11 am

Joanna wrote:Hi Maddy Lou!

First off I just wanted to say welcome! I'm glad you found us! :)

Also, when you see your doctor tomorrow I would ask for your prescription of whatever drug you decide to take. Then I would take that drug as soon as you start to feel sick. Studies have shown that women who begin treatment as soon as the feel the nausea coming on often fair better than women who wait until they are sick before taking medication.

Joanna

Thank you so much for all your advice, Joanna - really appreciated. My appointment with the doctor went well, I thought - she actually listened to what I was saying and told me that because of my history, the moment I am sick I'm to ring the surgery and they'll get me my 'usual' anti-sickness medication. They wouldn't quibble about it and they wouldn't treat it as ordinary morning sickness. It was such a relief and although we're both still nervous at the possibility of me being so ill again, at least I won't be patronised and ignored as I was last time around.

Maddy Lou
-x-
MaddyLou

Postby MaddyLou » May 31, 2005 7:17 am

Kadinga wrote:Maddy Lou

I think one of the worst things that happens to us is when care is delayed because somebody isn't convinced that it's needed yet.

I wish you all the best, or the best that is possible.... :)

Amanda

Thanks, Amanda. I totally agree with what you say about care being delayed - I think that's been my biggest fear. I was made to feel that it was all my fault by so many people during the last pregnancy that I think I contributed to delayed treatment too as I was reluctant to admit I wasn't coping. One of the first doctors I saw said to me 'all women get morning sickness, the real question is why aren't you coping'. I know now that it wasn't my fault, but nobody tells you how guilty HG can make you feel, do they?

Maddy Lou
-x-
MaddyLou

Postby bibliojo » May 31, 2005 11:15 am

I'm so happy, Maddy Lou, that your doctor took you seriously and is going to be more aggressive with your treatment! I don't think there is anything worse than being so sick and then told that you should just sip some ginger ale and eat some crackers before you get out of bed in the morning! :? Continue to be proactive in your treatment...you've been through this once and you know what the warning signs are when you need fluids and/or new or more medication. If you stay on top of things hopefully things won't be as bad. And please don't feel guilty about not being able to cope...when you have HG you are really suffering!! Unfortunately, few people truly understand that and you will probably have to explain to people over and over how bad HG is. But remember you are not being "lazy" or a "wimp"!! Please keep us updated on how you are doing and come here for support from all the lovely ladies here. We truly understand what is like to be so sick!

Best wishes,
Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » May 31, 2005 6:59 pm

Maddy Lou, I am really happy for you that your new doctor is so much more pro-active. Doesn't that make you feel better? :)

Don't ever feel guilty. You now have hundreds of friends who know what you're going through, and who know how big a decision it was for you to put yourself and your family through it again.

Good luck for a smoother run this time

:)

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Return to Preparation for HG