can you clarify???

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

can you clarify???

Postby stephanie greene » Jun 16, 2004 4:18 pm

I had a PICC line with IV Zofran during my first pg. I have read on many postings about a Zofran pump...what is that? Also, the TPN, NG Tube and G tube...when are these used? One more(smile) I read on a post that Zofran is for vomitting only and doesn't help with Nausea. Is that true? I had never heard that. I thought that I was given IV Zofran for both. However, looking back I stopped vommitting when I got the PICC and IV Zofran but the nausea was 24/7 EXCRUTIATING! sorry for all of the questions... I appreciate the time you all give to help.

planning to TTC in Aug.
Stephanie Greene
stephanie greene
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 16, 2004 5:18 pm

A pump goes in the leg and delivers timed-release meds. Zofran isn't the only med that can be administered with an SQ pump. TPN is nutrition delivered through a PICC or some other kind of line. It depends on the doctor when TPN is started. Most go by weight loss to determine when the body no longer has enough stores to feed the pregnancy; some doctors are proactive and start TPN fairly early, and others like mine wait until HG continues into the 2nd trimester. An NG tube goes down the throat, and a G-tube goes directly into the stomach. I *think*! lol - I've hung around enough to be fairly sure, but at least that points you in the right direction. Someone will clarify details and correct me if I'm wrong!

MOST women note that Zofran stops their vomiting but not the nausea. It worked the opposite for me--stopped nausea but not vomiting--but at least it helped something! There are many meds to pair with the Zofran to try to tame the nausea, but lots of HGers are troubled by it through to the end. :( How exciting that you're planning a new baby! How old is your child?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Subcutaneous pumps zofran and reglan

Postby carriedodson » Jun 17, 2004 2:59 pm

Stefanie,

Good luck ttc in August. If you're successful, you'll have an emerald (May) baby :) The zofran pump is a subcutaneous pump that is inserted in your upper thigh or abdomen (doesn't hurt baby) Most people use their thigh. (there are more spots to use)
It is inserted in the fatty tissue (not a vein) and stays in 24 hours a day and you switch site locations every 2 days. Matria healthcare usually sets you up with these and your dr might recommend a reglan pump first to see how you do. This type of therapy is referred to as infusion therapy. You can have this in combination with oral meds.

You can not submerge yourself in water with the pump. It was a pain in the you know what to take a shower. I had to wrap my leg with saran wrap and put my pump in a waterproof pouch that went over my head. I missed my baths! If I knew we had to change the site I would take a bath and enjoy being pump free for a few minutes but I could tell that I didn't have it in cause I would be sick pretty quick.
I had a reglan pump from 6 wks to 6 months. It made me very lethargic and in retrospect I think caused depression but it is so hard to tell when you are sick and not really feeling well what causes mood changes. I do think it got me over the hump though especially in the early days when I was in the hospital at 5.5 wks. I also took oral zofran. Zofran never helped with nausea just with vomiting. I also gave myself boluses of the reglan when I needed it with the help of my nurses over the phone at Matria. Let me know if you need to know anything else
Hugs,
Carrie :roll:
Mommy of "Noodle" (5-19-03)
#2 edd 3-15-05
carriedodson
Welcomed Friend

that helps...thank you

Postby stephanie greene » Jun 18, 2004 3:38 pm

Thank you! That helps. My daughter, McKenna, will be two next Friday. smile. The love of my life!!! Only a love so amazing could posses me to put my body and mind through another pregnancy!
stephanie greene
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Jun 27, 2004 3:48 pm

Awww, happy birthday to little McKenna! :lol:

Two is such a great age--non-stop energy and charm. I collected 3 of the little critters myself, and I can't imagine life without a single one of them. Well worth the journey to Hell and back each time. Good luck to you!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to Preparation for HG