Severe HGers - please consider...

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Severe HGers - please consider...

Postby MamaLily » Apr 07, 2005 10:50 pm

Hi all!

I've been away for such a long time, and for some reason the computer still makes me more nauseated than anything else. But, I did want to post a few things that I have learned the 2nd time around.

#1 - Get nutrition sooner rather than later. My 1st pregnancy I didn't get the NG tube until I was 11 weeks along and had lost 18 pounds. My HG is the kind where once the vomiting starts, I can't eat or drink anything for days and days. So, I am definitely a good candidate for nutritional therapy. And I believe VERY STRONGLY that any severe HGer ought to receive nutrition as soon as the non-stop vomiting/weight loss begins. This 2nd pregnancy I had the NG tube placed at 8 weeks - and it made such a difference! I can't even tell you the difference between weeks 8-11 with my two pregnancies. The first time I just had to lay completely still in a quiet, dark room - without any kind of contact with anybody or anything. But this 2nd time around I was able to talk with my family a little bit, hold and kiss my daughter every day, shower/bathe every few days (usually by myself!), etc. I am convinced that the difference was having nutrition earlier rather than later. At one point my NG tube clogged and I tried to do without it for a couple of days - and during those days without it I started feeling as miserable as I did last time. So, I think that the HG was just as severe this time. The difference is that I didn't have to make up for so much lost time.

#2 - When I talked with the Nutrition Expert Nurse at the hospital, she said that HGers who get an NG tube actually feel better than those who have TPN through PICC lines. She deals with all patients who receive supplemental nutrition so I respect her option. She believes that using the digestive tract makes the difference. This 2nd time around I felt relief from the nausea within an hour or so of beginning the tube feeding. It was amazing...I was in the hospital two days before Christmas, feeling miserable. I hadn't had anything to eat or drink in several days. But as soon as the feeding started, I felt better. I wasn't cured and still felt pretty crummy, but I was so grateful for any relief!

#3 - Steroids are no longer recommended highly for HG. Two peris told me that recent studies show that steroid use for HG does not seem beneficial. It does not reduce hospitalization or help patients to gain weight, etc. This was all news to me! I did not have steroids this 2nd pregnancy, and I'm convinced that they added to the horrible nausea I felt last time. My peri confirmed that steroids may add to nausea!! I wish I could have avoided them last time...

#4 - Zofran ODT may work better than the regular tablets. When I was the sickest and couldn't keep anything down, I tried the ODT and felt some relief. I guess it's just better for me to bypass my stomach in getting meds & nutrition.

#5 - Watch your potassium. When I was in the hospital, they checked my blood and realized that I was low in potassium. (Not a big surprise, I guess, considering that I'd been vomiting a lot and eating/drinking nothing at all.) Anyway, they gave me some potassium through my IV and I think it helped me feel a lot better! When I came out of the hospital, I felt better than I had in weeks.

Got to run!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby nomore » Apr 08, 2005 9:44 am

Anna,

Thanks for your imput. Based on this info and what Aimee said about the NJ tube, I am going to have a nice conversation with my Peri about it at my next appoitment.

Question:

Can an NG or NJ tube be used for hydration also??? Or is it just for food? Also, can anyone tell me how "obvouis' it is that you have the tube?Just trying to figure a few more things out here for my ever revising protocol!

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » Apr 14, 2005 10:57 pm

Anna,

It's interesting what you say about the steroids and the potassium. I had been creditting the steroids with my turn around last time, but at the same hospital visit my third IV bag was potassium. It burned like crazy and I had to have an ice pack for my arm, but maybe it made a bigger difference than I realised.....

good luck with your prep

Amanda
1 HG darling, Heather, 19 months.
Planning to start ttc in May
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby JennyF » Apr 15, 2005 2:46 pm

Wow, my hat is off to you Anna for being able to do the NG tube! I tried, but found it unbearable (the tube moved each time I vomited) and opted for the PICC line instead.

Robin - the NG tube is definitely noticeable....because it's entered through your nose. They can also do a feeding tube directly into your stomach, but not sure you want to go that route. I say, give the NG tube a try because it is better to feed your stomach.
JennyF

Anna, I'm so excited for you!

Postby acorn26 » Jun 01, 2005 3:05 pm

Dear Anna,
I just read your post, which means you are way way way prego!
You helped me so very much with my pregnancy and I now want to be there for you!

Please let me know if you are able to receive phone calls and would like to chat, even for 2 minutes a day....I'd love to be your phone buddy.

You are so amazing and strong, and I know you will make it through this very long journey.

If you are able to reply to me, great. If not, please know that I'll keep looking for your posts, and will do my best to be there for you the way you were there for me.

Sending you wishes to feel as well as possible under the circumstances.

Amy (aka: acorn26)
acorn26
Devoted to You

Return to Preparation for HG