Help getting things ready for the baby

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Help getting things ready for the baby

Postby wannabemom » Jun 11, 2004 2:06 pm

I just wanted to introduce myself because you will probably being seeing more of me. My name is Danielle and I have suffered from HG in 3 prevous pregnancies unfortunately none that I have been able to keep. 2 years later and lots of planning I'm trying to be completely prepared.

I'm currently not working because we basically know that won't be a option. I have stock piled a bunch of things to have on hand so I don't need to go buy them or worry about them. My biggest concern is getting ready for the baby and having all the things needed to for the baby. Unfortunately I think my husband on his own shopping would be mistake unless he knew exactly what to get. I was hoping some of you had some pointers on how you are planning to get ready for the baby and the nursery. Thanks for all your help I really appreciate it. :)
Last edited by wannabemom on Jun 13, 2004 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aimee

2 time HG Survivor
Kristin 6/29/05
Brooklyn 11/20/06
wannabemom

Postby HdGAMom2B » Jun 11, 2004 3:06 pm

HI there, I wanted to know what you are stock-piling? It sounds like you have a plan, and i'd love to know what youre doing. Are you stock-piling foods,a nd if so, what kinds? We're planning to TTC, and we would love any and all input about what to GET before we conceive., especially with HG. I've gotten B6,a nd i know Unisom. I heard that mashed potatoes are good. If you've got info, dish!

Christy
*We're pregnant!! 30 wks -due March 24th, 2005
*Failed adoption after 6 wonderful days (baby Claire Delaney, b. 5/6/04)
*'Therapeutic Termination' at 11 wks. due to mistreated HG in first pg, term. 6/15/99
HdGAMom2B
Welcomed Friend

Postby wannabemom » Jun 11, 2004 7:21 pm

Hi Christy
I'm actually stocking up on things like toilet paper, shampoo, moisturizers, chapstick and things like that. I also have started to get a few easy things like frozen dinners for my husband to have on hand. I'm actually going to get fortified cereal, pudding, Jell-O and probably other bland foods, actually mashed potatoes are a good idea so I will get some. I also went and bought a few tubes of that Cinnamon Crest Toothpaste I really had a hard time with the minty flavor so hopefully the cinnamon will work out better.

I also have started calling around to get quotes on house cleaning. Which might be something you might want to think of. My husband bless his heart just really is awful at cleaning and I would want the house clean because I remember how awful it was to be sick in bed just knowing the house was a disaster.

This might sound strange but I'm hoping to find a few masks like the one dentists wear in the hopes of them blocking some of the smells. Not sure if that would even work but I just remember not standing any smells of any kinds.

When I think of something else that might be helpful I promise I will share

Good luck with TTC Christy :) :)
Aimee

2 time HG Survivor
Kristin 6/29/05
Brooklyn 11/20/06
wannabemom

Postby Ivydragon » Jun 13, 2004 1:31 am

Babies honestly don't need very much at first. A small crib or bassinet to start is fine, an infant carseat is a must have. Basics - newborn diapers (more than you think), wipes, onsies, sleepers, and a few blankets, burp clothes (cloth diapers are most absorbent for this). Laundry detergent - a new baby DOUBLES the laundry immediately. Don't forget you'll get gifts, too. If by chance you are super super sick all the way to the very end of your pg and totally unable to go out and shop, you can always shop online! Have a few basics, neutral colored if you want, and you'll be good to go for those first few weeks of adjustment. They grow out of everything so fast, anyways, it won't really matter what they wear.

I promise that all the hype over having the nursery ready is all about what the Parents emotionally need, and not all about the true neccessities at all. If you DO want a traditional nursery, work on it once the babe is here IF (and there is no guarantee you'll have HG the whole time) you cannot work on it before the baby is born. The baby will never remember when the nursery was done. Furthermore, unless it lasts until they are like 4-5, they won't ever remember how you decorated it, anyways, so it won't matter if it's done when they are 6 months old, or 6 months in utero!

If your dh really wants to be involved in purchases, etc., then make a deal with him. He can go out and shop, and buy "options", bring them home, you each pick a favorite, and the rest are returned. Not the simplest way to shop, but still getting the goal accomplished. Just make sure that it's not all returned for "store credit" - some places do that.

It's so fun to respond to a post like this! I presume we all know how to go hog wild on baby clothes and furniture, and everything else, lol.

Andy
Mom to Aaron 14 (HG), Anna 11 (HG), Adam 8 (adopted), Andrew 8 (adopted), fostering a newborn . . .
Ivydragon
Devoted to You

Postby galit » Jun 13, 2004 7:14 am

Hi there,

I started a post in the "Protocols for HG", Non Medical Protocols subfolder. This is a list of things to do and buy in preparation for HG. I would love it if you can make some suggestions to add to this list so it can be kept as a reference for others.

galit
galit

Postby aaronsmommy » Jun 13, 2004 12:14 pm

I did all my shopping online from my laptop in bed. Babiesrus has a nice registry and my parents ended up buying almost everything on it (my bargain hunter dad would ask "do you really want that pattern or would any one do?" but he learned to stick to the list although he always bought the stuff elsewhere on sale).
I could only look at pictures of what I was getting, but I spent a lot of time reading reviews on amazon and looking at what people were suggesting on various expecting clubs. I ended up with great stuff (a friend of mine would always say how my stuff was so much better than hers).
We didn't buy a crib until my son was 2 months old because I actually wanted to see them, but he didn't use it until he was 9 months so that was fine.
The only baby shower I got was from the nurses in the hospital when I was 34 weeks.
Doing the baby shopping was one of my few fond memories of pg and it always helped with the boredom and best of all helped me re-focus on why I was suffering.
So I'd say just wait!
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby wannabemom » Jun 21, 2004 1:44 pm

Thanks for helpful hints on getting ready for the baby. Unfortunatly we recently moved so most of my friends and family are out of state so I will be doing this on my own. I have an labtop all set up for me for some online shopping. Hopefully I will have some moments where I feel well enough to get out and shop. :D
Aimee

2 time HG Survivor
Kristin 6/29/05
Brooklyn 11/20/06
wannabemom

Return to Preparation for HG