The Pill and vitamin B depletion

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

The Pill and vitamin B depletion

Postby dbarr » Feb 23, 2005 4:01 pm

I read today that the Pill can cause vitamin B-6 and B-12 depletion. I got pregnant just one month after coming off the pill, and am wondering if this played a part.

Anyone have any insight?

(I apologize if this is a topic discussed in the past and I missed it - I'm new to this sight, and trying to learn all I can before my next pregnancy).
dbarr

Postby bibliojo » Feb 23, 2005 10:51 pm

Hi,

I've never heard of this before...interesting thought though. Are you on the B6 right now? Maybe that can make up the definicies in time for when you get pregnant. Motherisk in Toronto recommends 25 mg of B6 3 times a day. That, however, can be rather impractical since I have never seen it in 25 mg doses and remembering to take it 3 times a day???? I have enough trouble remembering taking my vitamins once a day! :lol: So I've just been taking one 50 mg dose a day. A downside to the B6 is that some women have reported that it didn't make them feel so great. There's a post about it in this folder titled something like B6? No worries about not knowing what's already been posted about or not -- there is A LOT of info here! I know it took me a good few weeks to get through it all! :) So post away...we're here to help!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby dbarr » Feb 25, 2005 3:51 pm

Thanks for your response.

I have been taking B-6, but didn't realize I should break it down for it to be effective, so I bought a pill cutter and am taking 25 mg whenever I remember to.

The thing is, B-6 and Unisom didn't seem to work for me last time, so I don't know if B-6 depletion could have been a cause of HG for me. But I'm desparate to try anything to lessen my chances of having it again!!

You did mention that B-6 makes some people feel not so great - I couldn't find a posting on that. Anyone know what the side effects are?
dbarr

Postby dbarr » Feb 25, 2005 3:54 pm

Never mind - I found the previous posting on vitamin B-6.... Any closer tome and it would have bit me...
dbarr

Postby bibliojo » Feb 25, 2005 5:27 pm

You know, after a few weeks of taking the 100 mg of B6 I had the same icky feelings as described in that thread that I refered you to. So I went off the B6 for about a month, then decided to take the B6 as I could tolerate it. The funny thing is that since then I have been able to take it everyday since then with no problem. Maybe I've built a tolerance up to it? So don't give up on the B6. It may still work for you yet!

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Return to Preparation for HG