Sick for three days straight. Need help!

Discuss ways to prepare yourself, your family, and your protocol for HG.

Moderators: RebeccaM, Susannah

Sick for three days straight. Need help!

Postby Holly » Feb 07, 2005 6:46 pm

I just recenty found out that I am pregnant with my second child. My son is four years old, and when I was pregnant with him I had severe HG. I was in the hospital several times, tried compazine and had an allergic reaction, finally switched doctors and ended up with a pic line on home IV therapy. My doctor gave me premesis a week and a half ago, but I have been neasous for three days straight. I want to try and prevent it before it even starts, but my doctor said we really need to wait and see if I am going to start vomiting before she prescribes anything else. I work full time and had to miss work today, I don't know how I am going to do this. Does anyone have any advice?? Thanks, Holly
Holly

Hi Holly

Postby IslandDreamer » Feb 07, 2005 7:23 pm

Hi Holly,

There is a hopeful post in the medical professional board that states medication started immediately after a positive test has proven helpful for some women. Have you tried the unisom/b6? It worked well for me when pg with my son Chris. Zofran is another popular one here, but it didn't work for me. However, I am a fan of hydration therapy as it usually works so well. Any chance of home IVs again this time? Will the doctor prescribe that for you?

Can anyone help with your son? I know that worrying about my then 4 yo was the hardest part of the pregnancy with Hope. I just missed Chris so much (I was pretty bad and in bed all the time).

I'm sorry you had to miss work. I know how much financial stress hg adds. It's just hard. But we are here for you.

Suzanne
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby bibliojo » Feb 08, 2005 1:30 am

Hi Holly,

I'm sorry that you aren't feeling well. I do hope that we can help you figure out something to make you feel better and make things more managable for you.

As Suzanne mentioned, women who start taking drugs right away before the HG gets bad often aren't as sick as women who wait until they start vomitting to take meds. Can you print off the article that is in the medical profession board and take it to your doctor and see if then she will prescribe you something? In the meantime, the Unisom/B6 combo might be good for you to try. What meds were you on with your first pregnancy? Were they effective for you? While you aren't feeling too badly yet, can you draw up a rough protocol on how you would like to be treated if things do get worse? Some women who have gone through HG more than once have said that being prepared and knowing what to expect made for easier subsequent pregnancies.

As for your son, don't be afraid to ask people to help you out. You are going to need all the help you can get! And about work, if you do get worse can you take a short term leave from work? Having HG and the turmoil that it throws your life into is very stressful. Unfortunately that stress can also make the HG worse so try and relax. Prepare as best as you can and try to hope for the best. Do you have someone that can advocate for you when you feel you can't? Sometimes you just have to fight for better care. But whatever happens, we'll be here to help and support you however we can.

Hoping for all the best for you.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby adelmaal » Feb 14, 2005 3:27 pm

Get on the drugs! Switch doctors if you have to. There's no reason your doctor cannot prescribe meds on a just in case basis. I have had doctors in the past prescribe meds for yeast infection (just in case) right along with the prescription for antibiotics. With this pregnancy, I received a prescription for Phenergan BEFORE I started vomitting. I took it the morning I threw up for the first time and it helped immensely. Whenever I tried to go without it for a day, I would vomit 4 to 7 times a day rather than not vomitting once or not at all. There's no reason for you to spiral down that HG path if you don't have to! I have since been able to wheen on the drugs and am feeling great, which in my opinion would not be the case had I waited. JMHO...
Aryn-Leah

Alexandria Caelan, DOB 3/25/95
Cole Vincent, DOB 5/27/98
Raegan Reese, EDD July 24 2005
adelmaal
Been There Done That

Postby emily » Feb 14, 2005 9:51 pm

Yep, I agree.... new doctor and do it asap. It only takes hours to go from bad to really, really bad and you need a doctor who understands that.

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

I agree

Postby rjdecker » Feb 18, 2005 12:27 pm

I agree with everyone else, you need to get a new doctor.This isn't just plain old morning sickness and it sounds like your doctor is not really familiar with people like us. I am trying dramamine for the first time because we are trying to keep on top of the nausea before I start vomiting. It is over the counter and it seems to be helping me.
Jenny
rjdecker
Master of HG

Return to Preparation for HG