My son was worth it!

Share an uplifting story from your pregnancy or triumph over HG to help others find a way to laugh & remain hopeful. Post your children's updates, brag pics, and milestones.

Moderator: RebeccaM

My son was worth it!

Postby maggiep » Oct 21, 2004 9:15 pm

When I found out I was pregnant in April of 2003, my husband and I were so happy. I was about 3 weeks pg when I found out. Everything was going great, I felt great, and I was taking my vitamins daily. Then I woke up one morning when I was exactly 6 weeks pg, and I thought I was going to die. I couldn't get up, I couldn't eat, I couldn't drink. I work for a hospital in my area and my DR is also there. I showed up for work on Monday and went straight to his office. He gave me a script for ZOFRAN (a cancer medication used to prevent nausea while having cancer treatments) and sent me home. I took the pills (luckily I have good insurance- $30.00 copay. The meds are $1000.00 for 30 pills and I was taking a pill every 4 hours). They didn't really do much at first. The nausea was so severe it didn't really help. But I continued to take them, I would even set my alarm during the night in hopes that when I woke up I wouldn't be nauseated. I tried everything: seabands, taking unisom, vinegar, lemons, different tea's. Nothing helped.
My DR took me off work for a week at a time, I missed about 4 weeks of work. Now, you would think that working for a hospital that my co-workers and bosses would be understanding. It was just the opposite. Everyone kept saying "It's just morning sickness, why can't she work"? My bosses were looking for any reason to yell at me. One co-worker even complained that I wasnt "pulling my weight around the office". I wish all those people could feel what I felt, feel as sick as I was. I lost 20-25#'s by the time I was 25 weeks PG. I had 4 IV's during my PG (which made me feel 75% better), and continued to take my zofran. My DR had hope, and said it might get better, but it never really went away. I can't even explain how sick I felt. I wish I could. It was just so horriable. I felt so alone. My poor husband, all I did was cry all the time. No one knew what HG was, no one believed me when I told them how serious it was. I never ate, if I did it was small, and I usually threw it up. I tried Gatorade, but it gave me nasty heart burn. Towards my last month or so (My son was 3 weeks early) it got to the point where I only needed the meds about an hour before I would eat. I never did gain any weight. Everyone says that after your child is born, you forget how sick you were, well, I WILL NEVER FORGET.
My son Jaxon was born a healthy 7lbs 1oz. He was all worth it, he was the most beautiful thing I have ever seen. The day after he was born I sat up in bed and realized- I wasn't nauseated. I felt like myself again- great news, plus I had my baby!! :D Jaxon will be 1 yr old in November!
I don't know if I will have another baby. Being sick again scares me to death.
If you are reading this and you have HG, I know how you feel, and when your baby comes, you won't forget what you went through, but you will be so happy you went through it. May god bless you.
maggiep

Return to Stories of Hope & Humor