My story

Share an uplifting story from your pregnancy or triumph over HG to help others find a way to laugh & remain hopeful. Post your children's updates, brag pics, and milestones.

Moderator: RebeccaM

My story

Postby Proudmama » Jul 31, 2005 11:26 pm

Hello everyone,
I wanted to share my story of HG and other issues with you all so here goes...

After trying a short time to get pregnant, my husband and I were overjoyed with the news that we were expecting a beautiful little one. We were so excited. At four weeks, we shared our news with our immediate families. They were so excited. This would be both sides first grandchild. Since we live several hours and states away from any family, we hoped we could keep the news from extended family at least for a couple of months. At six weeks, I began feeling very ill. I could not stop vomiting. My husband and I just thought it was "normal" morning sickness. I talked with my mom (over the phone) and she said it was normal. If I would not think about it then I would feel better. In other words, "it was all in my head". After a couple of weeks, I called my OBGYN. The so called nurse said that I needed new vitamins. I tried to tell her that they would not stay down but she just insisted it was the vitamins. I proceeded to try these new vitamins. Nothing... A couple more weeks went by and I was loosing weight. I could not eat or drink (no ice chips either). My husband tried everything. He went to the store almost everyday to find me something I might be able to eat. Still, nothing worked. After several more phone calls to the Doctors office (only the nurse would talk with me), and trip to the ER for IV Fluids (only to have 2 liters of saline solution and an ER Doctor that said it was just morning sickness), my regular OBGYN appointment finally arrived. (By now, my parents know this was not normal). Now, you would think that my OBGYN would know that I (and my husband) had been calling her office. But no...she proceeded to "yell" at me for not calling her sooner. She said, "You look awful. You are green." I said that I had called her, at least 12 times in the past few weeks. The nurse said I could not talk with her. My OBGYN appeared very upset and left the room. She came back in after talking to the nurse in the hallway, and told me to start Zofran immediately. I did. After loosing almost 15 pounds in just a few weeks, the Zofran worked. I felt better. I could now walk in my house without heading straight to the bathroom. I could actually leave my house to try going to the store. Before the Zofran, all I could do was go to work (no smells) and go home and sleep. At about 16 weeks, I was feeling better.
You would think that this would be it, no. My next Doctors appointment, the so called "nurse" ran the screens for birth defects early. This caused my results to read a false positive. My husband and I worried for a couple of weeks about our baby. Finally, we get a call saying that the "nurse" messed up. We would have to run the tests again. She misread my chart. We retested and thankfully, everything was fine. I was so upset. Needless to say, that was the last time the nurse worked with me. (I later learned that she had been let go). I guess that I was not the only one she had messed up with.
Anyway, baby time arrived. My mom and dad had been out visiting a couple of weeks before my due date. My mom decided to stay an extra week because she felt that I would deliver within the week. She said that you are going to have a large baby. She was right. I was so glad she stayed. A couple of days later, I went into labor. My regular OBGYN was not going to be there but one of the other Doctors would deliver my baby. After nearly 24 hours (3 hours of pushing), the Doctor said she would have to try to deliver my baby with a vacuum since the head appeared to be stuck. She had to do a double episiotomy to use the vacuum. This did not work, she needed to use the forceps. She tried and tried. She said one last try and we were heading for an emergency c-section. I did not want that so I pushed. This caused me to tear. I ended up with a third degree tear. My 9lb 6oz. baby boy was born. He was the largest baby born that night (including scheduled c-sections). The Doctor said she would have done a c-section if she would have known how large my baby was going to be (he was two weeks early). My regular doctor did not seem concerned that my baby was large. My husband and I were so happy to have our healthy son.
Still, my issues were not finished. Not only could I not nurse by son, due to lack of milk, but I was so sore I could not move. At my six week checkup, my doctor would not even discuss my nursing issue. (I went to a lactation consultant. She was surprised with my problem and told me to see my doctor. I tried everything but my doctor would not see me. I could only give my son 1 oz of milk with each feeding. I was so upset.) What my doctor did do was perform a third episiotomy because of the way I healed. I was sore for another few weeks. Around 12 weeks after giving birth, I was having bladder control problems. I went to see my Doctor and she said it was just normal. One year and a half later, I am still having these problems. I finally went to a Urologist/OB and he finally told me the cause. By having such a large baby (compared to my smaller size), my bladder muscles have weakened. My bladder is lower than it should be. I am now on medication.
Needless to say, I have since changed OBGYNs. I will be going to my first appointment with my new Doctor next month. My husband and I spoke with him about my HG and he believes in it and is willing to actively treat it, should it rear its ugly head again.
Regardless of what I went through, I am so thankful for my handsome baby boy. He is my world. I would go through it all again for him.
One side note, when I went to pick up my medical records from my old OBGYNs office, the ER information was there. It stated HG for the cause of my visit. Image that, HG but no one tells my husband or myself. We just were told "normal" morning sickness.
Thanks for listening to my story.
Proudmama
Master of HG

What a story

Postby Bethers » Aug 28, 2005 4:42 pm

Wow. A lot of what you went through was similar to the pregnancy I had with my son back in 1995. I am so glad you are ok. My doc back then only had one other person sick in 2000 pregnancies and didn't know what was wrong with me. I had over 40 trips to the hospital. Yuck. I was always drugged up on compazine etc. I hated it. I lost 2 babies last year. Had to terminate one due to bad HG. I had severe stomach pains after eating a bowl of soup. Where I was doubled over. It was bad. We are trying again next year. Are you going to try again? I have a woman dr. lined up for this bout. They are supposed to be the best OB's in MN. So that I am excited and they will let me be on meds and a TPN right away rather then the last dr who let me go and at 10 weeks I was throwing up in the hospital for 10-12 hours bile. Ish. I would love to be buddy's. Write me when you can.
Bethers -Mom to Justin 1-9-96 HG hospitalized 40+. Mom to 2 angels 5-21-04 & 11-16-04. Will ttc in Feb 2006. 2 more Months OMG!!!rl=http://www.tickercentral.com]Image[/url]
Bethers
Been There Done That

Postby sickofit » Aug 29, 2005 8:39 am

hi there bethers..was just reading your post and want to let you know im in your corner! and you can do this! im 16 weeks now..its been so tough..ive been in bed for over 10 weeks but this baby couldnt mean anymore to me..did you try zofran in your last pregnancies? what month will you try? get on the zof and phenergan suppositories, line up help for everything or just let things go. is your husband supportive? i just know from reading your thread that you can do this, you seem to have a strong spirit..i too, can throw up blood/bile 10x's a day..but i love my hospital, love those iv's and i dont hesitate to call my dr daily in tears..but im making it and zofran helps and lots of rest and lying flat minimizes my symptoms. thebaby is doing fine so far in spite of malnourishment, lackk of vitamins, and 17 pound weight loss on a petite frame. just want to say hi and wishing you luck and baby dust. margorie in michigan
sickofit
Opinionated HGer

Postby Proudmama » Aug 30, 2005 9:57 pm

Bethers,
I am so sorry for your losses. I wanted to let you know that I have sent you a PM. Please keep in touch.
Proudmama
Master of HG

Return to Stories of Hope & Humor