My HG Experience

Share an uplifting story from your pregnancy or triumph over HG to help others find a way to laugh & remain hopeful. Post your children's updates, brag pics, and milestones.

Moderator: RebeccaM

My HG Experience

Postby wlsm06 » Jun 24, 2004 3:11 pm

I have only found this support website as I am pregnant with my third child and third experience with HG. Reading the materials on this site and experiences other women have with it give me so much hope and validation. HG is a lonely experience, with only those very close to you and witnessing the condition knowing how truly horrible it is.

My first HG experience was in 1998. I was thrilled to be pregnant, but once the HG set in I had anxiety attacks and fear over the violent vomitting that I was suffereing from. My doctor was only 6 years out of medical school and had no experience with severe HG (in retrospect), she treated me with Compazine, but the Compazine made me feel like I couldn't breathe -- which was more scary. I had several trips to the hospital and missed at least a cummulative of three months work. My HG was severe the first and second trimester. The third trimester my HG subsided, but I then developed Toxemia and Anemia. Thankfully our son was born large and healthy (8 pounds and 14 oz). My doctor assured me that my body's reaction to pregnancy would not be severe the second time around.

Oh...was she wrong!

My second child was the HG experience from hell. I switched doctors in month three because my heart told me that there had to be a better way to treat this disease (at the time they didn't even tell me it had a name!). I switched to an OBGYN that had experience with HG. He put me on Zofran and was always quick to admit me into the hospital when I had an uncontrollable day of vomitting. I was hospitalized 14 times...lost 30 pounds...and he delivered my about a month early. My daughter was still a nice size considering --- 6 pounds. Born happy and healthy (with exception of a minor scare of swallowed fluid at birth).

After that HG experience my husband I and still wanted more kids but decided to adopt. We were financially able to afford adoption and the thought of suffering nine months again was more than the two of us could bare. I was absolutely terrified of having another HG experience. To this day I have flashbacks of the horrible episodes and not knowing if I would survive. In addition to getting dehydration, each hospitalization was accompanied with intense migraines that was triggering my vomitting even more. The doctors treated me with NuBain to control the head pain.

This April I found out I was expecting baby #3. I was shocked and scared to death. All the bad HG memories came back.

I was good until week 6 and then all hell broke loose again. I am now about 14 weeks and have spent about 10 days as an admitted patient and 3 separate trips to the ER. I will say that although I am ill a lot, it seems to be easier to cope because I know what to expect...I am not as anxious about the baby's health (since my last two were healthy)...and I know it will end at the very least by December 25. Each day I get through is a day closer to being done. I even spend time calculating how long I have to stay pregnant until the baby is large enough to deliver. I feel selfish for feeling this way, but the HG is so dehabilitating...I worry I will die and not be able to see my children grow up.

There is so much misinformation out there about HG. My favorite misinformation is that it happens to low income, anxiety ridden and less educated people. Additionally, I have read that people that get this may have a tendency to have food aversions or suffer from motion sickness.

I am an executive level professional, working on my Phd with my head on straight. I have traveled all over the world, tried every cuisine and delicacy, delight in crazy forms of Sushi and a proud boat owner and roller coaster rider. I don't get it.

I am so thankful to hear of other people that have suffered from HG. I think that unless you go through it you don't understand it. I tend to isolate from people that don't understand what I am going through or refer to my problem as morning sickness or something that will go away at the end of my first trimester === which just enrages me. It angers me to the point that I can't even communicate with these types of people when I am pregnant because I am worried I will say something out of hormonal anger. I find that I can only depend on my husband, mom/dad, sister and close friends that I am comfortable being around or have witnessed first hand violent the illness can get. I am also thankful my other two kids are OK with seeing me be sick. They understand it is just because of the baby and mom will be healthy again.

God bless any of you that suffer from this. You are all heros.

Love,
S
Stacey
wlsm06

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 25, 2004 2:33 pm

Stacy,

Thanks so much for your inspiring story. I, like you, will feel much more prepared going into another pregnancy. Even is my HG is worse, at least I will no what to expect and I will be armed with plenty of options.

I totally agree with you on the food aversions and motion sickness ideas. HG has nothing to do with either of those things (at least for me). I have always loved to eat ALL kinds of food (including sushi :) which unfortunately I had to abstain from during pregnancy, even on the days I didn't feel sick :( ) and I also love going on rollercoasters, boats, etc., and they never make me sick.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby wlsm06 » Jun 25, 2004 2:48 pm

Hi Rebecca -

I was going through posts and saw one that I think is great advice for those who have experienced HG the first time and concerned about getting it a second time around. The post stated, that coming to terms with the fact that subsequent pregnancies will be HG makes it easier to accept and plan for the inevitable. I tend to always be an optimist, but I must admit that going into the pregnancy feeling proactive about treating the disease and the craziness around it made the adjustment easier than spending time being disappointed and depressed that I am suffering again.

The worse that can happen with the "expect to be HG" approach is that you are pleasantly surprised to be feeling well.

The other odd side effect of this whole HG thing is that I think if I was not HG I would wonder if I was going to miscarry -- because the HG tells me my body is dealing with a viable pregnancy. Wierd isn't it?

Stacey
Stacey
wlsm06

Postby MamaLily » Jun 26, 2004 2:03 am

Stacy -

Thanks for writing. You are brave to go through this again. Isn't it good that it's all worth it in the end for a BABY?

You are 14 weeks along now? I really hope you'll join us in the 2nd Trimester folder. There are quite a lot of women there right now...we're all there to give support and help where we can! Please post about yourself - how far along, your story of HG, what meds you are on, etc.

Thanks again for sharing your story of courage and sacrifice. Hang in there!

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby RebeccaM » Jun 26, 2004 11:26 am

Stacey,

I remember reading that post...(I think it was Andy that said it. She always had great perspectives). I really like it. I think it's helpful to have a positive attitude about approaching another HG pregnancy, but a big part of that is being realistic about HG. That's the only way you can be prepared, and being prepared is the most positive approach you can take.

Thanks for sharing that! It's refreshing to hear some positive outlooks.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Return to Stories of Hope & Humor