STILL hygiene challenged

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

STILL hygiene challenged

Postby IslandDreamer » Jun 27, 2006 1:26 pm

:roll: Okay, so the fact that I was a foul-breathed, stinky pg girl is understandable. But what I can't believe is that 7 months later, I still forget to brush my teeth or shower...don't even notice for days until I can smell myself :sickfast: . Gross, I know. I just don't even think of it. When I go someplace, I *know* to shower, I get that cue. But the hanging around the house days? ....ugh.

I used to ENJOY brushing my teeth and do it more than 3x/day just because it felt good. Now it makes me gag.

Please tell me I'm not alone :shock: ...Jack is almost 7 months, so the "I have a newborn" excuse is wearing thin.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby peanut » Jun 27, 2006 2:26 pm

After my son was born I also was lax on my hygeine. When I was pregnant I couldn't shower for months on end (literally because the bathroom was upstairs). I had enough energy to do a sponge bath in the powder room downstairs about once a month. After ds was born I forgot to shower, ect. I think that we got out of the routine of doing it and it seems like such a luxury after not having been able to do it for so long. Also I think that we have been conditioned not to brush our teeth during our prenancy because of the gagging and vomiting - so it is still associated with it after.

Lora
Lora
Image Image

[/url]
peanut
Master of HG

Postby megs4413 » Jun 27, 2006 8:30 pm

ditto here. DD is 14 mos and people aren't buying the "i just don't have time" thing anymore. I guess it all seems so much less important now.....during HG I think i went like literally a month without bathing....i had a picc and couldn't bathe myself and DH (fiance then) wasn't interested in bathing me in a timely manner. You just get used to the ick. I know i would never have skipped a day brushing my teeth and washing my face before HG but now it's like...ah who cares....not a good thing but there you have it.
megs4413
HG Diva

Postby Mom to Aidan & Daniel » Jun 28, 2006 1:53 am

I hadn't thought of this until you wrote it, but my showers/teeth brushings, are "optional" now rather than structured (before it was at least once every 2 days, now it's whenever) bec. it couldn't be structured during hg. It's not to problem stage, but it's not as automatic as it was before.
Sarah
ImageImage
ImageImage
Mom to Aidan & Daniel
Master of HG

Postby mrsbigdog » Jun 28, 2006 8:43 am

I'm good at showering every morning because my hair is uncontrollable if I don't wash it each morning BUT the tooth thing is another story. I went to a picnic with my husband's work yesterday and realized that I wasn't really sure when I last brushed (ick!!!). For me it really is a gag reflex thing and I put it off and off rather than just doing it.

Donna
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby Natalie » Jun 28, 2006 8:59 am

I'm definitely more 'relaxed' about the hygiene thing. Toothbrushing... the worst is when I go to a toddler group and then remember I haven't done it. Godoness only knows what the other peope think. The other one is not putting on deodreant. Is that really gross? I just forget because I never did it when sick. It's just not in my routine anymore. I have to really remind myself to do it.

I do try to bath evey day though so hopefully I don't smell too bad!

Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby BrandiJK » Jun 30, 2006 1:12 pm

I am great at the showering thing. Brushing my teeth....I'd say I forget except that is a lie. Nope. I avoid it. :oops:
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby teddi » Jul 07, 2006 12:46 am

Me too! Me too! Me too!!!!!
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby tlm5999 » Aug 08, 2006 4:53 pm

I am right there with you The only time I got to Bathe during HG was when my DH ran the bath for meright after he cleaned the bathroom after he had showered after work. He had to bath to come near me. Then he'd practically carry my in there. You can guess how often that happened. I'm now a SAHM of two and just don't see the point everyday. Both of my boys insist on being in there with me (3 yr and 19 mos ) so its stressful to boot. The teeth thing my DH givrs me a hard time on, but I still forget (avoid) it.
Valin 05-15-03 HG
Liam 11-19-04 HG
Anna-Marie 9-3-06 Lost an angel
Jonathan Declan 12/28/06 Lost a twin
Declan James 8-8-07 HG
Joseph 6-4-09 non-HG
tlm5999
Opinionated HGer

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG