I had HG and now my child is lactose-intolerant

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

I had HG and now my child is lactose-intolerant

Postby Jwren » Mar 29, 2007 11:42 am

My question may not have an answer yet, and it could be strictly a coincidence, but when I was pregnant with my son I had severe HG and now he is 13 months old, and we just found out that he is lactose intolerant. Do you think this could possibly be the reason why I had HG?

Everytime I ate dairy products, he would have a bad reaction to it thus causing me to also have a bad reaction?

Let me know what you think, thanks for your help :) Have a great day!

Jessica Wren
Jwren

Postby TraciWilliams2 » Apr 04, 2007 3:26 pm

I'm interested too as my dd was lactose intolerent for a few years, and my son also for a time, though they eventually grew out of it. Anyone else??
http://www.myspace.com/st2kids
MacKenzie (mild HG)
Dominic (severe HG)
TraciWilliams2

Postby mrsbigdog » Apr 04, 2007 4:04 pm

Oddly as a child I was lactose intolerate but outgrew it. I'm not a big milk drinker but love other dairy products and ate tons of cheese while pregnant with HG.

None of my three girls have had any food issues and all tolerate dairy products just fine. My 12 yr old and the baby both drink tons of milk but my 18 yr old only likes chocolate milk so she doesn't drink as much.

No link in my case...

Donna
3x HG survivor: Theresa - 11/88, Katie - 1/95, Emily - 1/06
(one HG baby in each of the last three decades! - yes, just call me crazy)

mrsbigdog
HG Diva

Postby LKEATES » May 07, 2007 2:08 pm

hi i too had hg im my 2nd pregnancy and my daughter could not tolerate normal milk either she used to throw it back up straight away and had to be fed on soya
i have another daughter who i did not have hg with my 1st pregnancy and she was fine

lindsey
LKEATES

Postby mandms mom » May 08, 2007 3:53 pm

I had severe HG in both pregnancies and have one daughter who is lactose intolerant (as am I ).She was diagnosed at 13 months as well. Not sure if there is a link but would be very interested ! I may steer clear of all dairy once I'm pregnant with number 3 !
Have a God Blessed Day !
HG Survivor
Mykaila 4/19/03 ~ Severe HG 5 weeks to Delivery
Maia 4/25/05~ Severe HG 6 weeks to Birth & Gall Bladder surgery at 36 weeks
mandms mom
Been There Done That

Postby Thandie&bensmom » May 29, 2007 1:24 am

My ds is lactose intolerent and my dd vomits all formula, including alimentum and Nutramigen.
Thandie&bensmom
Welcomed Friend

Postby Xphile_mo » Aug 20, 2007 2:53 pm

I was also lactose intolerant (well, I presume it was just lactose as they didn't really do much testing in those days - just couldn't tolerate milk) as a baby. My daughter is cows milk and dairy intolerant now after HG but not sure if that's linked to the HG, or to a hereditary factor from me! She also has gastroesophageal acid reflux too, so it took some time for them to believe me that she was allergic to the milk, as they just kept saying it was the reflux! :roll: :shock: :roll:

God, I hope she doesn't grow up to get HG too ...! :( She is on neocate now (tried nutramigen also) and - just a note for thandie&bensmom, Alyssa was still sick on the nutramigen (but only had it for a couple of days before they changed her again). I did not believe she couldn't tolerate the nutramigen as it hadn't had long enough to get into her system - but by that time they were finally listening to the allergy component so wanted her on something pure as quickly as possible. The main difference IMO is the fact that 2 days after she started the neocate (and was still vomiting frequently) is that they started adding <b> Hormel's Thick & Easy powder </b>to her neocate to thicken it so she was more likely to keep it down. The vomting gradually reduced over the first couple of weeks and she is now vomiting roughly once every 2-3 days!! That's 100 times better than she was! :D

The dietician I saw last week agreed that the difference in her behaviour (happier, smiley, not screaming all the time, etc) is down to the neocate, but that the thick and easy is probably still responsible for reducing the vomiting. Just wondering if it's worth a try for your DD??? :hugs:
Moira x x x

Xphile_mo
HG Expert

Postby Sckitzo » Aug 20, 2007 3:43 pm

I do not know if I am/was lactuos intalerant. I remember ever since I was a kid I would get an up set stomach if I drank milk, chololate milk I could drink a little more before it would get to me. I could only drink a few ounces, then have a stomach ach for an hour or two after word, I rarely throw it up, but I did avoid drinking milk. Still can't . My dad was the same way. I just take extra calcuim. I can eat all the dariy I want without it bugging me, except yougret somtimes. My daughter at 2 1/2 year does not seem to have any probelms so far.
Brianna severe HG till 25 weeks, Severe Preeclampsia at 33 weeks, Born 1/23/05 at 33 weeks, 3pds 3ounces.
Chance Moderate HG until 20 weeks, Severe preeclampsia, HELLP, had two mini strokes, seizures, coma, emergancy C-sec at 23 weeks. 1pd 6ounces, 9/21/06-10/18/06
Sckitzo

Postby Gracie » Aug 21, 2007 10:03 pm

Come on over to the Postpartum and Newborn forum... lots of us have babies with reflux and milk protein intolerances/allergies (not lactose, but just as much of a pain for them).

:hugs: :hugs:
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG