IV flashback!?

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

IV flashback!?

Postby HanJ » Feb 16, 2005 1:59 am

Okay this is going to sound weird. Dh and I went on a tour of the Labour and Delivery ward last night with our childbirth class. Everything was fine until the midwife showed us all the IV machine, and turned it on. And on came the beep-beep. In an instant I had a total flashback to my worst times of HG (just been admitted to hospital, when they put the IV in, waiting for it to start working). In an instant I felt so sick and just wanted to go running out the door.

Fortunately the moment passed, but I have never had that reaction to anything like that before and it threw me a little. Is this what is going to happen everytime something reminds me of the worst HG times?
Hannah J.
Joseph age 11: HG 5wks-birth
Ellie age 9: HG 5wks-36wks
HanJ
Been There Done That

Postby Marie » Feb 16, 2005 5:06 am

I know what you mean about the flashbacks. About a year following the birth of my daughter I visited a sick friend in the hospital. The smell of the bathroom triggered so many unpleasant memories, and a wave of nausea swept over me. I have not had that experience since.

Marie
HG baby arrived 11/18/99.
Lost an Angel 6/04.
HG baby arrived 7/01/05.
Marie
Master of HG

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder

Postby IslandDreamer » Feb 16, 2005 11:46 am

Many of us do end up with some elements of PTSD. Actually, I'm researching and writing about it right now. I trigger in humid weather and when I even consider going inpatient in the hospital.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby PamelaRose » Feb 16, 2005 9:57 pm

Oooh, that is scary! I've only had a few intense reactions like that--one to the Shakespeare books I was starting with my students when HG #4 kicked in, and another to aerosol hairspray that I used during HG #3. It passes, though. You may always think back to those memories when triggers are tripped, but the reactions won't be as intense. It becomes more vague as time goes by, I've found.

Wow--You're really getting close! Hope the next few weeks fly by.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby HGx3 » Feb 21, 2005 2:07 am

lol I have a hard time with the sound of a football game onn the tv!!! I was lying in the hospital last Super Bowl Sunday hoping to die or something when the nurse came in, flicked on the light and turned on the game.GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I WANTED TO BE LEFT ALONE!!!!!!!!!!! Anyway, football as since been an issue, along with several other triggers from other pgs!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Feb 21, 2005 6:39 pm

Lisa, football and ESPN are triggers for me...not the HG kind, just the "worthless DH sitting on his butt" kind. :wink: The Wizard of Oz does it for me every time. It was running on network tv the night of my first day of vomiting with pregnancy #1. I'd passed out on the couch, only to awake in a dark room with the flying monkeys onscreen. I was pretty sure I had died and gone to hell. Come to think of it, pretty apt description for HG. :P
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby HGx3 » Feb 23, 2005 12:03 am

I'll say!!!! Flying monkeys, munchkins evil withch.........thinking you are in hell. Yep, sounds like hg to me too!!!

Ah worthless dh sitting on couch, I wont touch that one tonight...........
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG