Elevated Liver Functions - any thoughts

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

Elevated Liver Functions - any thoughts

Postby alisonc8 » Jan 05, 2005 8:06 pm

So I posted a while back about having Avascular Necrosis, and am scheduled to have a double hip replacement on Monday Jan 10 - yes, 5 days from now.
My anasthesiologist called me Monday and said that my presurgery blood tests came back and my liver enzymes are elevated. They retested me yesterday and the enzymes are going up! Yikes - has anyone had this happen to them? I had borderline GD along with HG - most likely caused by the steroids that also caused the AVN.
Any info - I'd appreciate it.
Thanks
Alison
alisonc8

gallstones?

Postby Abby » Jan 13, 2005 6:40 pm

Have you ever been checked for gallstones. It is a very frequent complication of women who have HG during pregnancy, and elevated liver enzymes are an indicator. I had gallstones and my gallbladder was removed when my son was 3 months old --I had had nausea, pain and basically was terrified that I was pregnant again, without being pregnant! It's still amazing to me that the doctors didn't do an ultrasound to check for gallstones when they knew I was so at risk from the HG, weight loss, and TPN. You should also see if they will do a liver ultrasound/MRI when they check out your gallbladder to see if there are any other liver problems.

Abby
Abby

Postby alisonc8 » Jan 28, 2005 3:07 pm

I haven't been checked for gallstones - I don't have any symptoms of gall stones either if you don't count the liver function test results. I thought gall stones caused all kinds of "digestive problems" - please correct me if I'm wrong though. I'll mention it to the doc when I go have my liver checked in a few weeks.
alisonc8

Postby emily » Jan 28, 2005 3:16 pm

I too had elevated liver panels. I was sent down for a u/s to check for gallstones and didn't have them (if I remember correctly).

Well anyways, sorry to not be much help. I asked about the elevated liver thing too and noone could quite remember why HGers tend to have them.

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby akemt » Feb 09, 2005 7:17 pm

I had something similar happen, but about 2 1/2 months after my gallbladder was removed (4 months PP) so that wasn't the issue. My level was tested twice (9-52 being the norm) and came back slightly elevated at 63 and then 66 about a week later. I had an abdominal ultrasound so fatty liver was ruled out, I wasn't at risk for hepatitis, nor was my level high enough to suspect hepatitis (300-ish range) so my doctor decided to wait 3 months and test again. Sure enough, last week it was 33 upon retest. And, it was 19 durring my pregnancy around the time of my gallbladder attack. Apparently there are a couple self-limiting viruses (like the flu or cold that go away on their own) that can cause such an increase, though I still don't know what was the cause of mine.

My sil had a similar elevation (76) and for her it was a heads up to do autoimmune testing...she has since been diagnosed with one. I haven't pressed the issue here.
Catherine
1 HG, PIH, Oligo pregnancy March 2003
1 borderline HG, PIH pregnancy July 2004
akemt

Postby alisonc8 » Feb 10, 2005 12:10 pm

My levels were rechecked a week or so ago and now they are completely normal. I'm still on really high doses of pain medication though (post surgery) and I thought if anything that would make the liver functions worse. Weird!!!
alisonc8

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG