SSRIs effect on infants

Discuss the lasting impact from HG on moms and babies: long term health issues, child development, and other ways HG continues to impact your life.

Moderators: txmomma, Trudy, teddi

SSRIs effect on infants

Postby Pesto7 » Nov 30, 2004 6:09 pm

Has anyone else heard of side effects of SSRIs on babys exposed inutero during the 3rd trimester? I read a small blurb about it in BabyTalk this month.
Zofran is a 5-HT3 serotonin antagonist, not a selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor, but Zofran works so similarly to SSRIs that I wonder about the effects of it. None of the side effects seem that bad, they mainly sound like withdrawl. I wonder if anyone else who was on zofran or other antiemetics and has a baby has notices these symptoms:
startles, tremulousness, jitters, lack of sleep and sudden arousals during sleep?
-Jil

21 weeks HG started @ 1st week
1st pg
Zofran ODT for nausia/vomiting
Kristalose for constipation
Pesto7

Postby mammaclare » Nov 30, 2004 7:48 pm

Nothing has been shown in any of the research I have read. In fact, there are many moms who are on actual SSRI's in their pregnancies, including 3rd tri. If you want to get specific information or peace of mind, I recommend that you call www.motherisk.org--they are the big clearinghouse for research on HG.

I took Zofran until I delivered--never got below 12mgs a day and by the last month I was at 16mgs a day--adn my son is as mellow as you can imagine and always has been.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Return to Long-Term Impact from HG