To the ER!

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

To the ER!

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 12, 2005 5:27 am

John really likes to keep us on our toes I guess. Spitting up wasn't enough, now he's aspirating his vomit. Now everytime he spits up he inhales it and starts gasping for air. Of course the ER doctor wasn't at all helpful, not that I really expected him to be. Luckily his lungs sound clear for now so we'll be taking him in to the doctor tomorrow. And I of course can't go to sleep now because I'm so worried about him.

I think with the small age gap between him and Isabella he just wants to make sure he doesn't get over looked. I have to say he's doing a pretty good job at that. And man did all the medical equipment bring back bad memories of HG and the NICU. We were in the same room I had been in during the first trimester of Isabella's pregnancy.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
http://caleighbabies.blogspot.com/
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby rjdecker » Dec 12, 2005 11:12 am

Oh, the poor little man! And what it does to the mommy! Kimmie used to vagal respond whenever she started to cough and would turn blue and limp. Scary!!!! So we put her on an apnea monitor. I hated the thing. Lived in terror that the loud beeping would start. Was so very glad to send the monitor back! But now, every time Michael coughs or anything, I hold my breath!

Let us know what the doc says. Hope things get better soon!

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby BrandiJK » Dec 12, 2005 12:57 pm

((((Angela)))) please do let us know what the docs say! My goodness, these kids do keep us on our toes, eh!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby helen-l-a » Dec 12, 2005 1:29 pm

Oh Angela.. what a worry! If being pg and being worried about the baby and whether they are ok and not suffering due to the vomiting is not enough! More worry ensues............... I should know, I think I am running for the title of the worlds biggest worrier!

I hope his little lungs remain clear.. big hugsx

Helenxxx
Mum to.....
Luke 1990 not a HG pregnancy.
Jonathan 1994 not a HG pregnancy
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!
Thomas Bailey 2005 HG pregnancy

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Postby dwtegli » Dec 12, 2005 1:58 pm

Oh Angela,

I sure hope everything is okay. can't wait to hear what the doc says.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby PamelaRose » Dec 12, 2005 5:47 pm

Reilly did that--scared the living daylights out of everyone who heard it! The first time was Christmas Eve when she was 8 days old and my aunt was holding her. I had never heard a sound like that come from a baby before, and the looks on my aunts' faces was not making me feel better. Scary! We just found that she had to be upright at all times. She slept in her carseat or bouncy seat, and when she got old enough to try throwing herself out of those things she slept on her tummy.

I hope you can find relief for your little guy. Have they at least started testing to rule out stenosis and other correctable problems?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 12, 2005 6:34 pm

Well our doctor didn't really seem to want to listen to me, big surprise right :roll:. However I pushed the subject a little more and insisted that this was more than a baby that simply needs to be burped more, I hate when they say that. So we're going back tomorrow to see a different doctor in the office for a second opinion, since our doctor won't do anything himself. He wants to rule out pyloric stenosis and possibly do an upper GI.
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby PamelaRose » Dec 12, 2005 9:43 pm

UGH! Or, "How much is he drinking at one time? You're probably overfeeding him." I hated that comment! Idiots. It didn't matter whether Reilly had 1/2 ounce or 4 ounces--she was going to spew one way or another.

We did the Upper GI with Reilly and found NOTHING, which was disappointing but good. I mean, we knew nothing was wrong with her, but that meant there was nothing to do about it once Zantac didn't work and all the formula changes in the world didn't help. *sigh* So frustrating! I hope you find a doctor who listens to you. When Reilly was tiny, I had Avery in for a check-up and was sitting there with Rei on my lap, dishtowel draped around her body as usual, and the new dr. walked in and said, "Reflux? I recognize the towel trick. One of mine had it, too." I loved that man right then! That's the kind of person you need.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Atsie » Dec 13, 2005 9:28 am

I took Jordan to the Dr who had been my Ped! But he was over worked and would not listen. I said DD was spitting up too much, it wasn't normal. He barley said it was "fine". Switched her to my family Dr. Turns out she was allergic to the formula she was on. I was so mad!!!! All he had to do was listen!!!!!!

Hope the second opinon goes well! Keep us posted.
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby caleighbelle47 » Dec 13, 2005 9:45 pm

I can't believe it, I finally found a doctor with a brain :shock:. I wanted to hug him, he didn't say a single stupid thing. Not one word about burping or gas drops or overfeeding. He said he's 99% sure that it's not pyloric stenosis, which I didn't think it was anyway. He put him on Zantac and we're going back in two weeks, if there isn't much improvement then he's going to try a stronger medicine. I immediately came home and called my insurance company to make him Isabella and John's regular doctor.

Of course none of the pharmacies around us carry liquid zantac. In fact one pharmacist was shocked because he had never heard of a baby being put on zantac before :roll: . So we'll have to make a trip into town tomorrow.

My own little christmas miracle, sad isn't it?
-Angela
Isabella- October 2004
John- September 2005
Phoenix- July 2008
Hazel- March 2010
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby Atsie » Dec 13, 2005 11:31 pm

That is wonderful that you found a good dr!!!!!!!!!
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby rjdecker » Dec 14, 2005 10:57 am

Glad you found a good doc. Makes a big difference, doesn't it? I was working one weekend at Saturday clinic and a lady called and asked me a question about her baby, and then I found out she was my close friend! She told me she was almost afraid to call because she didn't want to talk to a nurse that was rude to her and she was sure glad she got me! That made me feel good! I hope I am like that with my other patients!

I think it is funny the pharmacist had never heard of a baby on zantac before! That is weird. I wonder how long he has been in the business?

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Postby BrandiJK » Dec 14, 2005 12:10 pm

Thank goodness for a good doc!!! Sage's burst ear drums and ear infections...they kept telling me it was swimmers ear (water in her ears from bathing! Got to the point I was petrified to bath her!) and it took forever to find a doc who was willing to put in tubes. Poor kid had one or more burst ear drum a month. :cry: and they made it out to be my fault!

How is the search for liquid zantac going? Let us know if it helps him!
The only thing worth stealing is a kiss from a sleeping child.
BrandiJK
Master of HG

Postby IslandDreamer » Dec 14, 2005 1:18 pm

Great update!! So glad you found a doc with a brain and John is feeling better!!!
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum