Weekend trip

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Weekend trip

Postby HelenA » Aug 09, 2005 2:04 pm

We are going to Scotland on friday for the weekend, and want to make sure I am taking everything I need for KimberlyAnn. So far this is what I have. Sleepsuits, baby grows, double the amount of clothes for the time we are there incase she sicks up or anything. Nappies. A travel bottle warmer for the journey as it's a 7 hour drive. Steralizer, bottles, formula. Moses basket, bouncer, burping cloths,baby bubblebath, towels,shampoo, blankets,toddler bed training pads (for nappy off time in case of accidents), teething rings and calpol in case she gets sore gums and a temp.

Can anyone tell me if I'm missing anything vital, I'd hate to get there and not have something we need, we are staying at DP's sisters so minor things we could just pick up.

Can you tell this is our first time away with her....LOL
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby Kadinga » Aug 10, 2005 12:53 am

Heather was about 10 weeks the first time I travelled with her (alone, Dh was away on a contract harvesting trip). Keep an eye on the temp in the backseat of the car. It's always warmer back there.

I once travelled without a thermometer. That was the one and only time she ever got sick while travelling, and when I took her to emergency she threw a temp of 39.8 (celcius.... about 105F) :shock: Definitely pack a thermometer.

Are you taking any toys? She's probably not playing with much yet, but a few familiar things that she can hang on to might be a good idea. Oh, and plenty of nappy-rash cream. We always had more problems when travelling. I think it's because the poos sneak out quietly, and because when she's not moving it takes a little longer for the smell to find it's way out-front to you.

have fun on your trip

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby Kadinga » Aug 10, 2005 1:01 am

Oh, and seeing as it's such a long drive, a rubber backed travel rug. If she gets really fussy from being back there in the car for so long, it will probably be worth taking the extra time to pull off the road and let her have a stretch on the rug on the ground. When Heather was little like Kimi, I used to always try to leave home when she was just about due for a sleep, but if she was awake for too long in her car seat she always got fussy from the boredom. If she's fussing and you don't want to stop, one of you can climb into the backseat to play with her as you drive.

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby HelenA » Aug 10, 2005 2:15 am

Thanks, I don't have to worry about the thermometer as we have air con in the car and that can make you cold on the hottest day if it's on full blast...lol We'll def take nappy cream although sneaky poops are not a problem for us as she hates a poopy bum and cries when she's done one...lol We will take a few of her toys with us, she has a couple of small dollies that she loves to grab and talk to, but we'll have to tie them to the car seat or she'll cry when she drops them....lol I think we might take her padded changing mat so she can have a wriggle when we stop, we are planning to stop every 2-3 hours for a feed and bum change anyway.

Thanks for the input :D
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Aug 10, 2005 12:44 pm

We too a long car trip with Aaron when he was about 3 months old. It was a nice time to go because you don't need to bring lots of toys and they tend to sleep a lot in the car.

We ended up stopping about every hour for one thing or another, so remember to plan to have the trip take about twice as long as usual!

The other thing I often forget is to have at least one or 2 changes of clothes for me easily available. For some reason I end up needing a change more often than he does when we travel. Since you are driving, that shouldn't be too hard. I used to bring enough clothes for Aaron for many changes for the whole trip. Now, we just plan on doing laundry while we're gone, we usually ended up needing to anyway even when I brought everything we owned!

I think Amanda meant a rectal thermometer in case she gets sick - a very good idea.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby HelenA » Aug 10, 2005 2:42 pm

We have a thermometer pacifier which we will be taking with us, will that do?
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby teddi » Aug 11, 2005 12:44 am

Heh...

Ok, help me out, I don't speak "English". :wink:

nappies = diapers?
calpol ?
grow suits... ?
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby HelenA » Aug 11, 2005 1:44 am

LOL Teddi!

Yes nappies are diapers, Calpol is infant paracetamol (from two months) and baby grows are onesies..lol
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum