OMG...HG in Woman's Day Magazine!!!

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

OMG...HG in Woman's Day Magazine!!!

Postby di » Aug 09, 2005 6:11 am

Hi guys :)

This is old news, but in case you didn't see it, this artice was in the Feb issue of Woman's Day in Australia, in the "ask dr andrew" section. I was too sick to read anything at the time (still pg), but I read it while sitting in the hairdresser yesterday :!: - she let me take the page home, so here is the general gist of it:
Q: I'm 3 months pg and always feel sick, in fact it's getting so bad i can barely hold down any food. I know some sickness is normal, but could it harm my baby?
A: you are correct nausea and vomiting are common in the first tri, affecting 70-85% of pg women. Morning sickiess typically begins in the 1st 9 weeks of pg with syptoms having resolved themselves by 12 or 13 weeks. some estimates say 1 in 5 women endure m/s into their 2nd tri, and an unfortunate few suffer nausea for the entire duration of their pg. it's commonly understood that m/s can't affect your baby. however it can become a problem if you ca't keep any foods or fluids down and lose a lot of weight. this may be associated with dehydration, electrolyte abnormalities and a disorder known as hyperemesis gravidarum. this severe form of m/s has been linked with health problems for the mother as well as increased risk of foetal growth restriction and mortality.

Just thought that was an interesting read while getting my hair done, after getting one of my many fillings needed at the dentist after HG...but i will post on another thread about that!

Hope everyone is having a good day today. Jazmin is wearing her grumpy pants today. i suggested to her we take the pants off, but she didn't seem to like that idea either!!!!! :wink:

Cheers
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » Aug 10, 2005 1:26 am

Wow, Di. :shock: I don't usually read Woman's Day (except at the hairdressers and the doctors) but maybe we Australians should be writing in to Dr Andrew to tell him how glad we are that he mentioned HG. Maybe if enough of us write in, we could get a feature article?

Okay, I just found the website. I hope you don't mind, Di, but I pretended I saw the article as well. Here's what I wrote:

I'm not a big magazine buyer, but I usually check out Woman's Day at the hairdressers and doctors waiting room. I was so excited to read the term "Hyperemisis Gravidarum" in Dr Andrew's column of a February issue. I was very sick throughout my pregnancy, with my last vomit a week before my daughter was born. HG is to Morning Sickness as Post-natal depression is to the Baby Blues. People who don't understand make if very difficult for the sufferers to cope. When people do understand the difference, it puts "severe morning sickness" into a better perspective for it's sufferers, and gives the HG sufferers access to some desperately needed support. Thankyou, thankyou, thankyou, Dr Andrew and Woman's Day, for putting this term out into the world for people to see. You are helping more women than you could possibly imagine.

Here's the link:
http://womansday.ninemsn.com.au/talktous/default.aspx

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Postby di » Aug 10, 2005 6:02 pm

8) Cool as :!: :D

yep when i saw HG actually mentioned I though "yay, something about it a mainstream magazine!" I'd say that's progress. I also never buy Woman's Day, but I when i saw that article, I just HAD to post it.
Maybe we could direct them to this site if readers want to know more in a future article?
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Postby Kadinga » Aug 10, 2005 10:19 pm

That's a great idea, Di! Did you write in to them? If not, maybe you could mention it? It might look a bit too try hard if I write again just to give them the website. :wink: :lol:

Amanda
2 HG darlings; Heather, September '03 & Henry, May '06
"To understand and be understood makes our happiness on earth" (German Proverb)
Kadinga
Devoted to You

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum