New pg still bf dd#3....

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

New pg still bf dd#3....

Postby halgal427 » Jun 29, 2004 11:14 am

hi,
i am currently 3 weeks pg and still bf my almost 18 month old dd. does anyone have any experience with bf and having hg? will the hrmones my body is making to produce milk possibly counter act the pg hormones that may cause hg? is it time to wean? she loves it so much, i'm so torn.
thanks for any advice in advance.
kim
expecting #4
2x HG surviver
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby anna8660 » Jun 29, 2004 7:38 pm

Hi
I am 4 weeks pregnant and still breastfeeding my 9 month old son. I dont really have any answers right now but I am looking for info on this subject and will let you know what I find out
HUGS
Anna

anna8660
Been There Done That

Postby JennyK » Jul 07, 2004 12:36 am

Somewhere -- maybe on this board -- I read that someone actually got relief from HG while her baby breastfed. I'm no expert on the subject but I would keep breastfeeding as long and you and your daughter want to and you feel up to it. Congrats!

Jenny
JennyK
Forum Moderator

Postby Jane » Jul 12, 2004 9:33 pm

I breastfed my 20 mo-old until I was about 7 wks. pg - about 3 1/2 wks. ago. My nausea started soon after, but it started at 8-9 wks. last time, so I don't think that means anything. I asked my Dr., whom I like, the question that you asked and he said it would have no effect. I and my daughter were ready to wean, and I just wanted some semblance of having my body "back," even if only for a few wks.

Still, I think if you feel good doing it - for whatever reason, either for your comfort, your child's - do it. It won't hurt the HG, and anything that comforts you can only help it.

Good luck,

Jane
Jane

Postby Laurie » Aug 01, 2004 11:18 am

It was me!!

With my 2nd pgcy, I really did get relief from the nausea when I nursed #1. I nursed him throughout my 2nd pgcy and he weaned with DD was about 4 mos old. I didn't have any vomiting with #2 but the nausea was hideous...and I had a complete lack of appetite. I lost a pound every week (though I had it to lose! lol). My OB knew I was still nursing DS. I asked her at my first prenatal appt at what point she would advise weaning. She said, if you have to be hospitalized (like #1) or you go below 10% of what weight you should be for your height. I was very overweight and I lost 60lbs total through that pgcy but I was still just at the weight I "should" be for my height.

I would really encourage you to keep nursing until you decide that it's too taxing on you. I wouldn't do a "preventive weaning" at all. I've heard from other HG mommies who bf and they also reported relief from nausea when nursing. It's worth a try anyway. ;)

Oh, and I'm nursing #2 (almost 18 mos) and tested positive yesterday, so I'm right here with ya. ;)
Laurie
#4 due 4-14-07, 2nd HG pgcy
10 weeks
Laurie
Welcomed Friend

Postby Cheri » Aug 03, 2004 10:27 am

Laurie,
Congratulations on your ++ pg test!! I hope this pg will go even better than your last did. (No gallbladder problems this time, right?)

I am 18 weeks now & managing to start weaning down the Unisom. (I didn't manage that until much later in the pg last time, so I know the bfeeding is helping me.)

Congrats again!
Cheri
Baby Lost at 15 weeks 3/02
Cheri
Opinionated HGer

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 03, 2004 6:40 pm

I am nursing a 27 month old while having severe HG. It hasn't helped my nausea that I can tell, but it hasn't worsened it either. I am, however, trying to cut back because of my nutrition and hydration deficiencies.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby lawbyrd » Sep 20, 2004 2:32 pm

I nursed my first through my second pg with HG and am now nursing both of them with pg #3. My first is mostly weaned, just a couple of minutes before sleeping. When I got too dehydrated with pg #2, I lost most of my milk supply, #1 was 2 at the time, so although he was frustrated, he did okay. When the baby came, having #1 still nursing was a big help -- #2 had to stay in the NICU, so between #1 and pumping, I was able to get my milk supply up pretty quickly.

I remember reading that nursing can help HG. I'm not sure if it helped me or not, but it was one of the few things I could still do for my son, I was so sick and stuck in bed, and in and out of the hospital. I felt like such a bad mom, I didn't want to take that little thing away from him.
HG third time around!
Mom to Joey age 5 & Josiah age 3
lawbyrd

Postby kohlby » Jul 18, 2005 7:38 am

I didn't have HG last time. I had constant morning sickness first trimester, but was functionally sick. This time, I do have HG. I'm 6.5 weeks pg and still bf my 26 month old twice a day. My supply is down. I think part of my problem was that I didn't have HG last time so I didn't get meds until 24 hours after not being able to eat at all or drink much, which I was throwing up anyways. I'm still dehydrated but am doing better getting fluids in now thanks to the meds. I'm hoping my supply goes back up as I get better hydrated.

I only bf DS for nap and bedtime. I'm so tired on this med that I need to take a nap with DS. It's nice to be able to cuddle with him and nap together. Due to HG, I'm not a very good parent right now. DS is watching far too much tv. I am very grateful that at least we have those bf and cuddle down to sleep moments twice a day.

I haven't noticed nursing helping or hurting my HG. But, it is helping my emotional state.
kohlby
Been There Done That

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum