My pregnancy actually HELPED something!!!

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

My pregnancy actually HELPED something!!!

Postby di » Jul 28, 2005 7:46 pm

Hi there ladies :) (and guys) :!:

I am pleased to report that my sh!tty pregnancy actually had 1 benefit for my body :!: :!: :D :D :D : it somewhat expanded my lung cavity, so now my asthma is not as bad and I don't have to take my puffer every single day :!: Yay :!: Ok this might seem really small, but I think for anyone who had HG, to find a positive thing for our poor beaten bodies is wonderful! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Jazmin is growing well, and I think I am finally getting into the whole "Mum" thing. :) We went to the local club for dinner last night - it was a cheap but really nice roast, with vegies and everything. It's SO nice to be able to eat anything I want :) ....I am going to have to be careful not to pile on all the weight again!! :x All the waitresses were admiring Jaz - it was so funny coz she was fast asleep and would yawn every now and again, as if to say that it was hard work being that cute!! :roll: :P 8)

Does anybody know if there is any testing that can be done, or when/if I should look for symptoms of asthma? As it can be hereditary (sp?) I want to be prepared - she doesn't seem to have eczema (can be related to asthma), which is sometimes present at birth. DH escaped both, but his brothers have asthma, although not too severe these days. Ok, call me paranoid, :twisted: but I don't want her to have to have a severe attack before we catch it, if at all possible.

Thanks so much guys :)
Di 8)
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 28, 2005 8:26 pm

Isn't it fun having a cute little baby? :D

All 3 of my kids have eczema. With my son it started as dry spots on his neck around 6 months of age, but it has never been much more than a few spots around his lips and arms so far. My daughters started with severe, bleeding diaper rash at a few months old. We had them tested for everything and on every kind of treatment, and it was just something their skin did. They both have contact dermatitis now and some eczema spots on their legs, but nothing really bad. If Jazmin's going to develop it, she'll probably show signs in the next 6 months. As for the asthma, Brody and Reilly both have reactive airway (illness-induced asthma). Brody was croupy from the start, and he had his first flare-up at 8 months. Reilly had her first flare-up at 5 months, but she hasn't had problems with every illness like Brody did. I hope your little one doesn't have to deal with that, but at least if they start the neb earlier, they can't fight as much and get used to it.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby mandy » Jul 29, 2005 12:09 am

Hello Di,

My eldest has had terrible asthma (like I did) and has recently started getting better :D . I grew out of it when I was around 10, and Ellie is five and has only had around 4 attacks this year. In her younger years we always had to run to A+E with attacks as they were uncontrollable with puffers. Her first attack was at 8 months. I had to take her to the drs for 2 nebulisers to bring her out of it. Here they will not diagnose asthma until the child is above a year old. So we repeated that a couple of times until she became a recognised asthmatic. Anyhow, within minutes of a neb or two (or three or four :shock: ) she has always come out of it fine and the attacks build up over a couple of hours, it's not a case of one minute she's perfect and the next she's not. You will know if Jazmin is unwell and her chest becomes tight, then it's a case of getting her checked out before things develop. My 2nd child has had one asthma attack and then nothing. He is just fine.
BTW mine never had a problem with eczema.

Try not to worry about it. You are obviously aware of the signs and more than likely she will be fine anyway. And, if she does get it, lots of children grow out of it, so don't panic.

All the best, Mandy x
Last edited by mandy on Jul 29, 2005 1:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby bibliojo » Jul 29, 2005 12:26 am

My son has had eczema since he was a matter of days old. It was quite bad the first year or his life and has since calmed down a bit. As for asthma, Lukas was fine until he was 14 months old. That's when he had his first asthma attack due to a cold. He's had several since and a few trips to the ER to get him breathing properly but he seems to be outgrowing it now? We've been attack free since February or so! Things that I would advise you to watch for if you are worried Jazmin will have asthma are laboured breathing (look at their chest and how much intake there is - if you see her ribs when she takes a breath in take her to the doctor) and a raspyiness sound, especially if she has a cold. It seems that some little babies wind pipes can get clogged up with mucus and then they constrict making it hard for them to breath. But you will know! You are a good mom and you know your child! If you catch it when she just has a raspy sound they will probably be able to get away with giving her only a nebulizer or two. For children to have problems breathing in the first few years is quite common I've been told and that most outgrow it so if Jazmin has an attack I wouldn't worry too much right away that she will have asthma for the rest of her life.

Glad to hear that you are adapting and enjoying mommy life better now! :D

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Jul 29, 2005 12:40 pm

My oldest has excema on her legs that began showing up at about 3 months old. During the winter it can get pretty red and scaly, she has steriod cream to put on it at that point.

My youngest had excema on his face which showed up at about 6 weeks old. We put hydrocortisone cream on it and it cleared up pretty well, it may come back this winter like my oldest's does, we will see. He was also given a nebulizer to use at home every four hours at about 5 months old. They didn't diagnose asthma, but you never know. He doesn't need it right now, but the doc says just to use it as needed.

You will know if she is having trouble, it was pretty obvious with Colton.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby di » Jul 29, 2005 5:05 pm

thanks guys for your support. :) I know i am just an overprotective new mum :!: Jaz has got a rash on her face at the moment, but the clinic nurse said it's more than likely from the formula, and since she's on the best formula for her, it's OK, and just get an OTC cream to put on it. :) Milk spots - not a permanent skin condition. :D it's winter here, so I'm on the lookout for anything - i must say not having to travel on the trains every day this winter i have managed to avoid several of the usual winter ailments :) - I reckon i deserve a year off being sick anyway - i think we all do! :lol:

Thanks
Di 8)
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum