plugged milk duct...any advice?

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

plugged milk duct...any advice?

Postby RebeccaM » Jul 24, 2005 1:31 am

I'm only one week postpartum and I already have a plugged duct! :x Does anyone have any suggestions to make it go away? I've tried everything in my book: pumping, massaging, drink more, warm compress, position baby differently, no underwire or tight bras, extra feedings... but I'm really worried baby is not getting enough milk. Some poopy and wet diapers, but not as many as I think there should be. What do I do??? I REALLY want to breastfeed and I don't want to have to resort to formula after only a week of trying. I really hope someone has some good advice. And I really hope this doesn't turn into mastitis.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Jul 24, 2005 8:50 am

Ugh, I got plugged ducts when Aaron was older and nyrsing erratically, and they were always horrible.

I found that taking some motrin/ibuprofen would help. It would make me feel better, plus I think it decreased the inflammation and swelling enough to let the plug clear with the tricks I would use.

Some other things I tried that seemed to help: massaging with the teeth of a comb toward the nipple while taking a hot shower. Massaging with a vibrating massager (some people suggest a heated one, I just did it in a hot shower). Soaking the nipple in warm salt water (when the plug was in the nipple). Once when none of these things worked and I could see the plug in the nipple and I was really desperate, ended up dislodging it with a needle. I'm not sure I recommend that route (boy did it freak my husband out!) but it worked, and that's all I cared about at the time.

Massaging alone never got the plug out (and pumping never did anything for me) but massaging, motrin and then nursing would usually do it.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby helen-l-a » Jul 24, 2005 11:38 am

I used to get blocked ducts frequently..... ugh! what I did was to massage the blockage in circular motions towards the nipple whilst feeding. This tended to move most of them. The other thing you could try is a warm flannel placed on the offending area and alternate between the flannel and massage. I didn't try this whilst feeding but it might work? I wouldn't suggest using a "needle"... not surprised your hubby freaked out Aimee... I would have done the same :lol: The one thing you really need to be careful of is to make sure that you do not get mastitis... I had this only once with my dd and OMG did I feel ill! I could honestly see why, before antibiotics were discovered, women used to die from this, or 'Milk Fever' as it was known as then... I was in bed for days. You will feel flu like, your boob will ache like hell and be extremely painful and you may be able to see a red patch where the infection is.. Go to Drs straight away and then continue to feed from the offending boob as this helps it a lot!

Good luck.

Helenxxx :D
Mum to.....
Luke 1990 not a HG pregnancy.
Jonathan 1994 not a HG pregnancy
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!
Thomas Bailey 2005 HG pregnancy

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Postby BlueEeyore » Jul 25, 2005 7:37 pm

I have no personal experience with this treatment, but you might want to read this article at kellymom.com

Kellymom seems to be an excellent resource.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby HGx3 » Jul 26, 2005 1:58 am

All very good advice, so I don't really have anything much to add. I hope you find some relief soon. As your supply begins to regulate, the occurence should lessen,just keep us posted on your progress! You are doing GREAT!!!!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby RebeccaM » Jul 26, 2005 7:10 pm

Thanks everyone for the great advice! It seems to have cleared, but it's happened slowly, not all at once like I assumed it would. The feedings are getting better, but still pretty painful. I have big, deep gashes on both nipples, although the left one is starting to heal. Hurts like he** sometimes, but it's worth the temporary pain and I know it will get better. :)
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby helen-l-a » Aug 03, 2005 2:46 am

Hi just popped back in here to see how you are doing.. Hopefully by now things will have settled down massively. I had terrible cracked nipples with my first son.. I had to stop after two weeks I was in a right mess.. I successfully fed the next two and although got sore, no where near as bad.

Helenxxx :D
Mum to.....
Luke 1990 not a HG pregnancy.
Jonathan 1994 not a HG pregnancy
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!
Thomas Bailey 2005 HG pregnancy

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum