therapy/Purge/counselling?

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

therapy/Purge/counselling?

Postby di » Jul 08, 2005 11:36 pm

Hi :)

Just wanted to know if anyone has done anything to help them really "forget" HG and not be continually reminded of it :?: Like have you had a holiday or something, or gone to therapy or counselling :?: I LOVE and appreciate being well again - even the night feeds are a breeze compared to waking up puking several times a night. :D All this really seems to do it highlight how sick I was. :( DH suggested writing out my story - I have a mixed blessing in that I was so sick I can't remember bits of it. :? Of course being around fluffy bunny mummies doesn't help either :!:

DH and I have decided there is no way we can possibly have another baby :( -I am getting and IUD and he is seriously considering a vas. This makes me very sad :cry: as at 6 weeks pp I already want another one. :( However, we know this IS the best decision for our little family.
Anyway i just want to know if anyone has any tips for getting over these huge (to me) issues, :twisted: as I know if I don't do something soon, they will just eat away at me for the rest of my life.

Thanks so much
Di 8)
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Postby HGx3 » Jul 09, 2005 12:22 am

It is still early in your recovery to see much of a difference just yet. There will always be little triggers that will bring back hg memories. Be it a smell, a season, a food, a tv show, a commercial....
Almost anything can trigger a flashback, but as time progresses for you, it will get much easier, and less painful, because it wont be so fresh in your mind.

It is unrealistic to expect yourself to forget hg, but time will heal you, to some degree. I feel like you still fall into the ppd category right now. That could easily change tomorrow. If it continues, I would ask for an antidepressant , if it does not improve thereafter, then consider counseling or thearapy
Your issues are REAL and VALID, which is why this folder exisits, so do not be afraid to use it!. I think your dh has a great suggestion about writing your story out. If you want to try some journaling here, it could be very theraputic. You could start a new post titled Di's JOURNAL . Anytime you are feeling scared, or sad, or angry, write about it in your journal. You will have the added benefit of others here replying and offering encouragement.

I think most hger's think that they only need this forum while they are pg, but in fact, it can be very beneficial for years to come.

I wont tell you that the decision to limit your family will be easy for you, (there is a forum for that here as well) it is something that you do need to address and it can make you feel very depressed. You do not have to make a permenant decision right now. Start with a temporary solution, and give yourself time to heal. Then, when you are ready, you can decide if you want to make a permenant change.

I hope I have helped you some, and I am here if you need me.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby teddi » Jul 09, 2005 12:55 am

I think most hger's think that they only need this forum while they are pg, but in fact, it can be very beneficial for years to come.

So true. I didn't really post that much when I was actually pregnant. Well, I can't tell you how many posts I wrote, or started, and never actually sent. Lots.

Lisa is dead on. When I finally could acknowledge (couple of months post partum) that I was not OK, I thought, I should just leave these forums. But I decided to stay, and I'm really glad. :?

My perspective is that it takes about a year to digest your experience with HG. Not only the physical recovery from it, but the emotional recovery. You had plans and dreams and expectations. And you got HG instead. How was your vacation to hell? For me anyway, that's what pregnancy has been like.

I swear some days now, are just as hard as those first and last days of my pregnancy were. Not all of it is related JUST to the HG. I basically just lost my job because of the HG. None of this was in my plan. See I knew I'd get HG again. . . well I hoped I wouldn't but figured I would. I find myself wondering all the time, when will all the fallout from the HG FINALLY be over?

Give yourself time. There's a lot to reflect on. The experience. How you feel about it. What you learned about YOURSELF from it. What you THINK about yourself (and others close to you) from it. Sometimes we feel shocked, or maybe betrayed (by family/friends who weren't there when we needed them), maybe you feel weak or guilty, maybe you feel brave or bold. I've certainly felt all those things, plus a million more.

You do want to keep an eye out for PPD. Go easy on yourself. Don't clobber yourself w/ unrealistic expectations. TIME, will be your biggest aid in your post HG recovery. Life does go on, and in time memories will fade. They'll always be there though. Someday it might not hurt so much.

Believe it or not, someday you might decide to go through it again. No need to make the decision NOW. Like Lisa pointed out- temporary options now are a good idea.

It's a really good idea to write down what you feel. Write down what you remember of your pregnancy while it's still fresh. Write down what you feel about things now. If in a few years you still have that desire to add to your family, you can bring it out and decide then- yes we can do it again, or no we can't. How you feel RIGHT now about what you've been through is perfectly OK. And it may change and be different a year from now.

So that's my advice. Time: One year. Raise your baby. Have your first smile's and laughs and holidays and birthdays. Get into the swing of being a mother. Focus on NOW, the moment you have. Then reflect on HG. HG is such an overwhelming experience, it changes us and challenges us. It takes time to get to know the new you, how you may have changed.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby bibliojo » Jul 09, 2005 1:19 am

I just want to second that it does take an HG mom more time to recovery from the trauma of an HG pregnancy. It took me 14 months after the birth of my son to begin to feel like myself again and when I found this website almost a year ago (so when my son was 18 months) it brought to the forefront HG issues that I hadn't dealt with earlier on but I had nobody to talk to that would understand! Reading about other women's HG experiences/talking through my issues with those that understood what I had gone through was very healing.

I know you probably want nothing more than to put the HG behind you and get on with your life. In order for you to resolve your HG issues, my suggestion is to daily do nice things for yourself - doesn't have to be big things either. Maybe make yourself a cup of tea and sit down and do nothing for 5 minutes. Or go for a walk around the block. Just do something for you. And writing out your HG experience can also be very healing. Hang around on this site too. I've found that being active in these forums is my way of doing something to help lessen the misery of women currently suffering from HG by offering understanding and support.

I'd also urge you not to make any permanent decisions now either. Give yourself time to heal. You are getting a UID so there is no rush to have your husband get a vasectomy. If after a year or two, you still are definite in your decision, you can do it then and know wholeheartedly you have done what is best for you and your family.

Sending healing thoughts your way....

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Jul 10, 2005 11:59 pm

Di,
We haven't heard an update, and I am thinking of you, Hope you are feeling a little less blue. Please check in soon!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby Kschwintz » Jul 13, 2005 12:01 pm

With my experience, all I can say is the further you are away from HG, the easier it seems to get. The first year was by far the worst... I would think "This time last year..." HG is very traumatic.. There are not many things in this world that make you vomit 20x a day for 9 months. The mental toll of that is excrutiating.

I am now 2.5 years past HG, and although I do remember some things, it is not all-consuming. I still do not particularly like being around perfectly pregnant and happy women. And I certainly cannot eat (FOODMENT) grilled cheeses, which is the only thing that sustained me for 8 months, but the triggers become fewer and fewer as time passes.

As far as birth control. I have an IUD. I know there is a 99.9% chance that we will not have another child, but I do not want to do anything permanent until I am well into my 30's and I know for sure.

Good Luck!
Kim
*Ainsley (11-26-02) born at 36 weeks Severe HG, Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome
Kschwintz
Been There Done That

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum