Boy or girl with HG pg?

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Boy or girl with HG pg?

Postby di » Jul 04, 2005 7:33 am

Hi guys - just wanted to do a quick ask around and see if there was any sort of pattern - was your HG worse with a girl or boy? A few people (in the medical profession) said that they thought I was lucky because I was having a girl because they (supposedly) fight harder, which i thought was odd, since they didnt seem to be competent enough to diagnose my HG but it's an interesting thought. Incidentally I do have a daughter now!!

Cheers
Di

di
Been There Done That

Postby meg » Jul 04, 2005 12:12 pm

Di,

I know that there are a few ladies who post here that seem to have greater symptoms with one sex than the other, but for me the HG was simply worse with each pregnancy - no relation to baby's gender. As far as girls "fighting harder" do you mean that they are supposed to be stronger? It is true that more boys are born each day, but more girls survive so statistically I suppose that is true.
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby mandy » Jul 04, 2005 1:22 pm

My hg was very similar in severity with my son and my daughter. I couldn't state which was worse - both were awful!

Mandy x
mother of two
hg from wk 6 - daughter born in 1999
hg from wk 5 - son born in 2002
mandy
HG Diva

Postby IslandDreamer » Jul 04, 2005 1:23 pm

I've had hg with two boys and a girl. The hg with my daughter was worse, but that is attributed to her chromosomal disorder and not her gender. HG generally just gets worse. Not a fun bit of info.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby teddi » Jul 04, 2005 5:18 pm

My HG was about the same w/both pregnancies (pretty severe both times). No gender difference for me, though more aggressive treatment helped the 2nd time around, somewhat.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby di » Jul 04, 2005 11:14 pm

thanks for taking the time to reply. I didnt necessarily subscribe to what the nurses said - they have been wrong so much before with me! I have decided that I will never have another child, so I will not have to experience worse HG the second time around, but I really feel for you ladies that did have the bravery to do it again!
Di 8)
Severe HG Jazmin Briella born 27/05/2005.
Severe HG weeks 2-15, Mild week 16 - week 29 Moderate - Mild to delivery. Nathan Finlay, born 5 March 2009.
di
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 05, 2005 9:35 am

Hmmm... The old wives' tale that will not go away. But with a twist! Usually, the argument is that "morning sickness" is worse with girl pregnancies because of the added female hormone in the mother's system. Who knows--it may be true for plain old "morning sickness," but HGers don't seem to follow that pattern. It is difficult to discern sometimes since many HGers limit to 2 children and don't have a lot of comparison since each pregnancy gets more difficult. But overall, here in HG Land, boy or girl seems to make no difference with level of sickness. The strength thing? Odd argument - Did they believe that a boy baby wouldn't have survived the rigors of HG? I believe it's true that girl babies tend to be heartier than boys, and that girl premies have a greater chance of survival, but with HG in general, our bodies don't seem to care much beyond the fact that it's a baby! :wink:

Jazmin is a cutie! Has she been a good baby?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum