How heavy.....?

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

How heavy.....?

Postby HelenA » Jun 29, 2005 4:58 pm

What weight were your babies when they hit a month old? I weighed DD yesterday and she was 11lb 7oz! What a little chubba..lol I just wondered how she compares to other babies when they were her age. I know DD is above average on the centile chart but wanted to compare with people rather than statistics. And also I wanted to compare HG babies as I am sure that the centile chart is based on fluffy bunny babies.
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby shearn01 » Jun 29, 2005 5:07 pm

Hellon,
DS was 7lbs 6 oz at one month visit, 3ozs more than birth, HOWEVER...at 2mths he is now12 lbs 5 ozs and 24inches long...which is 60 percentile for weight and 80 for height. He will most likely be out of his carrier which is up to 26 inches, but can not hold his head up...anyone have any suggestions for trips to the store with this.????
Sabrina
Andrew 4/19/05
shearn01
Been There Done That

Postby bibliojo » Jun 29, 2005 5:52 pm

Wow! KimberlyAnn is big! Lukas was 7lbs, 7oz when he was born and at a month he was 9 lbs, 13 oz.

Sabrina, Lukas was almost exactly the same size at 2 months! He was 12 lbs, 14 oz and 24 inches long also. He hit 26 inches at 4 months and thus outgrew his car seat carrier, but I still used it for shopping trips and such for a couple months longer. We of course installed a convertible car seat in our car as I was concerned about the safety of Lukas being in a car seat he was too long for, but it was just easier to carry him around in the carrier rather dealing with a wiggly little baby! As long as he doesn't weigh more than the 20 or 22 lbs that the seat is designed for I don't think there should be any safety issues with his feet hanging over the edge a bit more! The only other thing I can think of is switching to a carrier that you wear in the front of you over your shoulders (sorry, I've forgotten the official name for them and all I can think of calling it is a carrier!) Maybe by the time Andrew outgrows his car seat carrier, he'll be better able to hold up his head and you could use one of those?

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby HelenA » Jun 29, 2005 5:57 pm

Yes she is big..lol I guess it's because she was 9lb 8oz when she was born but she seems to have shot up in the last week or so..lol
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby aaronsmommy » Jun 29, 2005 10:59 pm

The height limit is just a guide, the baby outgrows his seat when his head is one inch from the top of the shell.

Any rear-facing seat is outgrown when: 1. the child has less than 1" of car seat above his/her head, OR 2. the child has reached the maximum rear-facing weight limit of the car seat. If an infant seat is outgrown before the child turns 1, a convertible car seat can accommodate the child rear-facing to a taller height and higher weight. The height guidelines are put on the seat by manufacturers to give a rough number of how tall a baby can be to use the seat. Remember, a baby who is all legs can use the seat longer than a baby who has a long torso. The weight limits must be strictly followed! (Source: Car-Safety.org, SBS USA) quoted from this site http://www.carseatsite.com/babycenter_links.htm

A sling is great for those trips to the supermarket. My son was always much happier in his sling anyway. We loved this one http://www.kangarookorner.com/k_shop_po ... stom.shtml and it would be great for you UK and Canada folk! We used it well in to toddlerhood, it's great when they get to that stage when they want to grab everything, because you can control them much better.

I can't remember how big he was, and he was preterm anyway, so it doesn't count.
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby shearn01 » Jun 30, 2005 8:15 am

Aimee and Joanna,
Thank you guys for the information he has a little more than an inch from the top of the carrier, maybe thats what I shall go by then. I'm glad to hear someone else has had this dielemma, as I thought my boy was some kind of giant(all my SIL's kids are short and my friends son was 6 mths before he outgrew the carrier). There are some really nice convertable carseats now though that can actually hold kids from 5 lbs all the way up to 40 lbs if they are a 3 in 1!!!! Thanks again for the info :D
Sabrina
Andrew 4/19/05
shearn01
Been There Done That

Postby dwtegli » Jun 30, 2005 10:34 am

Well, my ds outgrew his infant carseat due to weight at around 8 months. My dd outgrew her infant carseat just barely at about 13 months. Ds is just a moose and dd is very petite. He is almost as big as she is and she is about 16 months older. He probably outgrew his infant seat weightwise even earlier than that, but we put off getting a convertible seat due to money. It wouldn't be so bad, but we have to buy two of them and then when he gets over 40 pounds (which at the rate he is growing, won't be long) we have to buy two more.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby JulieinMN » Jun 30, 2005 11:00 pm

Our newest "little" peanut was 8lbs 14oz at birth and at his 2 month appt a week and a half ago he was 12lbs 10 oz!! That put him in the 85th percentile according to my pediatrician's charts!
Momma of 4
6 x HG Survivor
New baby due soon ~ 5/28/05
JulieinMN

Postby PamelaRose » Jul 01, 2005 10:24 am

My kids were all healthy growers--never any concerns about weight-gain with them! We don't do 1-month checks here; 2-week and then again at 2 months

Brody was 7 lbs 8 oz at birth and was 8 lbs 6 oz at 2 wks and 12 lbs 8 oz. at 2 months.

Avery (who was breastfed, if that makes a difference) was 7 lbs 11 oz at birth, 8 lbs 5 oz at 2 weeks, and 11 lbs 6 oz at 2 months.

Reilly was 7 lbs 9 oz at birth, 8 lbs 4 oz at 2 weeks, and 11 lbs 14 oz at 2 months.

Wow, my kids were all so similar! It sounds like KimberlyAnn is growing just perfectly. :D
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby meg » Jul 02, 2005 7:38 pm

Car seats: both Anabel & Patrick were in their infant car seats until 1 year. I can't imagine having kiddos so big that they outgrow them prior to that! :)

Weight: Anabel was 7 lbs 11 ozs at birth and 10 lbs 2 ozs at 1 month. Patrick was 7 lbs 3 ozs at birth and 9 lbs 12 ozs at 1 month. Moira Grace was 7 lbs 4 ozs at birth and only 7 lbs 11 ozs at 1 month. At her 2 month check up, though, she was up to 11 lbs 15 ozs! :D
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby HelenA » Jul 10, 2005 5:29 pm

Wowsa!! She seems to be shooting up...lol We weighed her tonight and she was 12lb 7oz at 6 weeks! Here she is with her new dolly..lol
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby dwtegli » Jul 11, 2005 11:19 am

She is absolutely adorable and just perfect. I just want to give her a big hug and kiss. :cry: I miss mine being that little.
Wendy,
There's no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one. ~ Jill Churchill
dwtegli
Forums Administrator

Postby Natalie » Jul 13, 2005 3:26 pm

Hi HEllon

I'm not sure of the exact measurements because dd's red book is at home but I do know that she started off weighing 8lbs 6oz at birth, went on up to the 75th centile and grew and grew and she passed the 98th for both height and weight and never came down again. She was totally breastfed for 8months (except for weaning obviously) and then on a combination of boobs and formula til 11 months.

When we last checked, she was in the 99.8th for height and off the chart for weight. LOLOL She does have gorgeously chubby legs with rumples and a big sticky-out belly. Bless.

Hang on a minute, why is it too cute on her and hideous on me??!!! Huh, something is NOT right :P

Love Natalie, x
2003 - DD
2006 - DS
2010 - DS
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby HelenA » Jul 13, 2005 4:49 pm

I know what you mean Natalie..lol KimberlyAnn looks so adorable and chubby, but for some reason it's a different story for me..lol I wonder what age it is when chubby stops being cute and you HAVE to be a stick insect?
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum