Going back to work

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Going back to work

Postby shearn01 » Jun 23, 2005 4:49 pm

:cry: After postponing it as long as I possibly could I have to go back to work :cry: :cry: Now yes I have to admit 3 12hour days a week isnt too bad, but the Bitch of my manager wasnt too terribly nice in my opinion. My 1st day back is the 12th, I had asked for the 13 off thinking I would need that day to gain the confidence to go back the next, but NOOOO I have to work the 12&13!! Now that is not the only bite, the following week I have to work a night shift my second week back. She's not giving my husband very much time to adapt(hopefully I can find someone to switch for a day shift, god I hope) I am fighting back tears now as I am realizing that it is truly not that far away. My husband can not wait for me to go back to work, as the added income is nice, but we've made it without it for 7 mths. I have so many fears about this whole situation that I do not know what to do (not so much as about the sitter but what my husband is going to do and be like....I am SOOO afraid he is going to pawn it off on his mother, but I guess he wont have too long after I'm gone to take him to the sitter) God I hate this. Any suggestions???!!!!! I am truly desperate now and thinking I may need to call my MD for an antidepressant b/c I swear I want to cry and drag my feet with everything now. :oops: :cry:
Sabrina
Andrew 4/19/05
shearn01
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Jun 23, 2005 7:58 pm

I was so terrified of going back to work. I didn't want to be away from my son, and I didn't even know if I would remember what to do. It really turned out okay, just started coming naturally, my son did fine, and I found that I still had a lot of time to spend with him. My husband stayed home with him, and he really didn't do much of the baby care at all before I went back to work, but he really stepped up to the plate when I went back. I don't think it will hurt to get him more involved, he CAN do it, and it may be nice for their relationship in the long term.

I can't believe they make you work both days and nights! That must be awful for keeping a sleep schedule. Could you promise someone that you will take more nights when your baby gets a bit older? Once he is sleeping most of the night, you would probably rather work then anyway and spend more time with him during the day. Hopefully that will come sooner rather than later.

Good luck
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby rjdecker » Jun 24, 2005 11:06 am

Oh, Sabrina,

If I remember right, you are a nurse? So the switching back and forth between shifts is common. Are you in an area where there are other places of employment? I have worked places where we were put on one shift and left there, unless we agreed to work a different shift. I know this may not be possible, only a suggestion. Also, when I had been out of work for 9 months and went back to work, I was able to remember pretty easily. It somehow comes back to you. Although, there were quite a few changes, I was able to adapt to them.

My dh also liked the extra income and it was hard for him when I quit, but we had a different experience where he is the administrator and I was hired on as one of his nurses and as you can imagine, it did not work well at work or at home for our marriage. Now I work only as needed at a pediatric office and love it because he is not breathing down my neck and I am free to be myself!

He was really good to take care of the stuff at home. He is a better mom than I am! It is not fair. And he did a lot of the housework. I have fibromyalgia, and so when I worked, I didn't do anything at home because I had to save energy for work! I hated that part. I hated hurting all the time and not being able to take care of my house and work at the same time. But we made it through.

And after each child was born and I went back to work, I always was sad because I didn't want to leave them. I remember holding baby #1 all day before I went to work in the evening, crying, and apologizing that I had to leave him. I understand that part.

Good luck and let us know how you are doing. Oh, and if you need an antidepressant, it may help you to be productive at work and at home. It helps a lot!

Jenny
Jenny

Nathan, Megan, Amy, Kimmie, and Michael + 4 birds, 4 fish, 1 turtle, and 1 dog!
We live in a zoo!
rjdecker
Master of HG

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum