Breastfeeding and HG medications/saftey copied from medfolde

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Breastfeeding and HG medications/saftey copied from medfolde

Postby HGx3 » Aug 15, 2007 3:58 pm

Here is some information from Medications and Mother's Milk (12th ed., 2006) by Thomas W. Hale, Ph.D. I tried to include everything I could think of that people take for HG. Please PM me if you'd like me to add a drug to the list. Note that the definitions of the categories (L2, L3, etc.) are below the list of drugs. Hale's contains more detailed info than posted here, but I included the basics.

Zofran (ondansetron): L2
Ondansetron is secreted in animal milk, but no data on humans is available. Four studies of ondansetron use in pediatric patients 4-18 years of age are available.
Pediatric concerns: None reported via milk.

Reglan (metoclopramide, maxeran) L2
[Also used to increase milk supply.]
Pediatric concerns: None reported in infants via milk. Commonly used in pediatrics.

Phenergan (promethazine): L2
No data are available on the transfer of promethazine into milk, but small amounts probably do transfer. However, this product has been safely used in many pediatric conditions, and it is unlikely to produce untoward effects in “olderâ€Â
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum