Emotional issues re breastfeeding

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Emotional issues re breastfeeding

Postby di » Jun 13, 2005 7:56 pm

hi all :) my dd is 18 days old and i can't get her to take the breast. my main problems are:
1) I had a c-section, and the midwife made my breasts so sore by hand expressing before my milk came in that i was unable to offer the breast to dd for 4 days. (I am still really angry about this coz other midwives were much more supportive) As most of you probably know, having a
C-S can put you 1-2 days behind a Vag delivery for when milk comes in. Out of concern for dd's health I gave her a bottle... big mistake.
2) She is used to the bottle, and has been averaging 1 expressed feed per day via the bottle, but pumping is time consuming and frustrating, and
3) I really wish I could properly breastfeed her and I feel really sad that it's not happening :(
4) dd has to work harder to get the milk, so cries, makes me stressed, so I can't let down....

Is it too late? Would she learn to nurse this late? Is it worth even trying? I am thinking of going to a breastfeeding clinic on Thursday, but am in two minds about it. DD is doing great on the formula, but I want to nurse her. Obviously I have milk there because she IS getting some breastmilk sometimes.

I seem to have got a touch of the flu off dh too, which probably doesn't help.

Anyhow, any advice would be welcome: I am not easily offended (I know this can be a touchy issue) and although I am bottle feeding, I wish I was breastfeeding, so I can see both sides of the arguement.

Thanks
Di (Jazmin's Mum :) )
di
Been There Done That

Postby aaronsmommy » Jun 13, 2005 9:58 pm

It does sound like you have gotten some odd advice. Are you really only hand expressing?? I can't imagine that you would do much to increase your supply that way, and if she's mostly bottle feeding and you are only hand expressing, I think it would be hard to have a good supply and then of course she is getting frustrated and so are you.

I do think it would be possible to breastfeed successfully, but my guess is that it is going to take quite a bit of work at this point. First, I think you would do better with a good breast pump (here we would call it a hospital grade double electric pump). The breastfeeding clinic sounds like a good idea, and the sooner the better. This website has a lot of good information on it www.kellymom.com

Only you can decide whether the work you will need to put in will be worth it. I would say at least give it a try, but I must say that is from the perspective of having had a wonderful nursing relationship with my son (after about a month of struggle which was certainly worth it for me).
Aimee

Aaron 12/4/02
aaronsmommy
Forums Administrator

Postby Juliette Punchello » Jun 14, 2005 9:37 am

I am so sorry that you both are having a hard time of getting started. I would say do whatever you can to try and get her to latch on to you and nurse often...since you have the flu you should be drinking lots of fluid and resting often...both of these things are conducive to nursing. Bring your baby to bed with you and the skin to skin contact will help your body know that you need to be producing milk for your baby. I also use a double pump that I rented from the hospital to keep pumping when you are away from your baby. Can your midwife refer you to a lactation consultant who could come to your home and help you and your daughter get latched on and practice? I have had and still have a wonderful nursing experience with my 11 month old...and I hope she doesn't want to stop for a while.

Do you have a LaLeche group in your area? I am a member of LaLeche and their meetings are so supportive and helpful that this could act as an additional support system for you and your baby. Are you near Perth? If so, call Trish ph (08) 9319 2659...she is the LLL leader. Also, check out their website for help. http://www.laleche.org/Australia.html

Good Luck...it takes each of you a while to learn how nursing works but it was well worth it for me and I hope it will be for you too! Julie
Juliette Punchello

Postby BlueEeyore » Jun 25, 2005 4:50 pm

There are several things you could try and I think seeing a lactation consultant or going to a LLL meeting would be a great idea.

I wonder if you could use a supplemental nursing system , which would both allow your baby to get plenty of milk without a lot of work, but would also help stimulate your supply because it requires suckling at the breast. It is a small tube that delivers milk to your baby. You tape it to your chest and its end is near the nipple, so your baby gets milk and sucking experience together.

You might also try pumping one side and once you see you've gotten a let down, try to nurse her on the other side. She may get less frustrated if she doesn't have to work to get the letdown started.

You could also try a Finger feeder to help get your baby used to sucking on flesh, rather than an artificial nipple. And you can start out rewarding the baby with a faster flow of milk with little effort and slowly increase the amount of effort your baby must exert in order to get milk - in order to get the baby used to the amount of suction needed to breast feed.

However, this second approach wouldn't protect your supply and you'd need to pump often.

In any event, until your baby is able to nurse at the breast, you'll want to pump at least every 3 hours to maintain supply. And a double electric pump is best.

You can do it!

There may be MUCH simpler ways to get baby back to the breast, but I wanted to let you know you have lots of options.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby JulieinMN » Jun 30, 2005 10:42 pm

This is about 2 weeks after your initial post, I hope things are going better with your daughter one way or another.

I second trying to get ahold of a La Leche group in your area. You CAN still breastfeed if you really desire to, though it will more than likely take some work. La Leche can help with this and support you through it.

Good luck!
Momma of 4
6 x HG Survivor
New baby due soon ~ 5/28/05
JulieinMN

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum