Exercise after a ceasarean

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Exercise after a ceasarean

Postby HelenA » Jun 12, 2005 5:34 pm

Ok I have the worst overhang in the world... I still look about 6 months pregnant!! Anybody got some ideas of gentle exercise so I can start on the road to getting some sort of shape back??? I am still wearing maternity clothes right now. I'm limited to what exercise I can do as the scar is still a bit sore, so sit ups are out...LOL :shock: I am starting to walk a bit more now but wondered if there was anything else I can do. TIA xx
Helen - 31 My blog
The Kids websites
Who cares for the carers? My blog about caring for a stroke victim
Imagehttp://img.weddingcountdown.com/ticker/n2abzkp9y.png[/img]
[/url]
Kimi - 28th May 2005
JJ - 22nd Sept 2006
James - 26th Oct 2007
HelenA
Forum Moderator

Postby 3kids » Jun 13, 2005 6:19 am

Honestly, it is still very early days. In the UK, you are normally not given the go ahead for formal exercise until your 6 week check.

I know it feels like your body has been gone forever, but we're not like all these celebrities (!) and in the scheme of things, it would be unusual really to be looking like that so soon after delivery.

I only want to try to "warn" you because I totally screwed up my recovery. I didn't have a lot of choice really as hubby couldn't take off work at the time and I couldn't drive anyway, but Jack was in special care for his first 9 weeks and within the first week, I had to walk about a mile for the bus a few times a day (then gave up after a couple of weeks and just stayed at the hospital from morning til night) and I think overdoing it in those early days did my healing no favours. Still to this day (almost 19mo later), my scar is still red and hurts occassionally, but worse for me, it is all raised and keloid.

So, my advise would be to accept for the next few weeks that you *should* still be taking things easy and as soon as you've had your check, to introduce *gradual* exercise. You can ask the doctor for specific post c-sec exercises, I think they have a leaflet, as there are certain things you really shouldn't do too early (like the situps so don't worry about that! :wink: )
Kelly, 30

3 m/c's

Jack, 3. HG 10w-birth
Katie, 2. HG 7w-birth
Ben, 7.5mo. HG 6w-birth

3kids
Been There Done That

Postby meg » Jun 13, 2005 1:16 pm

Hellon,

Kelly gave you great advice! Walking is OK before your 6 week check, but don't overdo. Let your pain be your guide. Also, if you have more bleeding after a walk, try a shorter one the next time. After your 6 week check, I would recommend that you begin yoga or pilates. Both are good for rebuilding your "core" strength.

Don't be too hard on yourself. It took 9 months for your body to get into this state, it's not really unusual for it to take just as long to really be 100%. In fact, some things may never be quite the same!
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum