Are Gallbladder problems common with HG?

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Are Gallbladder problems common with HG?

Postby weanat12 » Jun 10, 2005 8:01 pm

I was just wondering if gallbladder problems were common with HG, I had HG and was rushed to the hospital the week before I delivered because I was in so much pain I thought that something was wrong with the baby and after three days in the hospital and causing me to dialate to 4cm a month early they figured out that I had gallstones and all was fine with the gallbladder just before I conceived. Either way I was induced a week later had a gallbladder attack just when I started to push ended up with a forcep delivery but all turned out great and baby Duncan arrived safe and sound and I had my gallbladder removed a week ago today. The only problem I can say it really caused besides the pain was that my milk never came in therefore I was unable to breastfeed like I had planned.
weanat12

Postby HGx3 » Jun 10, 2005 11:06 pm

Here are my 2cents.

Gall bladder issues are common in pregnancy. Sometimes women develope sludge and even stones, only to have them resolve once the baby is born. (this was the case with me after my 1st and 2nd pgs).Others go on to have the GB removed after pregnancy.

Gall bladder DISEASE, is another issue, and I feel that it is often caused by hg, as GB Disease, is often brought on by a life threatening illness. Other risk factors for gb disease include:
Women in general, Overweight men and women, People who fast or lose a lot of weight quickly.
Pregnant women, women on hormone therapy, and women who use birth control pills.
I was rushed to ther er at 2 weeks pp, for nausea and vomitting, and pain in the middle of my back. An ultrasound found stones and a GB on the verge of preforation. Needless to say, I underwent emergency surgery to have it removed. My pathology report even found ganegreen!!!!
3 weeks later I developed pancreatitus from a gallstone.

Are you having symptoms?
HTH
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby weanat12 » Jun 11, 2005 10:27 am

all was fine after the attack while I was delivering the baby, that was until about 5 weeks pp then I woke up one morning with terrible pain and by noon I just layed in bed and cried my husband rushed home and took me to the er. while there they got the attack under control with zofran and heavy pain killers, then they gave me the option to wait the weekend out or have it done immediatly. I chose to wait because my husband had already missed so much time during the pregnancy because of the hg that I was afraid of jeprodizing his job further and being new to the area I just didn't have anyone that could take care of the baby while I had the surgery so we scheduled the surgery and my mom came to help with the baby.

all is fine now a week after it was removed and because I had so many large stones the doctor checked the tube that leads to the pancrius to make sure that none had got loose. so hopefully that will solve my problem. mine too was on the verge of explosion as the doctor put it so I am so glad that I had it removed because I just could fathum the pain associated with the and the risk of death. but I do feel that the hg played a very big roll in the gallbladder problems, like I said I know that mine was fine before the pregnancy and because of the hg I lost 57 pounds before I found a med that helped and then with the other 24 I lost when the baby lost 80 pounds total so I would say that was rapid weight loss, and I am sure that all the throwing up attributed to some of the problems as well.

anyways thanks for the imput I thought I was nuts to think that hg caused the gallbladder problems.
weanat12

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum