Encouragement

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Encouragement

Postby meg » Jun 09, 2005 7:09 am

I just wanted to post a little note of encouragement to anyone struggling with bfing. For some reason, bfing has become more difficult with each child rather than easier for me. I remember telling my mom at 3 weeks with Moira Grace that I felt like it was going to kill me just to make it to 6 weeks! I had terrible engorgement. We had latch difficulties. Moira Grace didn't gain any weight her 1 month dr's appt. She was too sleepy to bf properly. Etc. Etc. Etc.

Well, here we are at nearly 7 weeks and I'm so glad that I stuck with it. We have got the latch down - no more sore or cracked nipples. The engorgement has passed. She is awake and eating and gaining weight. Once a day, or sometimes every other day, we do give her a bottle of either expressed milk or formula just to keep her interested in the bottle - hoping to start going out a bit without the baby! :D - but other than that she bf exclusively. She eats every two hours with two three hour stretches (rarely at night! :( ) so I'm pretty exhausted, but I'm hanging in there. Things have improved so much from the early days that I am very hopeful about the progress we'll make by 3 months.

Just wanted to say that things do get better...

Hugs,
Hugs,
Meg

Mom to Anabel (7), Patrick (4) and Moira Grace (1)
HG Survivor
HG Free since 4.22.05!!!
meg
Devoted to You

Postby Juliette Punchello » Jun 14, 2005 9:42 am

Glad to hear that Moira Grace has caught on to nursing...nursing every 2 hours is great! Co-sleeping has worked great for us...I went back to work at 4 months and needed to get a full night sleep which was hard while nursing. I pulled her crib right next to our bed and she sleeps and nursing at will. It is wonderful!
Juliette Punchello

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum