were you able to get milk or colastrum.....

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

were you able to get milk or colastrum.....

Postby freesgirl » Jun 06, 2005 2:04 am

were you able to get any liquid out of your boobs while you were pg... the reason i ask is with my first son i had nothing coming out even after i delivered... i noticed my sis n law is 3 months and already lactating, one of my friends was lactating by 6 months pg... me i am 6 months and still nothing is coming out :x i hope i will be able to bf this time... should i buy a pump and try to pump before the baby gets here to start the milk production?
~Crystal

08-08-02(HG whole time)

lost an angel due to miscarriage on 10-04-04

08/30/05 (HG whole time)

New Angel!!! LMP 12/14/14 so due date is around 9/20/15
freesgirl
Been There Done That

Postby emily » Jun 06, 2005 8:03 am

I think I maybe saw one drop of colostrum when I was pg with my dd. It took about 3 or 4 days for my milk to fully come in with her and sucessfully breastfed her for 10 months. This time around (2nd pg) it I squeeze my nipple a little will bead up and dh says there is some there... lol. But, am I dripping wet or anything? No!

I would definitely take a breastfeeding class and check out Dr. Sear's book on Breastfeeding! Breastfeeding is definitely something to study up for!
emily
Devoted to You

Postby nomore » Jun 06, 2005 8:39 am

Ok.... LOL... I had colostrum by 5 months with my DD... it was so annoying.....lol... puking and now I have "stuff" coming out of my nipples too...LOL (like I needed anoehr orafice!)

But, my milk took almost 10 days to come in, and DD lost about 11% of her body weight and got pretty dehydrated. We ended up having to supplement. I dont regret it, but wish I had saw anotehr lactation consulant to try and increase my supply (I only saw one in the hospital). This time I plan on trying to BF more..... and I am not against supplementing a tad... I want to try to pump more though... I had some pump fear last time.

So, my sad little point is that it didnt seem to matter for me...lol

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Jun 06, 2005 11:13 pm

I never had milh or colostrum while pg, and I have successfully nursed all 3 kidos. I did have itchy, crusty nipples while pg though....ick!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby helen-l-a » Jun 07, 2005 11:02 am

My milk came in early at about 6 months with my first son, but I can't remember leaking for the the rest of the duration of my pg so presume it must have stopped. Although leaking whilst pregnant is not uncommon, it does not happen to everyone and I wouldn't say it is the norm (not that I am saying it is abnormal either). With my other two pregnancies I did not leak at all. My milk came in after a couple of days after they were born and prior to that they had the colostrum.

Every pregnancy is different and you are not abnormal or different for not having anything coming out yet and no you don't need to express before the birth. Hope that helps.

Helenxxx :D

Ps... I have crusty nipples too! yuck!!!!!!
Mum to.....
Luke 1990 not a HG pregnancy.
Jonathan 1994 not a HG pregnancy
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!
Thomas Bailey 2005 HG pregnancy

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Postby freesgirl » Jun 07, 2005 3:01 pm

lol ty girls i apreciate the much needed responses.... my mom had me worried she was telling me to start trying to get stuff out now so that i can be prepared this time when the baby came. she is a little psycho
~Crystal

08-08-02(HG whole time)

08/30/05 (HG whole time)

freesgirl
Been There Done That

Postby helen-l-a » Jun 07, 2005 3:21 pm

No worries lol I have one of those too... she has told me that this time this pregnancy is going to kill me (as if!!) and that because of my age, I am a very young looking (cough), immature, 36 year old, that it will have downs syndrome too.... what more could a girl need. As if I didn't have enough to worry about and has she not thought that I too may be worried that something, anything, could be wrong, the same as countless others I should imagine???............. need I say more?

You never know, perhaps that is what your mum did in those days, I know my mum did some strange things to us.... when she has mentioned them to the midwife on several ocassions with my previous babies they have looked at her totally mortified!!! lol.

But don't express anything as breastfeeding works on a supply demand basis... so if you express (and manage to get anything out) it means your boobs will only fill up again... a vicious circle. Eventually you will be looking at small babies as a source to relieve the pressure! lol :lol: (how horrid).

Take care
Helenxxx :D
Mum to.....
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Postby freesgirl » Jun 08, 2005 4:19 pm

LOL hellen at least i am not alone i agree moms are crazy
~Crystal

08-08-02(HG whole time)

08/30/05 (HG whole time)

freesgirl
Been There Done That

Postby helen-l-a » Jun 09, 2005 2:39 am

............... Yep!. But why??????? Why do they do it??????????
Mum to.....
Emily 1998 HG pregnancy!

helen-l-a
HG Expert

Postby BlueEeyore » Jun 25, 2005 5:10 pm

Some moms do have trouble making milk, but the vast vast majority do not. It isn't necessary to start trying to pump while pregnant. Each pregnancy is different - even in the same woman. I leaked all the time from 5 months on during my first pregnancy and nothing at all during my second.

The biggest help to a successful nursing experience is educating yourself and having breastfeeding friendly support.

Make sure you put your baby to your breast as often as s/he wants. This will greatly help you supply. If you run into troubles after the baby is born and nursing isn't going as well, be sure to pump to keep up your supply while you try to work things out.

Best of luck. You can do it!
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum