Protien Intolerances, Allergies,Special Feeding & Reflux

Recovering from birth & months of Hyperemesis, encompassing post-partum concerns such as nutritional and physical recovery from HG, breastfeeding support, and infant medical issues stemming from HG (infant reflux, feeding issues, prematurity, etc.).

Moderators: Atsie, tgger007, _Laurie

Protien Intolerances, Allergies,Special Feeding & Reflux

Postby nomore » Apr 05, 2007 2:41 pm

Hi Ladies

WARNING: post full of FOODMENT

We seem to have a few resident "experts" on food allergies and protien intolerances and reflux. And, sadly we seem to have a bunch of babies (and sometimes Moms) that need to be on special diets due to these problems. I thought it might be a good idea to have one central thread where we can add a BUNCH of info to and then refer people to it if the need arises.

PLEASE NOTE: If you think either you or your child is experiencing allergies, protien intolerances or reflux, please contact and see your medical doctor. These links are to help you, but should not be used in place of professional medical treatment.

So, I am going to break this down into different sections, and this will be a work in progress. And of course please post info and it will be added to this post. :)

I thought we could add info from websites to get more help, to lists of "safe" foods (or ideas) for those of us struggling on what we can eat or feed our babies, to recipes, to just general advice and tips.

There are 2 different reasons to to avoid certains foods. One is an actual allergy (which can be confirmed by allergy testing) and one is a protien intolerance, which is typically outgrown some point in childhood. Also, some need to be on a gluten free diet due to Celiacs disease.

The most common foods people seem to avoid ARE:

MILK
SOY
WHEAT
EGG
CORN
NUTS
TREENUTS
SHELLFISH
RICE
OAT

Websites for additional info:

www.foodallergy.org

www.allergygrocer.com

Website for buying groceries, lots of recipes.

www.actagainstallergy.com

general allergy info but more geared to MSPI and multiple protein intolerances. Has some great links... and you can sign up for updates. The Clinical diary is free and great for recording how each day/feeding is going so that you can keep a record for the doctor.

http://www.childrenshospital.org/clinic ... 024P0.html

Boston Children's Hospital Center for Aero-Digestive Disorders... info for families on the disorders and also available to book consults if you want.

https://www.sickkids.on.ca/sfs_site/sho ... ervice.asp

Specialty Food Shop of the Toronto Sick Kids Hospital (home of Motherisk as well...). You can consult a Registered Dietician by e-mail or phone for suggestions and help... they can recommend "safe" foods to you depending on the allergy and needs.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/index.php

The name of the site is pretty explanatory! They have recipes... and under "marketplace" links to sellers of allergen-free foods.

http://www.foodallergykitchen.com/substitutions.asp

Not the greatest site, there is a cookbook for purchase; but I love the fact that they offer "substitutes" suggestions for pretty much all the major allergens.

http://www.allergyblock.com.au/recipes/default.asp

From our friends down under, one of the best organized and labelled recipe sites for multiple-allergen free recipes.

Food ideas:

List of Food Ideas for dealing with MSPI (milk/soy avoidance):

Right now I have some safe foods:
Cream of Wheat
Stacy's Pita Chips (Cinnamon Flavor)
Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Rice Dream Rice Milk (Vanilla and Chocolate Flavors)
Almond Milk (Chocolate Flavor)
Dole Frozen Fruit Bars

I love veggies and most fruit. I was struggling with a butter/margarine that was safe and I think I finally found one:
Fleischmann's Light Margarine
It's made with corn oil and the label says "pareve" for those that are Jewish so they know that it is dairy free (thanks Gracie!) It also does not have soybean oil in it.

Reading labels has become standard so that I can protect Aidan from the foods that cause his vomiting, spitting up, and a horrible diaper rash.

I am going to cut and paste some of the helpful information from the Life Forum where I started a thread on MSPI.

From Kendra:
Kroger items:
*Del Monte light peaches
Tastee Apple Chips (haven't tried them yet)
Corn Bitz (think Corn Chex)
Honey Go Rounds (think Honeycombs)
Stacy's Pita Chips, Simply Naked and Cinnamon varieties
Tostitos Natural corn tortilla chips
*Carr's Table Water Crackers (haven't tried them yet)
*Barilla mushroom & garlic pasta sauce
*Barilla tomato & basil pasta sauce
*Bertolli marinara with burgundy wine
*Grape Nuts
*Hunt's tomato sauce with basil, garlic & oregano
*RoTel milder diced tomatoes & green chilies
*Kitchen Basics natural chicken stock
La Tortilla Factory soft taco size tortillas - 100% fat free (other varieties are not milk/soy free)
Duffy's crumpets (found in refrigerated section)
*Kangaroo pita pocket bread - 100% whole wheat

Whole Foods items:
(some may be available elsewhere)
*365 Organic cinnamon graham crackers
365 BBQ potato chips
Nueva Cocina tortilla soup
Shelton's chicken tortilla soup
*Whole Pantry Sea Salt & Roseary Crostini (haven't yet tried)
variety of dried fruits from "Just Tomatoes"
*Shelton's turkey chili
365 All Natural Root Beer

From Gracie:
Grains: Infant cereals from Beechnut and Healthy Times; Rice Crispies, Cheerios, Shreddies, Shredded Wheat. Hot cereals prepared without milk: oatmeal, cream of wheat; Regular and whole-wheat pasta, white or brown rice; egg noodles; pita bread, english muffins, flour tortillas (wraps). There are brands of muffin mix that are soy and milk free (add oil that is not soy based and substitute juice or almond milk for the milk). Some crackers, bisuits, cookies are milk & soy free but the recipes change, so always check the ingredients. (Premium plus 5-grain were okay at last check...)

Milk products: Alimentum or Nutramigen, Lamb-base, Coconut milk, Almond milk, rice milk. Any desserts made from these.

Meats and alternatives: Lamb, pork, horse, wild game (moose, deer,...) poultry (non-basted)... turkey, chicken, quail, duck, goose. Sausages from any of these meats (verify ingredients); Fish and seafood (caution with flavored tuna and salmon in cans and with battered items); Ham, bacon, eggs

Veggies and Fruits: All fresh, canned, frozen. Dried fruits and juices. Potatoes without milk or butter. Many commercial soups (be careful of ingredient list that it is not a beef-based broth)

Fats and Miscellaneous: Margarines not containing milk or soy. Mayonnaise (check label). Many whipped topping substitutes, sugar, maple syrup, table or corn syrup, honey, molasses, fruit jellies/jams, marmalade

When reading labels avoid: beef, beef fat, butter, casein, cream, gelatin, lactalbumin, lactoserum, lecithin, milk, milk solids, veal, whey, tarrow, oleo, soy, soya, soy bean, soy bean curd, soy flour, soy granules, soy grits, soy isolate, soy lecithin, soy milk, soy oil, soy sauce, tempeh, tofu, miso, HPP (hydrogenated plant protein, TVP (textured vegetable protein), HVP (hydrogenated vegetable protein), Hydrogenated vegetable oil (if the source is unidentified)

TIPS: The word PAREVE or PARVE on the label means the item does not contain milk

Soy sauce substitute: 2 tsp molasses, 1 tsp hot water, 1/4 tsp salt

Dark chocolate is usually safe...

Also, in case you didn't know, Indian food (east indian) excludes cows (they are sacred and foods should not contain cow's milk either... but always double check and they may contain soy)

BTW... Rice Dream also makes very tasty (subjective I guess...) ice cream bars... or you can get plain vanilla and put fresh fruit or warmed jams over it.

There are salad dressings that are safe... obviously not the creamy ones (although the creamy texture can be from mayo and not milk/cream so you can check) or the italian ones (often have parmesan) but some good old olive oil and vinegar and spices (even a tex-mex spice mix) work great if you cannot find a store brand.

To substitute sour cream (from the dietician): 50ml of corn starch, 175ml of water and 50ml of vinegar. You can add spices to it to make it "Tex-Mex" or Greek or Italian...

Butter substitute... not easy but there are Kosher margarines out there.
I'll do a search for you. I use a store brand which won't help you (unless I Fedex it!) since you don't have our chains in the USA.

A post from me:
I found a whole table of Jewish Passover food and they had macaroons that I could have!!! I bought Almond, Chocolate, and Chocolate chip- NO DAIRY OR SOY! Ahhh chocolate! The brand was Manischewitz.

Bought Vanilla Rice Milk and Chocolate Almond Milk

Food for Life Rice Almond Bread

Dufty's Crumpets

And besides those I have Stacy's Cinnamon Pita chips that I love love love. I am eating Kanagroo whole wheat pitas for lunch and cream of wheat for breakfast every morning.

Chocolate Macaroons don't have nuts. They contain: Coconut, egg whites, sugar, invert sugar, potato glucose, cocoa, salt, artificial flavor, and potassium sorbate.

Pretzel Rods (check the label)
Dairy Free Gelato
Vans Waffels
Mrs. Leepers Rice Pasta

Reflux Websites:

www.infantrefluxdisease.com

great for reflux, silent reflux, colic. Although the HER forums are the best ever ; the Moms on the reflux forums are very supportive and helpful too. Under "Free tools" are checklists of symptoms to fill in and bring to the doctor when he/she is not taking this seriously.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20011201/1853.html

Excellent printable article covering GER and GERD in infants and children. From the Association of American Family Physicians.

**** I just wanted to start this post. LOTS more info needs to be added to it- I just dont have the time right now. Please reply to this post and I will add the info. And one of the mods, can you please sticky this?

Thanks! :)

Robin
Last edited by nomore on Apr 08, 2007 7:29 am, edited 9 times in total.
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby krdoty » Apr 05, 2007 3:02 pm

Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Postby Gracie » Apr 05, 2007 7:15 pm

www.infantrefluxdisease.com

great for reflux, silent reflux, colic. Although the HER forums are the best ever :lol: ; the Moms on the reflux forums are very supportive and helpful too. Under "Free tools" are checklists of symptoms to fill in and bring to the doctor when he/she is not taking this seriously.

www.actagainstallergy.com

general allergy info but more geared to MSPI and multiple protein intolerances. Has some great links... and you can sign up for updates. The Clinical diary is free and great for recording how each day/feeding is going so that you can keep a record for the doctor.

http://www.childrenshospital.org/clinic ... 024P0.html

Boston Children's Hospital Center for Aero-Digestive Disorders... info for families on the disorders and also available to book consults if you want.

http://www.aafp.org/afp/20011201/1853.html

Excellent printable article covering GER and GERD in infants and children. From the Association of American Family Physicians.

https://www.sickkids.on.ca/sfs_site/sho ... ervice.asp

Specialty Food Shop of the Toronto Sick Kids Hospital (home of Motherisk as well...). You can consult a Registered Dietician by e-mail or phone for suggestions and help... they can recommend "safe" foods to you depending on the allergy and needs.

http://www.kidswithfoodallergies.org/index.php

The name of the site is pretty explanatory! They have recipes... and under "marketplace" links to sellers of allergen-free foods.

http://www.foodallergykitchen.com/substitutions.asp

Not the greatest site, there is a cookbook for purchase; but I love the fact that they offer "substitutes" suggestions for pretty much all the major allergens.

http://www.allergyblock.com.au/recipes/default.asp

From our friends down under, one of the best organized and labelled recipe sites for multiple-allergen free recipes.

I've got more; I'm just short on time right now...

:hugs:
Gracie
Gracie
Master of HG

Postby JustMelissa » Apr 06, 2007 10:40 am

Hi, I'm Melissa and I am breastfeeding my 2 month old son Aidan who seems to have a Milk-Soy-Protein-Intolerance (MSPI). This means that I have had to modify my diet so that I don't ingest milk or soy. Some children also react to beef, Aidan doesn't seem to be having a reaction (yet!).

Right now I have some safe foods:
Cream of Wheat
Stacy's Pita Chips (Cinnamon Flavor)
Whole Wheat Pita Bread
Rice Dream Rice Milk (Vanilla and Chocolate Flavors)
Almond Milk (Chocolate Flavor)
Dole Frozen Fruit Bars

I love veggies and most fruit. I was struggling with a butter/margarine that was safe and I think I finally found one:
Fleischmann's Light Margarine
It's made with corn oil and the label says "pareve" for those that are Jewish so they know that it is dairy free (thanks Gracie!) It also does not have soybean oil in it.

Reading labels has become standard so that I can protect Aidan from the foods that cause his vomiting, spitting up, and a horrible diaper rash.

I am going to cut and paste some of the helpful information from the Life Forum where I started a thread on MSPI.

From Kendra:
Kroger items:
*Del Monte light peaches
Tastee Apple Chips (haven't tried them yet)
Corn Bitz (think Corn Chex)
Honey Go Rounds (think Honeycombs)
Stacy's Pita Chips, Simply Naked and Cinnamon varieties
Tostitos Natural corn tortilla chips
*Carr's Table Water Crackers (haven't tried them yet)
*Barilla mushroom & garlic pasta sauce
*Barilla tomato & basil pasta sauce
*Bertolli marinara with burgundy wine
*Grape Nuts
*Hunt's tomato sauce with basil, garlic & oregano
*RoTel milder diced tomatoes & green chilies
*Kitchen Basics natural chicken stock
La Tortilla Factory soft taco size tortillas - 100% fat free (other varieties are not milk/soy free)
Duffy's crumpets (found in refrigerated section)
*Kangaroo pita pocket bread - 100% whole wheat

Whole Foods items:
(some may be available elsewhere)
*365 Organic cinnamon graham crackers
365 BBQ potato chips
Nueva Cocina tortilla soup
Shelton's chicken tortilla soup
*Whole Pantry Sea Salt & Roseary Crostini (haven't yet tried)
variety of dried fruits from "Just Tomatoes"
*Shelton's turkey chili
365 All Natural Root Beer

From Gracie:
Grains: Infant cereals from Beechnut and Healthy Times; Rice Crispies, Cheerios, Shreddies, Shredded Wheat. Hot cereals prepared without milk: oatmeal, cream of wheat; Regular and whole-wheat pasta, white or brown rice; egg noodles; pita bread, english muffins, flour tortillas (wraps). There are brands of muffin mix that are soy and milk free (add oil that is not soy based and substitute juice or almond milk for the milk). Some crackers, bisuits, cookies are milk & soy free but the recipes change, so always check the ingredients. (Premium plus 5-grain were okay at last check...)

Milk products: Alimentum or Nutramigen, Lamb-base, Coconut milk, Almond milk, rice milk. Any desserts made from these.

Meats and alternatives: Lamb, pork, horse, wild game (moose, deer,...) poultry (non-basted)... turkey, chicken, quail, duck, goose. Sausages from any of these meats (verify ingredients); Fish and seafood (caution with flavored tuna and salmon in cans and with battered items); Ham, bacon, eggs

Veggies and Fruits: All fresh, canned, frozen. Dried fruits and juices. Potatoes without milk or butter. Many commercial soups (be careful of ingredient list that it is not a beef-based broth)

Fats and Miscellaneous: Margarines not containing milk or soy. Mayonnaise (check label). Many whipped topping substitutes, sugar, maple syrup, table or corn syrup, honey, molasses, fruit jellies/jams, marmalade

When reading labels avoid: beef, beef fat, butter, casein, cream, gelatin, lactalbumin, lactoserum, lecithin, milk, milk solids, veal, whey, tarrow, oleo, soy, soya, soy bean, soy bean curd, soy flour, soy granules, soy grits, soy isolate, soy lecithin, soy milk, soy oil, soy sauce, tempeh, tofu, miso, HPP (hydrogenated plant protein, TVP (textured vegetable protein), HVP (hydrogenated vegetable protein), Hydrogenated vegetable oil (if the source is unidentified)

TIPS: The word PAREVE or PARVE on the label means the item does not contain milk

Soy sauce substitute: 2 tsp molasses, 1 tsp hot water, 1/4 tsp salt

Dark chocolate is usually safe...

Also, in case you didn't know, Indian food (east indian) excludes cows (they are sacred and foods should not contain cow's milk either... but always double check and they may contain soy)

BTW... Rice Dream also makes very tasty (subjective I guess...) ice cream bars... or you can get plain vanilla and put fresh fruit or warmed jams over it.

There are salad dressings that are safe... obviously not the creamy ones (although the creamy texture can be from mayo and not milk/cream so you can check) or the italian ones (often have parmesan) but some good old olive oil and vinegar and spices (even a tex-mex spice mix) work great if you cannot find a store brand.

To substitute sour cream (from the dietician): 50ml of corn starch, 175ml of water and 50ml of vinegar. You can add spices to it to make it "Tex-Mex" or Greek or Italian...

Butter substitute... not easy but there are Kosher margarines out there.
I'll do a search for you. I use a store brand which won't help you (unless I Fedex it!) since you don't have our chains in the USA.

A post from me:
I found a whole table of Jewish Passover food and they had macaroons that I could have!!! I bought Almond, Chocolate, and Chocolate chip- NO DAIRY OR SOY! Ahhh chocolate! The brand was Manischewitz.

Bought Vanilla Rice Milk and Chocolate Almond Milk

Food for Life Rice Almond Bread

Dufty's Crumpets

And besides those I have Stacy's Cinnamon Pita chips that I love love love. I am eating Kanagroo whole wheat pitas for lunch and cream of wheat for breakfast every morning.

Chocolate Macaroons don't have nuts. They contain: Coconut, egg whites, sugar, invert sugar, potato glucose, cocoa, salt, artificial flavor, and potassium sorbate.

JustMelissa
HG Expert

Postby JustMelissa » Apr 06, 2007 10:42 am

I wanted to include more "safe" foods:
Pretzel Rods (check the label)
Dairy Free Gelato
Vans Waffels
Mrs. Leepers Rice Pasta

JustMelissa
HG Expert

Postby JustMelissa » Apr 10, 2007 7:51 am

The following foods are the least likely to provoke allergic reactions according to http://infantrefluxdisease.com/food-intolerance.php

Beverages:
Almond milk, Quinoa milk, herb teas, apple juice and other pure or freshly squeezed fruit juices without sugar or additives (dilute 50:50 with water).
Roasted grain beverages may be used as coffee substitutes. If you like fresh coffee, Dandelion root which you can grind in a coffee grinder.
Soya milk is fine UNLESS you have an allergy to soya!

Cereals:
Oats (unless you have diagnosed Coeliac disease or are known to be “sensitiveâ€Â

JustMelissa
HG Expert

Postby angie » Apr 10, 2007 5:03 pm

Just a trick for mom's or older kids on the MPI -

I've been off dairy for a while now. I had to stop because I am MPI. Once I stopped, my asthma improved so much, that I hadn't used my inhaler in over 2 years before we conceived.

My doctor told me that most people *don't* outgrow it, we just either ignore the symptoms, or attribute them to something else. Because it is deeply engrained in us that milk must be good for us. He'll give a whole speech on it that lasts about an hour. :)

Anyway, he offered two tips that are helpful that weren't covered above. But did say that I needed to be off the milk products for at least 6 months first. The first was that I could have organic heavy cream. It has no milk protein in it at all. To dilute it down to 1:4 parts with water, and it makes a good milk substitute. The other is that I *could* have milk - IF and he really really stressed the *if*, it were fresh from the cow. He then had another nice lecture on how the processing of milk affects the protein in it and that is part of why it is so allergenic.

Now, I don't have a cow in the back yard, but I do use the heavy cream with great success. I've used it as milk, and I've made ice cream from it as well. Works great!
Angie

ImageImage

ImageImage

Michaela (13), Liam (2), & Susan (17) - all HG babies
angie
Opinionated HGer

Postby JustMelissa » Apr 10, 2007 9:10 pm

Hmmph, very interesting. I am trying out a new doctor tomorrow and hoping she'll give me more information.

Glad to have you here in the post partum forums!

JustMelissa
HG Expert

Postby angie » Jul 21, 2007 9:46 pm

I've seen and heard lots of concern about "depriving" oneself of nutrition if you don't get dairy products. Which, isn't really correct, but I digress. I'm here to tell you about my latest find...

Hempmilk!

Me and my kids love it. The original is just slightly sweet. So no need to get vanilla or chocolate. And nutrition wise, it beats the pants off of cow's milk! It naturally has protein and the good omega fatty acids that everyone is pushing now for baby's brain development! And it's enriched so the vitamin and mineral profile knocks the pants off cow's milk. It is a bit more expensive, so everyone out there needs to go buy some, so the supply will increase and costs will go down! :lol:
Angie

ImageImage

ImageImage

angie
Opinionated HGer

Postby nomore » Jul 22, 2007 10:01 am

Angie

Thanks for the addition. I havent seen anywhere on this thread where anyone has mentioned they have been deprived of nutrition for avoiding dairy, so perhaps you were referencing something else???

In any event, after going through severe HG, if you are on an elmination diet (espeically like the one I was on- no wheat, dairy, soy (including vegeable oil), egg, corn, shellfish or nuts), after 5 months, it WASNT good for my health to continue on such a limited diet, when I already had such poor nutrition during my pregnancy. That was the advice of my personal medical DR (and honeslty, he was right). It wasnt balanced enough or rich enough to help my body recouperate from poor nutrition for the 9 months prior.

Thankfully, most Moms who eliminate usually just have to avoid dairy and sometimes soy, which is and can be still nutritionally balanced enough.
nomore
Forum Moderator

Postby angie » Jul 22, 2007 1:45 pm

no, not on this thread! Just lots of concern when someone mentions eliminating dairy. There is so much misinformation out there that your diet isn't balanced, or is nutritionally deficient, if they eliminate dairy. Which honestly isn't true. A person *can* have a perfectly balanced, nutritionally sound, diet that doesn't include any kind of dairy products.

Now, a strict elimination diet such as you describe, does produce deficits. And without nuts or nut products, it would be extrememly difficult to overcome. You'd have to complensate with lots of lentils for what you were missing. And be very good about variety in veggies and fruits. Not a fun diet to plan out!
Angie

ImageImage

ImageImage

angie
Opinionated HGer

ZEGERID COUPON

Postby krdoty » Jul 23, 2007 5:50 pm

http://www.zegerid.com/ZEGERID_Coupon.asp

The coupon at the site above will give $30 off your out of pocket cost. There is no indication on the coupon or the website that you cannot use the coupon every month.
Kendra, M.W.F.E.
krdoty
Pukologist

Return to HG Recovery & Post-Partum