Contractions and dialataing at 28 wks, has this happened to

Moms with HG in their 3rd trimester.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47, MichellevsHG, mammaclare

Contractions and dialataing at 28 wks, has this happened to

Postby heather in italy » Sep 30, 2004 8:05 pm

Hi,
Sorry, I seem to be posting alot lately. I feel like I've had a million ups and downs and even more questions. I went into the hospital last night with contractions that were between 3 and 8 min apart and quite a bit more painful than they have been and my doc told me that I have dialated to 1cm. She said she wants to try bed rest before giving me any meds to stop pre-term labor(procedure here at this military hospital). She gave me the option to stay in the hospital on bed rest(I've so had enough of the inside of the hospital, even with a wonderful staff, it is just the last place I want to be) or to be on bed rest at home and come in immediately woth any change. I've opted to be at home in my own bed. She thinks the labor has something to do with my HG. After all the suffering and hardship with HG(still having symptoms off and on, still on daily meds to survive), could this really be happening. Thanks for taking the time to read and for any reply given. Heather
heather in italy

Postby caleighbelle47 » Sep 30, 2004 9:40 pm

I had contractions that dialated me to 1cm at 30 weeks. The contractions stopped on their own and I was put on bedrest. At 31 weeks I went into premature labor that wouldn't stop. I spent a week in the hospital on Magnesium. I dialated to a little over 2cm. This past tuesday at 35 weeks labor started again, and the doctors stopped it. So now I'm dialated to 3cm. My contractions are ALL the time and so painful. I know that one big reason for so many contractions for me and probably for you or anyone with HG is dehydration. They want me to drink at least 3 liters of water a day. There's no way I can do that. But extra fluids don't always help stop the contractions.

I can understand what you're going through, hopefully you don't have to deal with too much preterm labor. Especially with HG. Hopefully you're getting good health care, I was born in Italy and my mom didn't get the best care. Luckily she had a normal pregnancy. I can't imagine HG over there. Hopefully some things have changed.

All I know is that even with dialation and lots of contractions, you never know what will happen. In the past 5 weeks the doctors have thought my baby was going to be born so many times, and I'm still pregnant. That's the hardest part for me, I never know what's going to happen.

Good luck,
Angela
caleighbelle47
Forums Administrator

Postby teddi » Oct 01, 2004 12:31 am

Heather,

Sorry to hear this has happened. I too suspect that you battling dehydration is probably what led to this. It seems you've definately talked to your doctor about your options but she MUST she just MUST give you SOME WAY to get fluids much more often than you are. I don't care what your insurance would NORMALLY cover at this point she should consider it absolutely necessary! Threaten a lawsuit? I mean this is truly borderline NEGLIGIENT. If you did have this baby prematurely there is ample documented medical literature which details the risks of premature labor and dehydration. Regardless of whether your insurance "covers" it- see if you can get to just WRITE the ORDER - for a PICC line with standing orders for hydration therapy (either in a hospital or at home). Then maybe you can look into arbitration or threaten/beg/cajole your insurance carrier.

You and your baby need this care! There ought to be insurance police!
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Return to Third Trimester HG