Labor with a picc line in

Moms with HG in their 3rd trimester.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47, MichellevsHG, mammaclare

Labor with a picc line in

Postby marimitchell » Sep 29, 2004 11:05 pm

I am in my 30th week of pregnancy and have been sick with HG since week 5. I have been on Zofran, Protonix and daily IV fluids for the past 3 months and have found all of them crucial to being able to function through this illness. As I approach my due date, my midwife is wanting me to consider weaning off the fluids and getting the picc line removed. I think she is concerned about potential complications during labor. I would love to hear from other women who have a picc line in and are planning on keeping it in through labor. I would also love to hear from women who have delivered with a picc line in. What are the potential concerns / dangers, if any?

Thanks so much!
Mariah
marimitchell

Postby nomore » Sep 30, 2004 1:05 pm

Mariah,

I got my PICC line in at 12 weeks and had it removed 2 days AFTER delivery! I was still using it for IV meds (Zofran) until delivery. I had no problems with it during delivery at all..... keep in mind women labor with IVS in all the time (you need them for an epidral)- of course most women usually dont labor with a picc line!

Actaully the worst part of having the PICC line in during delivery was after my daughter was born, and I got to hold her, and my arm was bent and it kept making the alram button go off on the IV (for hydration). BTW, I never made it to the epidural. I went from 4 cm to 10 in about an hour, and when I was ready for the epdiral, I was fully dialated.. no wonder those stupid contax were SO painful!!!!!

I wouldnt worry about labor with a PICC. The biggest risks for PICC lines are infections prior to delivery.

I finally convinced them to get the picc our 2 days PP. They would not remove it earlier, as they wanted to have it in in case they had to give me any meds qucikly....

Good luck,

Robin
nomore
Forum Moderator

Return to Third Trimester HG