finally made it to 3rd tri.....sick

Moms with HG in their 3rd trimester.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47, MichellevsHG, mammaclare

finally made it to 3rd tri.....sick

Postby heather in italy » Sep 28, 2004 7:07 am

Hi there,
I am so excited to have finally made it this far. I have been pregnant with really bad hg for a year now on and off. I had 2 consecutive miscarriages last year at 12 and 8 weeks both with severe hg., and now this pregnancy. It has been quite a struggle and is even still taking its toll on my husband and three children ages 2, 5 and 7. I had an ng tube in the beginning to avoid being sent away to a hospital in germany for ptn.
The hospital here mickey moused an ng tube for me, I couldn't bear being alone so it was their way of keeping me here. I imagine my hg might have been alittle better if I could have had home health care but that is not an option here. I have been on zofran, medrol, benedryl and b-6 most of the time, as well as frequently visiting the hospital for i.v.'s . we have tried others but they didn't work and some actually made things worse. I am finally off the medrol. I was doing so well 2 weeks ago that I thought for sure this was over.......we all know how that goes. I even put on 6 pounds(I have yet to meet my pre-pregnancy weight. I lost 20lbs this time around. I got a cold about a week ago and I was doing ok to begin with. now that I'm at the tail end of the cold I'm having a difficult time again. last night i was feeling so much nausea that I couldn't eat and I've been vomitting all day today(nothing but bile). I tried to eat some hot cereal for breakfast as that usually settles my tummy and I couldn't hold it down. It's midday now and The nausea just keeps getting more intense and the vomittng happens if I move around. I am so afraind that this is starting over again. I was so hoping this was over. I've been ahgving braxton-hicks contractions all day I know due to my impending dehydration. I have to get this stopped but even my dissolveable zofran is not really doing the job it normally does. My husband is in school time and ahalf and works a job where he is not accessible and I have no family here and no one can help me with my kids until thursday so there is no way I can go to the hospital on top of that we're still waiting for my drivers license renewal to get here from Ca. so I can't drive to the hospital even if I could find child care. Kind of stuck in a crumby place right now. it is hard and lonely here. I am trying so hard but just when I get my hopes up, my world comes crashing back in on me. The stress is unbearable at times. Thanks for any support/wisdom. Heather
heather in italy

Have you tried Meclizine?

Postby teddi » Sep 28, 2004 1:56 pm

Heather,

Sorry to hear about the backslide. I KNOW how s****y they are. Just when you get your hopes up....

Have you tried Meclizine? I have actually found it useful not in STOPPING the nausea per se, but keeping it away. I take 25 mg at night. It helps me sleep and generally keeps the nausea away in the morning too. I wouldn't use it to try and break a vomiting cycle, but it has actually helped me some. Here in the U.S. it's available OTC.

Do you have a PICC line? I know you said you don't have "home health" but if you had a PICC do you think you could do fluids at home? I do. I don't have a nurse come to my home- I just get my supplies delivered and I do it myself. It has helped tremendously being able to manage it MYSELF and AT HOME. Nothing worse than being where you are right now- waiting until you are "so bad" that you go in for IV's. My dr didn't want to go for it at first. I had to PRESS for it. I had the nurses do some instruction- they showed me what I needed to know and eventually my dr relented. I know it's rare but if having nurses come out daily isn't an option the DIY might be.

Hang in there and may time pass quickly.
Teddi
Bert , 3/2000 HG#1, wk 6 - birth, GB removed @ 16wks
Chloe & Kaylie, 12/2004 HG #2, wk 7 - birth, pre-E/pancreatitis
~Angel babe~ March 2012
~ Baby Chuckles~ July 2013
teddi
Forums Administrator

Postby heather in italy » Sep 29, 2004 3:06 am

Thanks so much for the reply. I believe we did try the meclizine and it intensified my vomitting. Strange reaction i know but I have strange reactions to medications. I can't take reglen of Phenergan either because I have distonic reaction to both of those. My insurance will not cover a picc line nor anything else that is useful outside a hospital setting. I am a military spouse and my insurance told me point blank that they offer those things in the states because the have to compete with other insurance companies and over here they don't so that don't have to offer anything they don't think is necessary. It was a 5 month fight just to get them to cover dissolveable zofran and then it took another month for the script to arrive and they only cover 15 pills every 30 days. I know that there are women out there that have a much worse struggle than me but I cannot afford to pay for these things out of pocket.
I wish these things were available to me but it is part of the price that we pay being a military family overseas. My doctor has been great, she does the best ofr me that is available fir that I am grateful. I know that the hg is messing with my head again. I have lost 4lbs in fluids since yesterday. I know that when I get in for the IV I will get it all back. I just have to hang in until the weekend. I see my doc friday morning(I am lucky that my husband's boss is letting him take his lunch break in the early morning to do this because otherwise I would have no transportaion other than my bicycle.) Monday I have another ultrasound. I hope and pray that this little boy is ok. Things are not normally like they are right now. My husband has just started a new job and has gone from highly accessable to it would be nicer if he were TDY.
I don't want anyone getting the wrong impression of him. He is very supportive and as a family we are doing the best we can struggling through all of this. He was in a car accident yesterday. The car he was a passenger in was rear-ended, so now on top of a new job, 1 1/2 time school, a wife with HG, 3 kids and now add whiplash and possible nerve damage, I know he is doing the best he can. All I can do right now is hold on to knowing that this will be over soon. Right now, I am 28 weeks tomorrow. I am due Christmas day but hoping to deliver around 37weeks as my children seem to like to arrive around that week. Thank you so much for the support. Heather
heather in italy

Return to Third Trimester HG