Help!!

Moms with HG in their 3rd trimester.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47, MichellevsHG, mammaclare

Help!!

Postby Claire » Aug 26, 2004 4:58 am

I'm currently 37 weeks pregnant and everything is fine apart from the fact that I've been vomiting 3 - 5 times per day for the last 6 weeks. Prior to 31 weeks I was relatively ok - no major sickness. The doctors have prescribed Stemetil, but it doesn't seem to be working. Everytime I bend over or cough I seem to be sick, and the nausea is practically constant. My legs, feet and hands are so swollen they look like they belong to someone else, but all I'm told is baby is fine and blood pressure is fine. Is this HG? How "normal" is it to develop it so late in pregnancy? Any tips on how to survive the last 3 weeks (which seem like forever at the moment)? Any ideas on how to cope with people who insist on telling you to "enjoy your rest now because you won't get any after the birth" - what rest? I'm generally throwing up 2 or 3 times in the middle of the night.

Claire
Claire

Postby Kschwintz » Aug 26, 2004 8:48 am

Claire,

I am a little confused. Did you have HG in the beginning of your pregnancy? If not, I have been told that "vomitting in the third trimester is preeclampsia, unless proven otherwise." Is your doctor checking your urine? Are you swelling or seeing floaters or stars in your vision? Upper right quadrant pain or shoulder pain? Have they checked your liver enzymes?

If all of that checks out okay, then I don't know what could be causing it. Gallbladder issues maybe?

Take care,
Kim
*Ainsley (11-26-02) born at 36 weeks Severe HG, Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome
Kschwintz
Been There Done That

Postby Claire » Aug 26, 2004 2:29 pm

Kschwintz

I didn't have any problems in first trimester - only "normal" morning sickness / nausea. Vomiting started only at 31 weeks and has continued unabated since then. I am concerned about preeclampsia - my mom had it when pregnant with me, I have floaters in my vision and heavily swollen arms, hands, legs and feet, but Drs keep telling me BP is fine, no protein (or trace only) in urine, liver function tests are fine. I am at my wits' end about throwing up continuously for no reason that the Drs can give me. Your website was given to me by blooming awful in UK when I contacted them. I don't know why this is happening, and wondered if anyone there had any experience / knowledge of something like this starting in 3rd trimester.

Thanks!
Claire

hi

Postby IslandDreamer » Aug 29, 2004 3:05 am

Hi,

I never had this experience and do not have any helpful information to share, but just want to send you my thoughts.
IslandDreamer
HER Majesty

Postby HGx3 » Aug 30, 2004 3:35 pm

It is not at all uncommon for hg symptoms to return or worsen in the 3rd trimester. I posted something similar when I was 34 weeks and got lots of responses from hgers who had started to vomit again. All I can tell you is to take the same meds you were taking when hg was at its peak for you, especially if you weaned off of them. If you were like me, and never stopped taking your meds, then try increasing your dose if there is any way to do so. Otherwise, you could ask your doc for vistaril. It is a mild sedative that is also used as an antiemetic. It works for some. I started on it around 28 weeks. I guess it helped some.

Time is on your side at this point in the pg, though I KNOW how every second of every day just drags. I hated the comments....just try to enjoy it....My response was always"What is there to enjoy???"

I too am concerned about your swelling. Keep a close watch on it. I starting swelling at the end too and my bp was fine, but I made sure my ob new that my feet looked like balloons!!!!!! Try to keep them elevated as much as possible, and start begging your doc to induce at 38 weeks, then you will be done next week, lol!!!!!
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Return to Third Trimester HG