Wishing there was childbirth classes especially for US!

Moms with HG in their 3rd trimester.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47, MichellevsHG, mammaclare

Wishing there was childbirth classes especially for US!

Postby hgisrael » Jul 20, 2004 12:38 pm

I went to my first childbirth preparation class last night. Although there were three other lovely couples, just listening to them made me want to scream - why couldn't I have a pregnancy like that! And then ofcourse there was there "what should you be eating" or not eating. And that look of shock when I tell people I drink diet coke (the ONLY thing that helps my nausea). You can just see them thinking "how could she do that while she's pregnant!" and then there's the "you should be exercising atleast twice a week, swimming being the best" HA - How do I explain that having a shower is completely exhausting and can only be done on bad days. But the best was that she assured me that because my Mum had to be induced at 2 weeks past her due date for 3 out of 4 of her pregnancies, that there was no way I would give birth on my due date - which is EXACTLY what you want to here when your counting down day by day, hour by hour! Thankgoodness I have my husband who reassures me every day that I was chosen to carry this child and therefore whatever I have to do to bring it into the world is enough. It's just so frustrating, I feel so cheated out of my pregnancy. I know some of you are suffering loads more than I am at this stage and my heart goes out to you. Counting down with you.....
Leah
hgisrael

Postby emily » Jul 20, 2004 2:24 pm

I didn't go to a childbirth class. LOL I was too sick. I did register us for a breastfeeding class because I was very committed to breastfeeding. It was all I could do to make it down there with DH for the class. Then, I got really sick and had to get up and leave and go lay down on a couch for most of the class. So, there was DH, at the breastfeeding class, by himself!
emily
Devoted to You

Postby cthmschler » Jul 20, 2004 2:30 pm

HMMM. . . How exactly I could go swimming with a PICC line is an interesting conundrum. . . As it gets damp most of the time even when I shower with it wrapped in plastic wrap and two different kinds of tape. . . As for other EXERCISE?!?! I consider a day that I'm well enough to walk down the stairs a blessing, anyhting more strenuous would have me passing out (heck, sometimes doing that has me passing out or falling down.) I completely agree with you about other people not remotely comprehending what we're going through. I took nutrition classes and went to a dietician throughout my first pregnancy, and even though I wasn't anywhere near as sick, all the classes did was make me throw up more, becasue of all the food they talked about. And don't you just HATE being around healthily pregnant people? It's just SOOOO discouraging. I have to say that the only thing which keeps me from being in a homicidal rage towards my sister Mary (who has 8 kids and almost NO problems with any pregnancy) is the fact that she NEVER tries to pretend she knows what I'm going through. But it's awfully hard to find someone like that :lol:
Teresa
Mama to Micah Thomas (2-95), Noah Alexander (11-96), Quentin Louis (5-01), and (drum roll, please) Gabriel Ryan (7-04)
cthmschler
Welcomed Friend

Postby emily » Jul 20, 2004 4:51 pm

Oh, this reminded me of one other thing. During my last trimester I would go to the peri about 2 or three times a week. At the bottom of the hospital where his office was, was a Starbucks. I would often get a venti iced carmel macchiatto (for some reason, they sounded good and it was one of the few things that did). Non decaf. And then I would walk up and my doctor would be very approving. LOL He said the caffeine would probably give me a little bit of energy. My doctors didn't care what I ate, they were just thrilled if I could eat anything.

I do know how discouraging it is though. I had all of these hopes and dreams for my pregnancy and the only one that came true was a beautiful, healthy baby at the end. But, it was such a let down and it is something you have to grieve a little, because it can seem so unfair. I see so many people around me getting pregnant without a second thought to HG and I KNOW I would have another baby by now if it weren't for fear of repeat HG. I am getting to the point that I feel like my baby (my second not yet conceived) has been stolen away from me. But, I digress.....
emily
Devoted to You

Postby mammaclare » Jul 20, 2004 9:57 pm

I actually had our doula (and HypnoBirthing coach) do our classes for us alone because I couldn't stand the idea of being with happy preggo people. We negotiated a fee for it and since we were using her as a doula as well, she was nice about it all.

I did go to some of the baby care stuff at the hospital and I had to pop Zofran during a couple seminars and in one the lady next to me looked at me with some sort of homicidal rage as if I were a druggie trying to get my baby addicted. I can't believe I didn't let it rip on her...I am glad I kept it together but she stared and stared and rolled her eyes at me and I wanted to sucker punch her in her big, happy belly. Am I bitter? Nah!

They had food at every one of them for the break--just fruit and veggie trays. One time I was at the end of the line and there was no more FOODMENT pineapple chunks left. I actually cried as it was one of my few safe foods and I really wanted them. Again, some interesting looks came my way as I cried and threw my empty plate in the trash.

Also had some issues at the infant CPR--didn't want to barf into the mouth of the dummy so I had excersise all the control I had. I think I ate 4 boxes of tictacs in 2 hours for that one!
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Phew - so it's not only me!

Postby hgisrael » Jul 21, 2004 8:28 am

Thanks for all your words of encouragement! It's so nice to feel that's it's not just me. I also discussed with my hubbie something positive to do. After getting loads of photocopied handouts at the last class, I have decided to make my own handout about HG. Hopefully the educator will be ok with me giving it out. I live in Israel and I think the support network for HG is non-existent plus I have yet to find a professional who hasn't rolled their eyes and given me the "are you sure that's wise" look when I say I tool Zofran. I'm hoping that if I can get this educator to give out this factsheet at all her classes then thw word might get out there and hopefully this condition will be better recognised in this country. If any of you have any ideas about what I could include on the factsheet. I only want it to be 1 A4 page - it seems like such a short space to describe what we all go through!
Leah
hgisrael

Postby RebeccaM » Jul 21, 2004 1:22 pm

Leah,

That's such a great idea!

There are actually brochures and handouts (and other stuff) already made and ready to download from this website. If you click on the "Mothers" tab you will see a link called "Survival Guides and Downloads." There are several different downloads, but I would do the "What is HG," or "When Loved One Has HG." Come to think of it, the first one is a lot longer, so maybe what you could do is extract some selected information from that and make it in to your own smaller handout. Both handouts have excellent information in them.

Good luck, and I hope that all wasn't too confusing. Feel free to ask if you have questions.
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby hgisrael » Jul 21, 2004 2:12 pm

Thanks rebecca - I'll check that out! I'm hoping this will make me feel that somehow I'll hitting back at HG or making it slightly easier for another couple going through this!
Leah
hgisrael

Postby acorn » Jul 22, 2004 9:26 am

Leah,
I had the exact same experience. In a room of 20 (10 couples), everyone sitting in chairs in a circle, I had to have a couch pulled over and I laid down on it. At first I was embarrassed because I was so tired of feeling so different in pregnancy, but then I got over it really quickly.

One thing that sort of helped me....
Before class, I told the midwife teaching the course that I had severe HG and she was really empathetic (even though there is no way in hell she could even understand the physical side affects and pain involved).
But, she definitely didn't make me feel like an outcast.

Anyway, hang in there. How much longer do you have to go? Is it your first baby? I just gave birth to the most beautiful baby girl and this HG was TOTALLY worth the hell I went through. Though, at the time, I lamented each minute of each hour about how nauseous and dizzy and weak I was.

Amy
acorn

Postby hgisrael » Jul 25, 2004 6:57 am

hi amy

Yes this is my first baby, and noone told me pregnancy could be like this!! Infact my Mum loved being pregnant so much she had 4 in four years. My sister also had a typical healthy pregnancy. I thought I would be so good at it so HG came as a big shock.

I have to say though I feel luckier when reading some of the stories on this website. I managed to come off medication at 21 weeks, and although I still have severe nausea, I only vomit about 1/2 week or when i really overdo it. I even managed to go back to work a month a go, which is really tough, but it's the only way I have chance of getting any of my maternity leave benefits.

Thankfully my husband is a star and has taken over the total running of the house. Hope you are feeling better and glad you found a childbirth educator with a sympathetic ear.

I have 9 weeks to go and counting....

Leah
hgisrael

Return to Third Trimester HG