swollen ankles

Moms with HG in their 3rd trimester.

Moderators: HelenA, caleighbelle47, MichellevsHG, mammaclare

swollen ankles

Postby stephensmam » Jun 22, 2004 11:51 am

anyone any ideas on what to do about hughly swo;;en ankles they are sollen from the time i get up till i go to bed and its not as if im doing much walking around just the usual around the house which isnt much and its hard to lye with your feet up when your runningaround after a 6 yr oldshould i put them im cold water will that do anything?

i still feel crappy and im soooo tired iv no appitite at all so trying to make dinner for stephen and paul is horrible most of the time i dont bother my poor son is living on micro popcorn and sandwhiches , and im only 28 weeks , i also have major problems with my legs they get so sore especialy at night when im trying to sleep i get terrible pains and am tossing and turning all nigh is this just part of pg i cant remember its so long since i was pg the last time.
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Postby cthmschler » Jun 22, 2004 12:36 pm

Jacqueline

I can't help you with the swollen ankles part, but I've been having the same problem with my legs (and back) for months, and unless you have a hot tub :lol: my best advice is: STRETCH. Lean against a wall to stretch your calves, and get one of your legs at a time up on a stool, table or chair and lean forward (as far as you can, with baby in the way :wink: ) to stretch your thigh muscles. I know it's hard (some days I'm so weak I can't stand up long enough to do it at all, lately, or only can do it with hubbby right there to hold me steady and support me when I get dizzy) but if you can manage to do it for 5-10 minutes twice a day, you should notice a HUGE difference in the leg pain. It occasionally even relieves my back pain, to a small extent. Of course, a soak in a hut bubble bath is always nice too :) , if you can manage it, but it's not enough on its own to help with long term relief from the pain. I've had this problem (the leg pain) with increasing severity in each pregnancy, and I know that it can make you truly miserable.
Teresa
Mama to Micah Thomas (2-95), Noah Alexander (11-96), Quentin Louis (5-01), and (drum roll, please) Gabriel Ryan (7-04)
cthmschler
Welcomed Friend

Postby Natalie » Jun 22, 2004 2:08 pm

Hi Jacqueline
You may be able to help reduce the swelling by massaging your feet and ankles. You have to work from the toes / ankles upwards (i.e. towards your heart) in long sweeping motions.
Hth
Natalie.
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby HGx3 » Jun 22, 2004 8:25 pm

Hey Jacquline,

Are you swelling anywhere else? You want to keep an eye on your swelling just on case it might be indicating something more serious. HAve you done your gestational diabetes test yet?

Try staying off your feet as much as possible.
Huge Hugs,
Lisa
HG Mom to:
Matthew, 2001
Lauryn, 2002
Joshua,2004

HGx3
Devoted to You

Postby mammaclare » Jun 22, 2004 9:28 pm

I know this sounds CRAZY and has a FOODMENT...

But, the best natural diuretic is actually melon. So, if you can lay your hands on (and can keep it down) watermelon,canteloupe or honeydew, it can really help edema (swelling). Added bonus is all the water that is built in--helps for staying hydrated.

Also, be sure that your face isnt swelling and that your blood pressure is okay just to be safe.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby Kschwintz » Jun 22, 2004 11:39 pm

J-

Wow, I am so happy that you are in the third trimester!!!

Clare covered me about the blood pressure. Also, you may want to call your doc and mention it. At your next appointment, ask about protein in your urine (will determine if your swelling is normal or not)!!

Also, a couple of people emailed me about your friend who had preeclampsia. Let me know if she still needs support.

Take care and big hugs!
Kim
*Ainsley (11-26-02) born at 36 weeks Severe HG, Preeclampsia and HELLP Syndrome
Kschwintz
Been There Done That

Postby stephensmam » Jun 24, 2004 3:38 pm

thanks everyone,
ill try all of that my bp i fine and no protine in theurine, ill try the melon and hope it stays down ,
lots of love and hugs Jacqueline
HG pg no 1 28/04/98 darling son Stephen ivs only,pnd
HG pg no 2 01/09/04 darling daughter Sarah ivs , zofran, steroids, meclizine, b6.http://lilypie.com/Kids_Birthday_code.p ... y_code.php#
stephensmam
Been There Done That

Return to Third Trimester HG