Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Postby jstenerson » Oct 04, 2004 1:52 pm

Hello:

I am a new member to this board, I thought I would share a bit of my history. I was pregnant for the fist time in 2001 and had HG, did not find this board at that time. I first started getting sick at about 5 weeks and it progressivly got worse. Had many trips to the ER and one mulit-day hospital stay. Unfortunately, at that time, I really was not educated well as to the issue, so I would wait until I was about passed out before I would seek medical treatment. I think I just figured - hey, this is morning sickness, it will pass. I remember the dizziness being almost as bad as the nauseau and vomiting. I would lie on my bed and feel as though it were spinning at about 100 mph. Almost lost my job because I missed so much work. But, somehow made it to 6 months and started to feel human again. Right at that time, my husband was in a major motor vehicle accident and as a result is now paralyzed from the waist down. So, I spent the remainder of my pregnancy, not barfing my brains out, but instead living in hospitals and sleeping on chairs in the ICU. So, needless to say, pregnancy holds basically only negative connotations for me.

Except, of course, for my beautiful daughter. She turned out just wonderful. She is now 2 1/2 and my husband and I thought she really should have a sibling. Of course, this time conception was definitely more complicated, due to his spinal cord injury. It took about a year, but we are now pregnant. We are only about 6 weeks and it has already begun. The awful retching and vomiting are not in full force yet, but absolutely everything I put in my mouth tastes like .....(ok, a dead otter is a really good description from a posting I read today on this board). And the dizziness is full on - I could barely get up today, the bed was spinning so fast. I am absolutely petrified to eat anything, because the vomiting is so awful. How could I have forgot exactly how this feels? I am surviving right now on mineral water and saltines.

So glad to have found this board, I am sure I will be back. Thanks for letting me share my story.

Jennifer
jstenerson

Postby emily » Oct 04, 2004 2:39 pm

Hi Jennifer and welcome. This isn't a very "fun" club to be a part of, but it does feel good to know you aren't alone.

Take care and congrats! I hope to be joining everyone in the first trimester forum soon!

Emily
emily
Devoted to You

Postby PamelaRose » Oct 04, 2004 4:58 pm

Welcome, Jennifer! Congratulations on the new pregnancy, and on finding the courage to face HG again. I think the toughest part of HG is that "What the hell was I thinking?!?!?" moment that accompanies the first full-force vomit with repeat HG. Our bodies and minds block it out, with good reason. The good news is that you're educated this time, and you know that HG is survivable and worth it. Until that point, however, the name of the game is survival!

What meds did you try with your previous pregnancy? They probably tried some antiemetics in hospital IVs; if there were any that were particularly promising, it's a good place to start this time. Zofran is the most common med around here, but there are many others, and it's just a matter of trial and error to find what works best for you. The dizziness you described sounds familiar; I found relief with meclizine (and Zofran and B6 and daily IV - lol) the last time. Talking with your doctor now and getting started on a treatment regimine may help you stay in control as HG spirals downward. Let us know how it goes!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby halgal427 » Oct 05, 2004 10:54 am

hey jennifer,
sorry to hear about how sick you were last time and that it has started again. it is a horrific feeling but you can get through it! have you read the sticky on zofran/b6/unisom? i hope that you have a good, understanding doctor. that can make a big difference. another thing that can help is being proactive yourself and treat the hg before it gets so bad. keep us all posted and know that you are not alone. i hope that this pg is better then the last and is as well managed as it can be.

congrats!
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Return to New to the Forums