Hi All!! My reintroduction

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Hi All!! My reintroduction

Postby jlgrafix » May 30, 2004 9:35 pm

I came over to this board from the Delphi forum. So some my know me as JLDESIGN from there.

I'm on my second child and as with the first I have HG. Last time it lasted till week 32. So far I am starting week 8 and it has no sign of letting up. I'm on Zofran but still have good days and bad days. Yesterday was horrible and I am better today. Just hoping the next 8 months go by fast :lol:

My first son is 2-1/2 and has Down Syndrome. He's a cuttie and just into everything, luckily my mom is only 20 mins away and is always willing to take him when he gets to much. I also work at home so that also helps with the schedule.

My husband who at first was supportive, has gotten tired of me and insists that this is all in my head. So I'm sure I'll be heading to this board for your support. So glad I found it this time around.

So hi all,
Jen
----------------
Jen
DS 9-01 (HG from weeks 6-32)
Due with DD Jan 12, 05 (HG started at 6 weeks and still going)
jlgrafix

Postby MamaLily » May 30, 2004 9:41 pm

Jen -

I remember reading your posts on Delphi...so glad you are here.

Have you already directed your husband to this site? Maybe reading in the "Family & Friends" section would help him understand what you are going through. That is so tough not to have all the support you need from your family!

Have you looked on the list of volunteers on this site? Maybe an HG survivor lives in your area. I know that talking with women who had survived HG helped me so much when I was pregnant!

I'm hoping those good days continue for you!

- Anna
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Husbands!

Postby PamelaRose » May 30, 2004 10:03 pm

Hi, Jen--nice to see that you found your way over here! I'm sorry to hear that HG is rearing its ugly head again. How much Zofran are you taking? Have you tried pairing it with anything else? Andy has tons of info in the 1st Tri folder, as you know.

Husbands! It took my wonderful husband until the 4th time to realize that HG was not about him! He tried, and he did what needed to be done, but I have far too many memories of criying (without tears) and puking because he'd snapped at me about laundry or kids' baths or something else I wasn't able to do. When he had to hook up my fluids at home, he finally saw how dependent I was and how there really was no choice in the matter for me. Well, that and a bunch of exasperated co-working women who were practically in tears for me when he matter-of-factly reported that I'd had a bad night or he'd brought me to the hospital again. Before that, I don't think he understood what pregnancy was supposed to be like and how absolutely surreal HG is. Those women were a Godsend to get him to realize that it was impossible to pretend HG is normal, even if it's normal for us.

I think dragging your husband to the computer and making him cruise some posts may help; if you get me your location, I can line you up with a buddy whose DH can talk your husband through it, too. Hugs to you - hang in there!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby RebeccaM » May 31, 2004 7:58 pm

Hi Jen. I'm sorry your husband isn't being very supportive. My dh had a really hard time with my HG. It wasn't so much that he was being a jerk as it was that he had a hard time accepting it. Also, he is a paramedic and is used to helping people feel better and knowing what to do in medical situations. He could NOT figure out what was happening to me and he never knew what to do about it. He wasn't thinking along the lines of just helping out by comforting me, cleaning the house, etc. He had the typical guy response (I'm not saying that in a negative way) and wanted to fix the problem. He would literally watch me throw up and then (GROSSMENT) analyze what came up. He would say things like: "It doesn't look like that's stomach contents." (!!!!) (END GROSSMENT). What he failed to realize is HG is not something you can fix. You can control it with drugs and hydration, but that's it. He also had a problem with me taking drugs, specifically Zofran. Towards the end, he thought I was addicted and that I would still need them even after I delivered, which of course wasn't true. Don't get me wrong, my husband is a great guy. He just had a hard time understanding and accepting my HG. But I know he'll be better the next time we get pregnant. When I was active on the HuGS forum he would tease me and call it "Hugger Muggers." (all in fun of course) I told him they moved the forum so I'm not a hugger mugger anymore. He says I still am :)

Anyhow...the point of that long story is...it's hard for guys to understand HG and it's even harder for them to see their wives so sick. I think they sometimes try to explain it away by saying things like "it's in your head," or "you're just addicted to the Zofran." For the most part, these husbands aren't bad guys. They just need a good kick in the pants! :)

I agree with the other ladies. Have him look at this website and maybe it will help him understand. It's a great resource.

I hope things start looking up!

Rebecca
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Return to New to the Forums