14 wks.Have the taste of a dead Otter in my mouth! Help!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

14 wks.Have the taste of a dead Otter in my mouth! Help!

Postby Mindy » Sep 12, 2004 12:13 pm

I have never in my life felt so bloody ill. I don't think I have had HG as bad as some of you and my heart goes out to you. I have been in hospital once and had my head down the toilet from about week 5 to 12. Now at 14 weeks the vomitting has subsided, but the nausea has not..and it's not just the sickness and nausea. It seems like my whole personality has been flushed down the pan. I am exhausted, not really interested in anything, have headaches and the constant taste of dead otter in my mouth. I am virtually unable to look after my 3 year old which is devostating. It is hard to remember that this is part of a process where you get a baby at the end of it! :cry:
I would like to hear from other people in the same boat. Also someone please give me the average week that this stops. This is a total nightmare! Any words of encouragement?
Mindy

Postby halgal427 » Sep 12, 2004 2:25 pm

hey,
hang in there. you have made it so far! i'm sorry to hear that you have had such a hard time. the thing to keep in mind is that this all does end and you get a brand new great smelling baby. at this piont it is hard to imagine anything smelling good. i am also 14 weeks pg w/ my 4th. i am at the piont where i have better days then others and for myself, i usually begine to be functional again at 16 weeks. by 18 wks i am much better and by 20 weeks i am feeling pretty good. of course i have to watch triggers through the whole pg but i can handle it. many gals here feel better by 20 weeks as well but not all. it sounds as though you are improving and that is a great sign that maybe in a few weeks you will out of it. i will keep my fingers crossed for you.

you may want to read around the board for many great tips on the nasty taste in your mouth thing. i have found that the only thing that works at all for me is brushing my teeth with mouthwash. many gag on the brush but some try those mouthwash strips (listerine i think makes them) other try altoids lemon drops. it is so hard to know what will work for you.

i hope you feel better soon and keep us posted,
kim
edd 3-9-05
haley 4-27-96
devyn 11-20-99
isabelle 12-30-02
halgal427
Welcomed Friend

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 18, 2004 4:04 pm

Ah, the delightful taste of dead otter. Yuck! I'm happy to hear that the worst of the vomiting has passed for you, but we all know how terrible the nausea can be. Mints and hard candies can help with the horrible taste in your mouth; there are many other tricks that others have tried--I'm sure you'll get useful suggestions if you ask the specific question in one of the treatment forums.

As far as timelines go, your previous experience is your best guide, since HG is different for everyone. But many women do begin to see lessening of symptoms after 14 weeks; by 20 weeks many are starting to feel much better, and 2/3 are free of symptoms before delivery. You're in the terrible phase right now where your worst symptoms are waning and your body is trying to adjust to this new degree of HG. The other symptoms will start to ease, too; I hope you're feeling better soon! Let me know if you'd like a buddy.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

I hate that taste too!

Postby dolphinsnb » Sep 20, 2004 7:02 am

Hi. I'm at about 13.5 weeks now, and boy do I know what you mean about that taste! It's so gross! I've started carrying gum around with me. It helps a little with the taste and a little with the lovely burping/heartburn/nausea I've been experiencing. I've also tried Listerine mouthwash - the orange flavored one. It helps a little. Good luck! I'm right there in misery with you right now!

Shannon
dolphinsnb
Welcomed Friend

Postby danimomof2girls » Sep 20, 2004 11:01 am

Wow, dead otter is tht perfect description for the taste that HG leaves with you (not that I've ever tasted dead otter:) I'm sorry you are having to go through this, but take heart that it will be over and you will regain reasonable taste buds once baby is here. All of the ladies here have great advice with the lemon drops, gum etc. I could never do gum because it made me want to vomit more, but sometimes sucking on a mild candy would help. I also liked peppermints as well. I usually could only get through half of one at a time, but it helped that nasty taste that your tongue gets.
All I can say is that we're thinking of you! Hang in there, you will one day enjoy food again!
Danielle
SURVIVED HG TWICE!
Kaitlyn Elise (11/22/99) - Hospitalized 13 times
Julia Leigh (02/03/02) - Given Zofran SubQ pump
Rec'd TPN's via Hickman Catheter from 7 weeks gestation till birth after failed enteral treatment.
danimomof2girls
Welcomed Friend

Return to New to the Forums