16 wks... and at wits ends

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

16 wks... and at wits ends

Postby yankee » Sep 09, 2004 8:30 pm

This is my first pregnancy and i thought it was going to be so exciting. and then it hit... hg. i've been in the hospital four times and on zofran for what seems like forever. i've been lucky enough in that at least the puking has subsided but im horribly nauseas all the time. i was doing better for about a week or two and then it came back and now im back to not being able to really eat anything. i gained my first pregnancy pound after losing 15 and now im back to picking at food. im at the point where it just doesnt seem like its going to get any better.
my husband is in the military and just recently got deployed so im kinda in this alone. and to make matters worse my doctor keeps telling me that its normal and will go away. this just doesnt seem normal to me and her attitude makes me think im going crazy. everyone ive talked to keeps telling me that it will go away, but at 16 wks it doesnt feel like it. i just want to find people who are going thru or have been thru this. i just want to feel like im not going nuts.
yankee

Postby BlueEeyore » Sep 09, 2004 8:54 pm

You could start to feel better. I hate to give you bad news, but I had HG my last pregnancy and it lasted 9 months. HOWEVER, by the end I was able to eat much better.

I have it again and am also 16 weeks along. It is the total pits.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby jjbeck » Sep 09, 2004 11:56 pm

Sorry to hear you are feeling so bad. I have been through HG twice I know what you mean about feeling like you are crazy because everyone keeps telling you it is normal. But you are not crazy and it is NOT normal morning sickness. I wish I could tell you it will go away soon....it may get better being you are at 16 wks, but some of us have it the entire pg. I can tell you though I felt extremely alone the 1st time around, but the 2nd time.... the ladies on the HG forums helped me out tremendously. I dont know that I would have been able to get through the PG w/o the support.
Feel free to email me or IM me anytime.
Take care and feel better soon
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 10, 2004 6:41 pm

Welcome! You're certainly not alone, and you're not crazy, either. HG is nasty enough to make it seem that way, but the support you find here will help immensely with the isolation and the questions.

Many women see HG ease up after 14 weeks; by 20 weeks most have seen at least some improvement, but there are a few who struggle through to the end. But they make it, and their babies make it and are worth every wretched second of it. Of course, making it through day to day is the struggle and the focus, and good support can help.

32 mg/day is standard during the worst of it, and from there the wean-down needs to be VERY slow. Nausea is tough, and Zofran doesn't touch it for most. You can try a companion med like Unisom or meclizine, or perhaps even a new form of treatment like steroids. If you look around the various forms here, you'll run into many different treatments that many HGers have tried; at this point, you can certainly ask your doctor about ideas that seem promising to you. If you'd like me to set you up with a volunteer, let me know! Best wishes.
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums