I was sick almost 9 years ago. I am very scared.

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

I was sick almost 9 years ago. I am very scared.

Postby Bethers » Sep 06, 2004 8:07 am

Hi everyone. I had HG almost 9 years ago with my son. Back then, the doctors did not know what was wrong with me. I was admitted to the hospital over 30 times. It was the worst. I was also under a lot of stress as I was in a bad marriage with an alcoholic and he was abusive. We were also moving and he was moving me away from my family which didn't help.

I remarried and have a great guy. We married two years ago. 6 months before that my mom who was my best friend died. We took on care of my sister who is 50 who has downs. So now my life is peaceful with my husband, sister, and son except it's hard not having my mom here. I had a miscarriage this past May it was devasting. I am now 6 weeks pregnant. Scared that I will miscarry again and also scared of the HG. So far I have had very little nausea. Does that mean it's coming. If so should I get Zofran right away when it starts? I would like to be able to keep working this also scares me of being sick at work.

Any help you can give would be great. :)

Thanks!!
Bethers -Mom to Justin 1-9-96 HG hospitalized 40+. Mom to 2 angels 5-21-04 & 11-16-04. Will ttc in Feb 2006. 2 more Months OMG!!!rl=http://www.tickercentral.com]Image[/url]
Bethers
Been There Done That

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 06, 2004 2:51 pm

Welcome, Beth, and congratulations on the new pregnancy! You will find that much has changed in the treatment of HG over the past decade, and the fact that you're in a stable situation now will help, too. HG is like any other major illness--the more support and less stress you have, the better you cope. Sounds like everything's in place for you now, and that's great.

Your last HG pregnancy is really your best indicator of how this one will progress. Why were you hospitalized all those times back then--to be rehydrated, or meds along with rehydration? Your best bet right now is to be taking 150 mg/day of B6 and Unisom as needed (up to 3 of the blue tablets--see the "Preparing for HG" forum) for nausea. Zofran seems to be the most popular anitemetic now, though there are many others. Many women have a Rx on-hand or ready to call in at the first sign of vomiting, so if you haven't been in touch with your doctor already, that's the next step. You may be able to manage for awhile with B6/Unisom and Zofran, or you may quickly spiral into dehydration and need to look into daily rehydration; again, your last full-term HG will give you a clue about how your HG may progress, since it's different for everyone. But no nausea yet is good; most are feeling pretty low by 6 weeks. Even if it does kick in soon, at least you enjoyed a few good days!

As far as work goes, do it while you can, and know that it's ok when you can't handle it. If you're able to function, work can be a good diversion from the constant worry. But many HGers can't manage walking to the bathroom during the worst of it, much less getting ready to leave the house, so work becomes impossible. As with everything else in your life right now, it's a game of wait-and-see. I wish you the best; let us know how you're doing!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums