Hospital?

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Hospital?

Postby Atsie » Aug 31, 2004 5:53 pm

Hi all,
Not a great week at all!!!
At what point do you go to the hospital?? I have kept NOTHING down for 24 hours and no liquid nothing. Gravil supp. isn't working. I feel so awful and so helpless.
So when should I start thinking about the ER? I have large Ketones in my urine (thats what the box says!)

UGH
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby MamaLily » Aug 31, 2004 6:18 pm

Erin -

I think you ought to go NOW. If you have ketones and haven't kept anything down for a while, your body is probably dehydrated. PLEASE go in and stop the downward spiral that can worsen your HG. The first time I went in for an IV, I came home feeling so much better! I can still remember the great feeling of becoming fully hydrated after being so sick. It's worth the trip to the hospital!

Keep us posted on how you are doing...

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Postby mammaclare » Aug 31, 2004 7:32 pm

I agree. My OB said ketones over moderate (mid level) means call for IV. I had home hydration for 2-3 days at a time if mine got high. Once on a Sunday I went to the ER in desperation.
Clare
Mommy to Rory Benjamin 8-28-03
And Kieran Alexander 12-15-06
HG Babies-Week 5 to The Bitter End!
mammaclare
Forum Moderator

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 31, 2004 9:48 pm

Now. You are dehydrated. Ketones make you more nauseated. Don't allow yourself to get sicker or it will be harder to get out of the downward spiral. Good luck.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 31, 2004 9:48 pm

Oops, duplicate post.
Last edited by BlueEeyore on Sep 01, 2004 3:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby galit » Aug 31, 2004 9:51 pm

Erin,

Is Gravol all that you are on? Are you taking anything else? With my first pregnancy my GP only gave me Gravol and I almost died. Gravol by itself is never enough for HG.

galit
galit

Postby Atsie » Sep 01, 2004 6:32 am

Hi there,
I am also on Diclectin (Canadian drug) plus grvol prn. I'm thinking it isn;t working!
I am on my way to the ER now. What a great way to spend time off huh??
Thanks for you advice!
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby galit » Sep 01, 2004 7:20 am

Erin,
Good luck with the ER. You should feel better after hydration. I posted some info on diclectin and gravol. If you do a search on Diclectin , you should find it. As I posted, there are a lot of alternatives but you need to be proactive. Please let us know how you are doing.

galit

(Currently living in MA, moved here from Toronto 4 years ago, but still following the Canadian protocol. I am on 6 diclectin a day and 31 weeks pregnant)
galit

Postby Natalie » Sep 01, 2004 2:58 pm

Hi Erin

Well, it's almost 24 hours since you posted and I was just wondering how you got on. Are you feeling any better? Are you back from the hospital?

Natalie
Natalie
Forum Moderator

Postby Atsie » Sep 04, 2004 3:10 pm

Well I am finally home from the hsopital. After 11 hours in ER I was admitted to the hospital!! I was there for four days! 11 L of iv fluid, many meds later I am home. My keatones are negative!!!!!
I am now on 8 diclectin tabs a day, Maxeran 4 times a day, Zantac 75 twice a day and gravol supp p.r.n. I am also on a wet/dry diet.
I feel much better but am nervous to come home. I am hoping that now I can manage this at home. As nice as all the Dr's and nurse's were, I don't want to stay over anymore!!!
Thank you all for your advice and support! Amazingly helpful!
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby MamaLily » Sep 04, 2004 10:55 pm

Erin -

Welcome back! I'm very glad to hear that they took good care of you and admitted you (since it sounds like you needed more care than the ER could provide). It is hard to be in the hospital, though, so I understand that you want to be home. I'm hoping that you can stay on top of things and avoid a return trip!

Keep us posted on how you are feeling...By the way, how far along are you now?

- Anna
"The little reed, bending to the force of the wind, soon stood upright again when the storm had passed over." - Aesop
MamaLily
Opinionated HGer

Dont wait too long

Postby janiecw » Sep 12, 2004 1:40 am

I had a couple good days and thought i was better. I was wrong and spiraled down quickly. I was unable to eat or drink anything for 2 days, when i began to vomit blood i went to the hospital i was admitted for four days and told that my chemical levels were critically low and that i was severely malnourished and dehydrated. I was luckily able to begin eating on day 3 after being threatened with having tubes ran down my nose and into my stomache to feed me. i feel if I had not waited so long I would not have been so bad off. I am now back on zofran and though the nausea is not gone i'm able to eat a little bit. Dont wait too long if you even think you should go listen to your body and go.
janiecw
Opinionated HGer

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 18, 2004 3:37 pm

Erin - Glad to hear that you're back to an even keel. Do the best you can at home, but remember what it felt like when you were beginning to get dehydrated and head back in if need be. Hope you don't need to pay the hospital another visit; how far along are you now?
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 18, 2004 3:38 pm

Oh, Janie--I'm so sorry about your hospital visit! You are absolutely right; usually, if you have to ask, the answer is YES, you are dehydrated and you need to go. I hope things settle back down for you!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby Atsie » Sep 18, 2004 4:22 pm

Hi Pamela,
On monday I will be 13 weeks! I have started to feel much better and haven't had to go to the ER since I was admitted. I think the meds are helping. I also think I may be getting lucky and its ending. BUT I don't want to dream to much. So I am still taking it day by day! The Dr said it may come back at 20 weeks, so we will see!
Thank you guys for all your advice! :D
Erin
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Sep 18, 2004 4:33 pm

That's great news, Erin! Usually, if HG goes it stays gone. Some women see a return in the 3rd trimester when those hormones kick back in to prepare for delivery, but if things are starting to level off for you, it's a really good sign. Stay on those meds, though; you want to wait until you feel PERFECT to start weaning down the dosages. Good luck! :)
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Return to New to the Forums