no insurance means no help

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

no insurance means no help

Postby janiecw » Aug 29, 2004 2:50 pm

My name is Jeannette I am 10 weeks pregnant with my first child, and i feel like im dying. noone ever told me it was going to be this bad. ive been in the hospital twice which i try to avoid because i dont have insurance and my husband "makes too much" to qualify for medicaid. The last time i went to the er they gave me a prescription for 3 zofran for about 4 days i had relief and was able to eat although the med was terribly expensive i called to get a refill because i ran and got right back to being as sick as i was before they refused told me to come back to the er which i cant afford and i cant get in to the ob clinic that is for no insurance untill october 4th. Ive tried everything crackers, b-6, sea bands, flat soda, nothing works does anyone know of any over the counter med that works thats safe to use? i just want some relief any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks
Jeannette
janiecw
Opinionated HGer

Postby BlueEeyore » Aug 29, 2004 6:31 pm

You can get zofran for less than most pharmacies on line at http://www.globaldrug.tv/category.asp?CtgID=1687

and you don't need a prescription. However, it is up to you to determine whether or not it is safe to import a drug from another country - especially without the guidance of a doctor.

I believe you can purchase other anti-emetics there as well. Good luck to you.
Survivor of 18 months of HG - through 2 long pregnancies.
BlueEeyore
Been There Done That

Postby RebeccaM » Aug 31, 2004 3:27 pm

Welcome Jeanette! I'm so sorry you're feeling so terrible! We all know how horrible it is to be there, and it sounds like you're in the worst of right now.

Zofran can be a wonderful druf for HG, but it's ridiculously expensive...especially without insurance! There are still many other drugs out there that you could try, some OTC, some prescription, but ALL cheaper than Zofran.

There is a very informative page on this website that list all the medications used to treat HG. You may find it very useful. Here is the link:

http://www.hyperemesis.org/mothers/trea ... ations.php

Some of the most commonly used/tried drugs around here are:

Prescription- Phenergan, Reglan, and sometimes Steroids

OTC- Unisom/B6 combo (check out the stickee post in the 1st trimester forum) and Meclizine

Check with your doctor on some of these, and maybe he will be able to recommend one. I hope this helps. Also, check out the medication experiences forum and you might find some helpful information. Stick around these forums and you will find tons of support and great information. I hope you feel better!
Rebecca
-----------
Mom to:
Tierra Ashlee 9/15/03
Eli Spencer 7/16/05
Haylee Belle 3/4/09
RebeccaM
Forum Moderator

Postby jjbeck » Sep 10, 2004 12:20 am

HI Jennette. I am sorry you are feeling so bad and sorry you are having trouble getting the meds you need. The link Rebecca posted is a great start to less expensive meds. Truthfully Zofran never helped me that much. I ended up using steroid treatment and it worked great I went from eating nothing to eating meals again w/i days. I was very surprised this worked for me as my last HG preg nothing helped and I was snet home with a PICC line and IV fluids and meds 24 hours a day.
I was able to avoid all of this with the help of steroid treatment.
Anyway, if your HG is severe this is an option for you I think as it can be extremely effective and is pretty inexpensive.
There are many other treatments out there that may help other than the zofran. Many even over the counter such as unisom, benedryl dramaine etc.
I hope you are feeling better soon.
Jen 34
HG X2

DH Bob
DD Ava 4/04
jjbeck
Been There Done That

Return to New to the Forums