Yup, me too!

Welcome to our Forums! Whether currently battling HG, planning a future pregnancy, or just needing a place to learn and be heard, start here. Sign up for a support buddy and tell us about yourself.

Moderator: PamelaRose

Yup, me too!

Postby Atsie » Aug 27, 2004 5:25 pm

Hi there,
For a month now I have been lurking around the site. I read the posts and the info and was pretty sure I had HG. BUT I was in denial. True , its hard to do with my head always in the toilet, but hey, its my first everything. 6 days after the N and V started I had already lost 7 pounds, (20 pounds loss now)the Dr put me on Diclectin. That brought the vomiting down to 5 times a day! But will the nausea ever end???? I have manged to do ok but then this week, has been awful! So today I sucked it up and went to the ER. So now its offical, I have HG. I was given fluids and gravol, felt good for about an hour, now its back to the same.
Our pregnacy was unplanned but happened at the perfect time! This month I only had to work part time, and there were days I couldn't even do that! I am 9.5 weeks pregnant and have had this since week 5! I am getting worried because my job at the school starts up soon and , to be honest, I don't know how well thats going to go.
Reading all your posts has been really helpful, so thank you very much!!!
E
Atsie
Forum Moderator

Postby bibliojo » Aug 27, 2004 5:55 pm

Hi Atsie,

First off, welcome to the forum! There's lots of great information here and the support is amazing! Hopefully this will help you get through the HG!

I totally know how you feel...I remember so well being so ill and being unable to do anything at all. I ended up taking sick leave from work so that I could do nothing but be sick and focus on those things that would help me feel better (ie sleep, sleep, sleep!) Would it be possible for you to take a sick leave from your job? I found that once the pressure of work was taken from me I was less stressed. You have enough to cope with now with HG. You don't need more!

The nausea and vomiting will eventually end and you will get through this but I know that this is little comfort to you in the midst of your suffering. Every day is so hard when you feel so ill and can't keep anything down but I would always tell myself after another day was done that that was one less day that I would have to live being sick. I had gotten through yet another day and I was one day closer to feeling better.

I noticed that your dr gave you diclectin...just curious if you live in Canada? (that's where I am!) They gave me diclectin too but I found it didn't work for me but I have learned since then that you need to take it at the same time each day for it to be the most effective. How many are you taking a day?

Hope that you feel better soon! You WILL get through this.

Joanna
2 HG pregnancies
Lukas - February 2003
Katya - October 2006

bibliojo
Forum Moderator

Postby PamelaRose » Aug 27, 2004 10:55 pm

Welcome! I'm sorry your suspicions about HG were confirmed, but it's good that you found support. Diclectin (Unisom/B6 in the US) seems to be most effective for milder HG or in combination with stronger anti-emetics; very few women are able to make it through solely on Diclectin. If your body responded so well to hydration and Gravol, then I'd ask about a regular schedule for them.

The nausea is most difficult to treat. You may experiment with meds and find something to take the edge off, but you may well hold on to that symptom throughout the pregnancy. But at 9.5 weeks, it's too early to tell. Most women do see a lessening of symptoms after 14 weeks, with the nausea becoming tolerable. Don't worry about the rest of the pregnancy; instead, focus on getting through today or this week--worry and stress just give HG more fuel. I hope you can find a happy solution to the work dilemma!
Pamela

4-Time HG Survivor
*Brody (8-11-98 )
*Avery (1-24-01)
*Reilly (12-16-02)
PamelaRose
Forums Administrator

Postby galit » Aug 28, 2004 7:16 am

Hi E,
I don't know if you have seen my other posts on diclectin but I really encourage you to look into calling Motherisk at The Hospital of sick Children in Toronto 1-800-436-8477 . They will help you with dosing of diclectin, perhaps you can increase the dose, and also keep a handy stash of Gravol supposotories in your cupboard. They were a life saver for me. I have also posted some tips and tricks about how to use diclectin best. Be sure to supplement your Diclectin with additional B6. Each Diclectin tablet contains 10 mg of B6.
Again Motherisk has great info about it, and of course if all this is not working you may have to go on to something else in combination with the diclectin, but I just want to make sure that you are taking diclectin to its fullest potential. Oh... and diclectin works best when you are hydrated...so you may want to get home health care so you can get IVs at home.

Hang in there....we all know how horrible this can be...but its easier when you know you are not the only one.
galit
4 HG pregnancies, 3 on diclectin, currently 30 weeks pregnant
galit

Return to New to the Forums